V3 camera - allow continuous recording more than 9 days

I have the same, TFL and Medicare. I’m in it for the $$$$. I just scored a $2,300 a month retirement pay raise from the Military in June, soon to be a $3,600 per month retirement pay raise for a total of $8,600 per month. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Never heard of Gibibyte. Is that a mistype or a new term unfamiliar to me?

Thanks.

1 Like

@Seapup @Antonius Thank you both for your service. You deserve all or more than you can get.

I figured 8 years was enough for me and went hi-tech. I didn’t want to lose my technical edge.

1 Like

Anyway thanks for all the answers on the desire to have 3-4 weeks of recordings available. I usually do not wander off for more than 10 days and I review via remote access if I do. If I see something interesting I will playback and download it. I don’t think I have the attention span to go through the amount of recordings from a 3-4 week period. :grin:

1 Like

okay. Nice derailment with gibibytes.

I’ll clarify. Don’t you dare delete footage from the SD card unless doing so is absolutely mandatory to prevent a write failure due to filesystem full E_NOSPACE kernel error. If we buy a 1tb microsd card, we get a tibibyte of video on the card before it starts clearing old video to make space for new.

1 Like

Wow. I am learning new words today. Thanks.

1 Like

The standardized terminology gibibyte is not new, it’s just the way to indicate you’re talking about Binary calculations instead of decimal calculations.

Having said that, I unofficially half wonder if it’s a Mandela effect example that you and I and others were swapped into this alternate universe, because when I was studying computers in both tech college and also university, I don’t remember anyone ever mentioning -ibibytes… We just got an explanation of the difference, but not a special -ibibyte word. :man_shrugging: I mean I heard of megabyte and megabit but not mebibyte.

Now out of the blue those -ibibyte words are used a lot. So I’m claiming it’s a new multi-verse we got sucked into somehow because nobody used to use those words and now they do and they say they’ve always been used.
Just roll with it and enjoy the new universe we got sucked into buddy.

2 Likes

Language changes. Some language spreads faster than other, depending on the kinds of folks you speak with. If you were working in the mass storage industry, you probably heard about gibi vs giga. I was a software engineer for most of my career, and never encountered this until a couple of years ago, when I realized that sometimes storage specs showed “Gib” rather than GB. I never cared too much about the relatively small difference.

In any event, you can learn more about the introduction of the term (in the mid-90’s) at this Wikipedia link.

3 Likes

Interesting. Thanks for the link to the history.

I was doing a tech college in '98 for Computer certifications, and it wasn’t in any info at all, then in University I took some computer science classes in 2001 (thinking I would do that as a major at first), and there was still no mention of it.

Then in 2018-2019 I completed another tech college specifically for Software technology, and still no mention of it in any of my courses or textbooks.

Then around 2020 I saw it mentioned somewhere and looked it up and felt like I was in the twilight zone. I mean, I knew all about the decimal vs binary counting differences for all that time and always explained it to people. My education had definitely gone over all that, I knew all about it…but nobody had ever written anything as MiB except for Hollywood using Will Smith to talk about Aliens, or GiB or anything. All that terminology just magically appeared out of the blue…and I was even trained in higher education in the computer and tech field and still it seemed to come out of nowhere.

I know realistically it’s been around since the 90’s or whatever…but it sure seems like one of those Mandella Effects where it just suddenly changed and appeared out of nowhere, so I like my multiverse theory. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I agree. Wonder where I will wake up tomorrow.

Luckily I am open to learn new tricks, but not the odd ones.

1 Like

True. Good trivia but it’s not life changing. Luckily it doesn’t affect my portfolio.

…and STILL we wait!

1 Like

The fix for this has been launched into public beta! If all goes well, it will be launched to production for everyone else soon! Just thought I’d update everyone waiting on info about this. If you’re already a public Beta Tester, go update your V3’s to the latest firmware and your cards should now use the full 256GB! :slight_smile:

7 Likes

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Two Factor Authentication Requirement

…and we continue to wait…

They just barely tonight launched the latest Beta test for the new firmware with all the remaining major fixes they were waiting on (the previous one they released caused a couple of unintended consequences, so they had to make some corrections first). I just installed it, and so far it has resolved everything as I would’ve expected. If positive results continue to come in, I expect this will be the one that gets launched publicly soon. It seems like a winner so far.

Trust me, we want things like this to go through good testing first.

3 Likes

As an experienced software developer, recently retired from a large and very well recognized and respected company, I am extremely familiar with the QA and field testing processes.

I can tell you that allowing this sort of trivial bug to languish this long is very difficult to justify. It reflects very poorly on Wyze. I don’t know whether the issue is technical competence, managerial competence, or deliberate product management choices (i.e., deliberately delaying a fix that might compete with subscription revenue).

I know that I am not favorably impressed by Wyze’s mishandling of this bug.

Astonishing. We are STILL waiting.

Just an update on my 256GB High Endurance SD card test in my Cam V3 running Beta FW 4.36.10.2632. So far stable operation with recording and playback.

Card began overwriting oldest footage today at 225.21G of 232.92G on the card.

Recording in HD continuously, video can be accessed back 24 days, 8 hours, and 20 minutes.

:+1:

6 Likes

@SlabSlayer I can confirm similar results on same beta FW with 27 days before overwriting at about 230 Gig of 238 Gig shown on card.

I wonder if I can ask you to try a quick test on playback please? press the playback button from the live screen and wind back to a 55 seconds mark, but not older than 60 minutes ago, Do you get any buffering/freeze at the 00-01 seconds mark?

Jeremy

1 Like