What type of USB 50ft extension cable do i use for cam pan 3? 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, 3.2?

Cam pan 3 works fine on the installed 6 foot usb cord. But the wifi won’t connect when i add the 50ft usb 2.0 extension i bought. Even tried within my house. I need it that long to reach the birdhouse out in the yard. Any wise help appreciated.

Oh, and i ran a 50 ft 110v cord out to the birdhouse and plugged in the 6ft usb cord and it all works fine. I just don’t want to run a 110v line out there permanently since i don’t know if the HOA is going to make me move it to the backyard.

The limit is around 20-25 feet on a USB cable, too much voltage drop beyond that length.

You could also consider using “Low Voltage Wiring” and burying the wire from an A.C. power outlet (indoors) power supply to the cameras. Then use a 12 volt to 5 volt micro-USB regulator adapter and install to camera.

The power Supply mounts indoors but the cable to camera can be longer as the 5 volts is regulated at the camera. And Voltage drop due to cable length is not an issue as the regulator will work with as low as 9 volts input.

I have ran over 180 feet of 2 conductor cable to camera with this setup, use low voltage lighting wiring it can be buried, it is weatherproof and UV resistant.

Connect the 12v to 5v micro-USB regulator adapter to cable matching polarity ( +red -black ) along cable where a camera is needed if more than 1 camera just get a 12 volt adapter with more current (Amps) The Adapter regulator is weatherproof except the micro-USB itself but the boot on the V3 takes care of that.

Links below to several power supplies, 2 Amp for 1 V3 pan camera. or 5 amp for 2 V3 pan cameras,
choose according to your needs. The cable run can have multiple connections for cameras along cable.

12 volt input to 5 volt output micro-USB cable (adapter) ← Sold out currently

12v to 5v Micro-USB adapter ← Alternate

12 volt power supply 2 amp with connector adapter

12 volt power supply 5 amp with connector adapter

14/2 Low Voltage Landscape Wire - 100 feet

Gardner Bender 25-1W1 Watergard Weatherproof Twist-On Wire Connectors, 22-12 AWG, Small Direct-Buried

This location originally had a V2 in an enclosure, the 12v to 5v adapter has been exposed to rain, snow, and heat of summer for over 3 years. Recently replaced V2 with a V3

Below is an event captured by this camera, note I don’t use IR as I get too many flying bug triggers.

4 Likes

ALL excellent suggestions to help with a problem that is trying to do something unsupported.

You might also try swapping out the 1.0 amp Wyze adapter for one that is hmm, about 2.0 or 2.3 amps. That boost might be just enough to make the difference.

Its my experience that the Wyze 1.0 amp adapter works, but is marginally enough. So, like others suggested here, I replaced mine with high amp adapters and it also resolved the frequent temp offline conditions.

1 Like

If they have a V3 pan it already has a 2 amp supply that should of come with it.

1 Like

You do an awesome job sharing stuff like this with people looking for similar solutions. Your experience at having implemented long cabling and remote setups is really great stuff.

I’m jealous you get bears near you too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like the provided adapter already is 2 amp. But that was a likely issue easily checked. Thanks.

1 Like

Correct.

I’ve ordered the parts for the 12v line to birdbox. Recently buried over 600 feet of low voltage wire all over front yard for landscape lighting so this should be easy. Thanks so much for the solution, links and advice. Will let you know.
Ps, the birdhouse has 4 chambers so the camera is in the middle and rotates to check each chamber. Built mostly out of things i bought at goodwill store.

1 Like

If anyone notices, I cut & paste from my previous posts stuff like this :rofl:

3 Likes

I noticed it was very similar to other posts of yours that I already bookmarked, but that’s fine by me considering it’s all still relevant. I do that sometimes too with certain posts. Sometimes I’ll do it in a quote block, but not always. Sometimes I’ll customize it a little bit, but copying something that is still the same and still relevant just makes you smart and efficient so you can help answer someone else instead of say it’s not worth the effort of rewriting everything again when you already did. No harm in that IMO.

2 Likes

Not at 50 ft, both voltage and amps will suffer. Landscape wire and voltage regulator as bryonhu suggested is the best solution. I had my cameras on a 43 ft USB cable and they barely worked, changed them all except one as I don’t have another choice with that. It streams fine but no two way audio and siren, not enough power for that.

1 Like

Just wanted to let you know that the solution above using a 12-volt landscaping line is working perfectly. I’m very grateful for your exceptional advice and experience. Camera is working great and i can now see all 4 “apartments” in the birdhouse.

3 Likes

Glad to hear your camera is working now with the new power adapter.

2 Likes

An active extension cable https://a.co/d/71gUQvW will do what you want. This one is 32 feet so you will need an extension cable also.

According to the description I doubt that Active USB cable will work, It’s for data only, as most are.

• NOTE: Does not work for charging smartphones or tablets; not recommended for webcams, video cameras, devices with high power consumption, or home-theater electronics
1 Like

I have two in operation right now powering two v3 cams on either end of my home. They do work.

1 Like

That’s good to know, as that’s what was preventing me to go and buy them.

Thanks for confirming that they work :+1:

1 Like

Turn ON the Siren and the I.R. LED’s then talk through App to camera, doubt at FULL current draw it stays working :rofl: on a 32 foot USB cord