Unable to perform network setup of Wyze Robot Vacuum

Just to close the loop on this: after reading all these helpful inputs I accessed my router and disabled the 5 ghz option leaving only the 2.4 Ghz band (Is that the right term?) AFter the "connecting mode stalled twice I persevered and I now have an operational robot vacuum!

After 3 days of pulling my hair out, using an older Android phone LG Astro worked liked a charm.

I have Google WiFi mesh which uses 2.4 GHz and 5 Ghz arbitrarily without your control. I tried walking away to find a spot between the bands, turning off mobile data, disabling auto-connect, using guest network, and a promising hotspot trick. Started to give up and preparing to return the sucker but then came across an advice to use an older phone which cannot connect to 5 Ghz. Have a bunch of them but the first one did the trick.

When opened Wyze app on my newer phone which refused to connect (a 3-year-old Samsung Note 8), vacuum already showed up and offered normal control. Did my first happy cleanup.

I was getting ready to do the same on my WRT3200ACM running OpenWRT 19.07.5, but I think I’ve found a solution:

I have multiple SSID’s on different subnets to segregate different types of devices on different VLANs and subnets. On my 802.11bgn radio I disabled the “Allow legacy 802.11b rates” from the advanced tab. This solved the problem for my Wyze Vacuum, but broke my ADT Smartthings hub. I resolved it by disabling the same SSDI on the 5GHz radio as most all my IOT devices are 2.4GHz.

Not ideal, but it worked and was better than using a second WAP or using my phone’s hotspot to get to the latest firmware in the hopes that this would resolve it.

Good luck.

For EERO users, got into “settings” and the “troubleshooting”, select “my device won’t connect” and answer “my device is 2.4 GHz only” and then it will let you disable 5GHz temporarily.

In my case (Google WiFi) the issue was on the iOS app.

Using an Android device did the trick for me. The Vacuum is showing and working fine in iOS which means only the setup is broken.

I hope this helps.

I am having similar/same problem with my robot. I get “Request binding failed. Please try again”. after I click “next” in the “Select your Network” page. I am using Wyze android app v2.16.23. . I have turned off cellular data and the phone is connected to “WVCR_***” SSID. Frustrating. Any ideas?

Same here - all IOS and “Request binding failed. Please try again.” If I begin the run in a Bluestacks Android emulator, it at least gets past that “binding” point. I cannot complete, of course, because the emulator has the be on the same wifi as the vacuum and Bluestacks is simply using a gateway to the wifi my laptop uses.

Android version 11
Wyze app 2.16.55 (latest on Play Store)
before each connection attempt

• Mobile data off
  • Forget the WVCR_… wifi connection in phone
  • hold down the buttons for vacuum to reset its wifi as stated in app setup, through process and get the inevitable connection failed

Home network connection is Amplifi HD which broadcasts in 2.4 and 5Ghz, Wyze failed to connect on multiple attempts
Router does allow additional SSIDs to be setup specific for 2.4 or 5 GHZ which I tried setting up a 2.4 GHZ SSID and going through the connection process, Wyze connection failed

Disconnected the Amplifi HD router from and setup a TP Link Archer C9 with only 2.4GHZ, so phone was connected to 2.4Ghz (verified in phone settings), Wyze connection failed. Also tried setting 2.4 GHZ connection to 11n only as someone recommended above, still failed connection.

wifi network connections within the phone has an Auto-connect option , typically on by default, have tried going through the process with it on and off, Wyze connection failed

within the phone when connecting to a wifi connection without internet (WVCR_…) there is a notification “this connection has no internet, do you want to stay connected”, select Yes, Wyze connection ends up failing. Select No and Wyze app reverts back to the screen to select the WVCR_… connection.

It seems to be either failing on the handoff from the Wyze wifi connection back to home network connection (or failing to get to backend servers) ?

A while ago, I had been using Belkin Wemos they had this issue of the mobile data had to be off to setup them up which they did not have in the steps they provide with the products, they were always very sketchy on setup. I stopped using them for that reason. Kasa smart plugs etc, don’t require you to connect to some device temporary wifi, don’t require you to shut off your mobile data, the app just finds the new device and connects it to your home network your phone is connected to - simple. (hint - do that!)

I can understand if there was a backend server issue (but they should have awareness of that and put it on their issues page or send out some communication), but I don’t see how they could not be able to navigate the wireless connection from phone to home network to internet like every other smart device has been doing for years (should be solved, not something new to try out).

Back on Jan 20, Wyze posted : AWS reports that we should be back online now. If you are still having trouble connecting your Wyze Robot Vacuum to WiFi, please contact Wyze Customer Support.

On Jan 22 there was request to update app to latest version (done) and to update the vacuum firmware (which can’t happen without the app completing setup ?)

QUESTION for this community: What is the process to get a ticket or something into Wyze on the issue ?
(the “please contact Wyze Customer Support” just lead you through FAQs. Obviously either this gets addressed or it gets returned, assuming there is limited time for a return). I’d feel better if Wyze would put on their Service Status Update page that there is a known issue with setup and at least acknowledge it, or add some more detailed process steps and what to expect to see at each step.

-Big Round Brick Owner

2 Likes

Same exact thing as poster above, except i am using multiple different ios devices. All on the latest wyze app released yesterday. Have done same steps and tried with multiple different routers and ssid’s. With and without 5ghz on them.

I have an Orbi mesh router and samsung phone as well and am experiencing the same issues. I’ve went through the entire process, troubleshooted per the documentation (disconnected cell data, rebooted modem/router countless times) and nothing. I am very disappointed.

Yes, I use Google Wifi - received my unit yesterday, same problem. Everything seems perfect up until it won’t bing the networks together.

Found this support article buried - https://wyzelabs.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360054871592-Important-Set-up-your-Wyze-Robot-Vacuum-ASAP

" but what it does mean is that if your Wyze Robot Vacuum isn’t set up using the Wyze app by 1/20/2021, you’ll need to ship it back"

That’s lovely since it was impossible to set my robot up by that date, as i only received it on the 22nd.

re: you’ll need to ship it back

if anyone finds the details for the “shipping it back process” please share here for the rest of us. I did not get my vac before 1/20, so assuming this is the issue we have been seeing.

After 45 mins on hold with the support line I got through and they created a ticket for me to return/replace the vacuum.

Sounds like I will get a new unit shipped, and it will contain a return shipping label with it for the “defective” unit. They said label will either be in the new packaging, or may come in an email.

Disappointed not to get a functioning unit yet, but at least the replacement process sounds like it will be painless.

I recommend calling Wyze support and explain to them the details, or use the live chat on the support page.

Get a support ticket number and post it here in this thread.

Directions for a return see link below.

Wyze Support (206) 339-9646

Available Monday - Friday 5 am - 6 pm PT and Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

How to Submit a Return

Would have been nice if this had been emailed to all of us who have been posting or have tickets. Going back

Same issues here. Tried to use my google wifi with no luck, so I setup an old Asus router that allowed me to setup a seperate 2.4ghz network. Still having issues connecting the vacuum to the wireless network.

I have the lastest app, turned off mobile data while setting up, etc.

From another phone and app I was able to see the vacuum appear, but it went away after the setup failed on the first phone.

My robot works now. On my ATT wired+wireless modem, I disabled 5ghz.
I reinstalled the Wyze app on my android phone.
On the phone, i clicked to forget the WV…network.
On the phone I turned off cellular data.
On the robot, I pressed the two buttons for it to “reset the wifi connection”
On the android phone, I connected to WV…and when it prompted for stay connected w/o iinternet connection, I said yes
On the wyze app, i manually added the 2,4gz ssid and password, it then went to the next step asking me to connect to the WV SSID on the phone, which I did and then it went on to the next step to name the robot etc.

Also, while my ssid does not have special characters, my password for the ssid has special character in them.

There was a small update rolled out today. This fixed the setup problems for me. We are currently sucking and mapping.

Dave