White light glare from camera

I have one on back wall of garage pointing to street. When I view live stream everything from garage door to street is just white light like a glare. Anyone notice this

Do you have a screenshot of this happing?

I’ll take one tomorrow in sunlight. How do I send it to you?

Rick

@doseykeno To post a screenshot, click the upload button image on the toolbar while writing your post.

Ok I have short video can I send to your email?

Rick

@doseykeno Please upload it here per my instructions above.

2 Likes

MODERATOR NOTE: This post and replies moved to its own new topic for visibility.

Ok here are pics of both garage doors. All I have is white glare outside of garage doors. Any ideas
Thanks

There’s noting that you can do about the sun being over exposed to the camera but you can try changing the position of the camera and try moving it closer maybe move it to the left wall.

2 Likes

I agree with @mixonepa. The camera does its best to average the contrast. But with the huge contrast difference between the dimmer inside and the very bright light outside, it isn’t able to compensate to see both areas clearly. I think you will find this would be the same with pretty much any streaming camera.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. The iPhone video though works fine. The phone camera must be higher quality.
Thanks for your reply. I’m getting more high speed internet tomorrow. Maybe that could help. Currently cameras work good on my WiFi but when I leave house my iPhone data doesn’t work at all. I currently hand DSL 1,5 mbps. I can see you laughing

Since I have you here. All 3 of my cameras quit sending Alert Notifications. I have all settings currect. They’ve been working fine until today. And now nothing. They do record on my sd card. But no notifications

The iPhone may be a better camera, but likely more important is that the iPhone will set light levels and focus based on a fairly small part (user selectable) of the image. If you want to see this, take a photo with the iPhone once with the camera selected to focus in a dark part of the garage, and then take another with the focus set to something outside. The two photos will be substantially different.

The first thing to do would be to power cycle the cameras, your modem/router and your phone. If that doesn’t restore notifications, we can go from there.

As for not being able to connect when the phone is on cellular, that may be related.

Here’s the connectivity troubleshooting guide:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012903431-Connectivity-issues

If that doesn’t solve it, keep in mind that this is primarily a user-to-user forum. If you don’t get help here from the community, file a support ticket, preferably from within the app while the bad camera is selected. That will ensure that the logs are captured. You might want to submit the ticket right away because there’s somewhat of a backlog. You can always let them know it’s already resolved when they contact you.

1 Like

HDR is used in many phone cameras. Basically, they take multiple images at different exposures and combine them via software so more of the image looks properly exposed.

HDR images can represent a greater range of luminance levels than can be achieved using more traditional methods, such as many real-world scenes containing very bright, direct sunlight to extreme shade, or very faint nebulae. This is often achieved by capturing and then combining several different, narrower range, exposures of the same subject matter.[1][2][3][4] Non-HDR cameras take photographs with a limited exposure range, referred to as LDR, resulting in the loss of detail in highlights or shadows.

The reason for this is that the camera does not have rods and cones like your eye to adjust to multiple light levels, it only has an single aperture, which means one brightness level adjustment at a time (in this case it may not really be an mechanical aperture). A second camera positioned closer to the outside garage door will adjust to the outside lighting level instead of the inside lighting level. Such as mounting a separate camera on that white cabinet at the rear passenger side of the auto, facing outside into the brighter light source. This scenario is roughly akin to taking a photograph with a digital camera looking into the sun, the subjects are silhouetted as a result of the over powering back lighting. I recommend mounting a camera at the upper corner of the garage door looking outside as close to the door as possible without interfering with the up & down operation of the garage door. This should solve your problem.

Hope this helps,

Thanx,

73’

Tuna

2 Likes

Yes thanks very helpful. So power cycle camera. Is that just unplugging it? And replugging in

You can plug and unplug the camera or use the restart device in the app. Some people say they messed up their µSD cards unplugging their cameras while it is recording. That we have not experienced and do occasionally unplug our cameras. Probably best to use the restart device from the app to be safe. It is under the little gear on the live view screen of each camera at the bottom of the screen in red.

Thanx,

73’

Tuna

phone cameras (especially higher end phones) generally speaking have better sensor, and WAAAY more powerful processor, it does HDR processing in the background to compensate the strong contrast. It’s technically possible to do, but the camera will likely cost $500.