Support 5GHz wifi band for Wyze Devices

Please add 5g connection to Wyze thermostat. I had to update my router and now I can not connect to the thermostat. Thank you.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @sonicmike68!

When you update your router, it should have dual band compatibility. I donā€™t know any that donā€™t support the very wildly used 2.4Ghz band.

Make sure the 2.4Ghz band SSID and Password is the exact same as your last router and all Wyze devices will reconnect without any resets.

If it is absolutely necessary to change the SSID or Password, all Wyze devices will need to be reinstalled. Do not delete them from the app, just run a new setup as if you were installing them new so you can enter the new SSID and Password.

5G Network Compatibility for Wyze Cam Pan

Can you please add 5G to the compatibility for Wyze Cam Pan? Im currently out of the country and this camera I got for Christmas is the only way I can check on my pets, and my wifi only has a 5G option. Please advise.

Welcome to the Wyze User Community Forum @kylie12!

All Wyze cams, with the exception of the Video Doorbell Pro, connect only on the 2.4GHz band - preferred for itā€™s strength of signal at greater distances and through barriers.

All modern WiFi routers that I am aware of are backward compatible to the older band protocols of 2.4GHz. If your router is 802.11 b, g, or n, it has a 2.4GHz band. It may need configured to show in your Network List as a seperate network (seperate SSID and PW), but it is most likely still there. 802.11 a, n, or ac is 5GHz. 802.11 ax is 6GHz. The specs on your WiFi router should reveal itā€™s network protocols.

If your WiFi router is dual or tri band broadcasting on a single SSID, you should be able to connect your cam to the network without issues even if the app device is operating on another band.

2 Likes

Using a 2.4 GHz has limitations. I have three Wyze cams that I have outdoors, all about 150 to 200 feet from my house. I get around the distance by purchased a cheap (indoors) extender and mounted it in an upside down open ended plastic bottle outside about 75 feet from the house, where the signal in marginal .Cost via Amazon was $29.99, plastic bottle $0. The cams work very well. Too extend the reception I have used twisted electrical wire around the antennas. See attached pictures. 2.4GHz is generally not the issue, its the reception or distance that causes the problem

1 Like

Wyze said theyā€™re looking at allowing 5GHz on some future cameras:

Why have there been no cameras with 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz?

1 Like

Please let cameras like the v3 use 5ghz. I had to recently upgrade my internet and had to get 5ghz and my cameras do not work with 5ghz :frowning:I really love my cameras but so sad/mad it donā€™t work with 5ghz

What brand and model of WiFi router are you using? Nearly every WiFi router made is backward compatible with the older protocols on 2.4GHz which will work with your Wyze Cams.

It may be that this band needs to be enabled in the new router or that your new router was set up with a separate SSID and Password for each band.

In order for your Wyze devices to log into the new network without any reinstallation, the 2.4GHz network or the single multi-band network must have the same SSID and Password as the old one.

2 Likes

Better late than never, maybe. But my network provider went to 5G as well. I called them and explained my problem with having to reinstall my Wyze Camsā€¦one of which is beyond easy reach. I said Iā€™d have to look @ other provider options rather than reinstall my Wyze Cams. Lo and behold all of a sudden MY existing router/modem(?) whatever it is could be tweaked by them to 5Gā€¦keeping my ā€œkeyā€ and network name the same. No reinstall of my Wyze Cams. Question your network providersā€¦