Troubleshooting Recommendations for Pan Cam v2 with Solid Red LIght

One of my Wyze Pan Cam v2’s seemingly died recently as it was no longer available in the app. Thinking it might have lost WiFi connectivity, I pulled the power cable and let it sit before trying to in the app again but no go. Turns out when the cable is plugged in, I get a solid red light that remains indefinitely.

• Pushing the Setup button does nothing
  • Pressing & holding the Setup button for an extended period of time does nothing.
  • Roving the power cable, pressing & holding the setup button then reconnecting the power cable (all while still holding the setup button) does nothing either
  • I’ve done the above tests with & without the microSD card plugged in - no change
  • I’ve tried powering the unit with a different cable & power adapter - no change

I’ve had the camera for I nearly 2 years and while WiFi connectivity was an issue here & there, usually a reboot solved it for a few weeks.

Before I ewaste/ecycle this device, are there any other official or unofficial things I should try?

The only thing you haven’t listed is an attempt to manually flash the firmware.

When you do the factory reset, holding the setup button for 10s without an SD Card, does the light flash at all or does it stay solid red the entire time with no change?

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The light stay solid red the entire time with no change.
I can try th firmware update, was sort of on my list but given the response (or lack thereof) so far I wasn’t sure of it was worth trying.

1 Like

I wouldn’t give much hope to a firmware flash then. But if you do try, I would go back at least one or two versions, perhaps something 4.49.1 ish.

1 Like

I gave it a go but no dice. Oh well. The other 2 are working just fine so I’ll replace this with a Pan Cam v3 and probably get a warranty.
Thanks for your help and time @SlabSlayer!

1 Like

What is the warranty on the Wyze Cam V2? I have the same issue, tried everything you did and still just a solid red light. This happened right after I accepted the “Update Firmware” in the app yesterday. Was going to do a setup and deleted the camera from the app. Formatted the SD card and loaded the firmware (4.49.3.4054) but the light wont change.

All Wyze cams purchased new have a 12 month warranty period.

When you flash firmware. It is imperative that you do a Factory Reset w\ no SD Card immediately prior to flashing, that you use a 32GB or smaller FAT32 formatted SD Card, and that you verify that you have the correct file named appropriately.

Thanks for the info, but I did try all of those up to trying the reset. At this point it is still sitting there looking like Rudolph, so I tried the reset again and no go, oh well, its past 12 months so now into “The Box of Failed Devices” it goes, where it will join the Cam v2s. I am now down to a Cam v3.

Did anyone find a fix for solid red light after firmware message accepted because my 2 V2 cams did this exact thing and when I reached out to support I was a couple days past my 12 month period so they said I was out of luck and gave me a 5 dollar gift card. I don’t think this is a coincidence that all these cameras are now unusable after an update. I haven’t thrown mine away yet but need to cancel the cam plus still. I hold onto the hope they will realize their mistake and push out an update but I cannot get the red light to go off no matter what I do.

Mine just did the same thing today ! I got a new camera for outside , and I bought mine cam pan v2 , June 11, 2022. It did 2 updates and now won’t work. Smh. It’s definitely no coincidence !! They’re putting updates out to stop people’s cameras from working, forcing them to buy a new one ! But I’m not. They’re going to give me a new one , or I’m going to a different brand of cameras. This is crazy !!!

1 Like

Check out the Reolink lineup. I have been switching cause Wyze decided to be more about the money than its customers. RTSP? no problem, most have it, a few don’t.
A bit pricier but the peace of mind, Priceless. :blush:

This happened to my wyze cam pan v2 as well - stuck on solid red. Camera was hardly out of the box! Disappointing.

It has a 1 year warranty.

i ordered it last black friday and unfortunately it was 2 days after 1 year so it wasn’t covered. I realize it is only a 30 dollar item but I feel it was the update that did it and I have the cam plus for a year so I will buy another but I was disappointed in their lack of understanding or accountability.

The Pan Cams will Factory Reset and flash firmware in the same manner as the other cams. I have been successful flashing firmware on a PanV1.

Here are some Firmware Flash Tips…

Did this step by step and I can still use mine as a Christmas prop for my reindeer nose, basically that’s all its good for now.

1 Like

As to being a few days out of warranty, any reputable company would honour a warranty a few days up to a week outside it. Just my 2 cents. if their CS is so harsh based on what IMHO is a faulty firmware then personally I would not buy another and take the hit on the CAM Plus. Can you not cancel for a refund or is that also locked down?

Eureka !! Its alive!! I will list below the conditions that occurred to resurrect the Wyze Cam Pan V2. I am not saying all the conditions are necessary just listing as they occurred.

1. It was raining all day. In December, that was weird, usually its snow.
  2. The camera was on top of my electronic junk box just begging me to do something.
  3. I had a 32 GB SD card with the firmware bin on it. put a copy at the root as well as left one in the folder as per the support doc.
  4. Inserted in camera and holding down the reset button plugged it in.
  5. Red light, nothing happening. Left it like that and went about my day.
  6. 8 hrs later, going to bed I plugged it out.
  7. You ever just say to yourself “maybe I’ll just try the reset again”? So I did.:blush:
  8. Lo and behold there came about a change, THERE WAS a blueish light. I was awake now!! I released the reset button and lo an behold it had changed to a flashing red light. In this moment there was no sweeter sound than hearing “Ready to connect”
  9. I instantly grabbed my phone went in the app, clicked on “Add device” and went through the steps. The rest as they say is history.
    Note: it did pop-up with a Firmware update message but I declined. I was not about to tempt fate. Left it to keep watch over my computer room. Still watching me now. :eyes:.
    What are your thoughts on taking that update? Should I roll the dice or stand pat?
1 Like