Unable To Connect To Wyze Cam While Away From Home On Cell Or WiFi

This issue started about 2-3 months ago. I have 6 cameras installed in a summer home in northern MN. When at the home on my local WiFi I am able to connect to each of my cameras and it works great, cameras come right up. When away from home and on cell or another WiFi I am unable to connect to any of my cameras with my iPhone or iPad. The camera goes through it’s 3 step connecting process: Connecting Camera(1 of 3), Authenticating(2 of 3), Getting Video Data(3 of 3) but does not come up, then it will retry up to 10 times before I get a “connection failed” error. I’ve power cycled the cameras, forced the App closed and cleared the Cache but no change, still unable to connect. I am able to see event video fine while on cell or a different WiFi network. This occurs about 90-95% of the time, the other 5-10% the camera’s do come up but the majority of the time they don’t. What’s odd is that this happens on both my iPhone & iPad but my wife is able to bring the cameras up on her iPhone just fine with no issues. This tells me it’s a iPhone setting or something set up differently with her iPhone or Wyze App but I’m not able to identify anything different. Please help, I will have to replace these cameras if I’m unable to find a solution to this issue real soon. I did IM Chat with Wyze Support and they said it’s a known issue and the engineers are working on it but gave me no details. I recently emailed Support again last week and have had no response. Has anyone else had this issue? Any solution?

3 Likes

I am having the same problems with my iPhone and iPad. My Android tablet developed problems with the latest update. However, when I reverted the Anroid to the previous app version, the problems disappeared. I believe the current problems with the iPhone app appeared when the latest app update was downloaded. I am disappointed with Wyze for taking so long to fix this problem which severely hampers the function of the cameras with iPhones and iPads. As a minimum, they could revert to the previous version of the app.

Welcome to the community!
Take a look here:

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. It’s getting out of hand. The cameras do me NO good if I can’t monitor them. 12 seconds of recording is stupid anyway, but if I could monitor the live stream when I need to I could live with it. POS if you ask me, wish I’d never bought them. Next time I will get a real security camera system.

2 Likes

I worked with Wyze Support and sent them a scan of the network. They came back and based on the data they received it appears to be my internet connection. I have 6 cameras on a 3Meg Internet connection and said I have too many devices to view the live stream. I’ve had 6 cameras on the network before with no issues, not sure what’s changed. I plan to shut half of them off to determine if I can reach them then. Doesn’t make sense my wife has no issues with her iPhone seeing the live stream when having 6 cameras connected.

2 Likes

After 2 years with this post we still have the same problem without any support or update from Wyze :frowning:

4 Likes

Because they don’t really care. We bought their cameras, they got our money and since we don’t want to be milked for more money they are unconcerned. I wouldn’t mind paying for the service if the cameras worked well. IMO they don’t, even when I had the 12 second video. Now they are of no use to me. Can’t record to SD card, a single snapshot is useless and one of mine doesn’t even do that anymore.

3 Likes

My wife and I can’t connect away from home 90% of the time. We both use Android phones

1 Like

I am not sure if this workaround below will improve the video doorbell ability to stay connected, but it does make it get unstuck and connected. Mine has not lost connection even once yet using this workaround to get connected:
In the meantime while we wait for a fix, here is the workaround that I found and let Wyze know about:
When your LIVE feed gets to “Step3: Getting video data” and gets stuck, press the gear to go to ‘settings’, select ‘Advanced Settings’, select Night Vision ‘On’ and then ‘Off’, then press the ‘<’ key to go back to LIVE feed and it will connect.
It took me a long time to find this workaround. I expect that it will work for everyone having this issue since it seems to unstick it by going thru night vision mode. Sorry, but if you use Night Vision, you will have to turn it back on. But, at least it is a reliable way to temporarily conquer this bug.
Your welcome. I hope it works for you too.