Why pre-orders?

I’m sure many of you have noticed the “pre-order” strategy Wyze has taken on new products. I know that it provides Wyze with better initial production on the front end. I find that this may have negative effect on availability offerings to those that are not on early access. Most products have initial start dates and everyone can buy at the same time and within a few days receive the item.

Somehow, I see “pre-order” strategy as unstable marketing and like they’re unsure of their product. At least at their initial offering. Any thoughts?

As far as I know, this is how Wyze always did things with new products. I’ve done the early access pre order for a few of their products. Some, I waited until their full release.

In my opinion, the early access and pre order items tend to be a bit buggier, and after full release most of those early bugs are squashed. (That was my experience with the Wyze Band and Bulbs). My pan cam and V2 were both purchased during full production and I’ve experienced very little in the way of bugs.

The outdoor camera I was an early access pre order. Didn’t get the gift, didn’t get my ‘I backed Wyze’ sticker, and other people have reported some bugs. So far my experience has been positive with little bugs - but mine was not purchased to be an outdoor camera. I just wanted a battery powered camera that I could put in the attic that would withstand temperature fluctuations and let me know if a critter got in. Lol

I kind of like the way Wyze does things, personally. Kinda makes me feel like I’m part of the process.

4 Likes

Sure, WYZE is borrowing their customer’s money, for the initial production run, rather than the bank’s. It’s smart if you can get away with it. So far they have.

4 Likes

My experience with the broken pin on the band is making me think twice before “pre-ordering” anything. It was such a problem getting the correct folks to address the issue, then heard they were on a lengthy back-order,

Also, taking your money on pre-orders is a big customer satisfaction No-No. My 3 Outdoor Cam pre-orders will be the last.

And furthermore, I just noticed a 10% discount on the band. What gives?

That’s a good way of thinking about it. I don’t mind being a customer who loans money in this way. especially when the amounts are generally not huge. Like @towelkingdom, I like being part of the process, even if it carries a bit of risk. Especially on new, consumable products. This has been a good way to ease into smart-home stuff for me, without a huge commitment.

2 Likes

Weird that my post above quotes gerrysatx, when I meant to respond to this, from @angus.black:

Sure, WYZE is borrowing their customer’s money, for the initial production run, rather than the bank’s. It’s smart if you can get away with it. So far they have.

1 Like