Smoke Alarm notification failed

A few days ago the smoke alarm went off in my kitchen and neither cam I have setup in the house (one in the living room approx 15ft away) or one on the 2nd floor detected the alarm and sent/logged a notification. Using Wyze Cam 2 with the latest firmware. Any ideas?

1 Like

Dumb question - Do you have smoke alarm notification turned on? Default is OFF.

My notification setting is turned on. I have a first alert brand smoke alarm. It’s loud af. Like my neighbor came over once cause he heard it from his house and it was going off for a min or 2 because I was cooking and didn’t want to mess my meal up.

I can also confirm that my Pan NEVER alerts me when my smoke alarm goes off and it’s gone off on a few occasions since I’ve had my camera.

Same issue here. The sound alerts are not trustworthy. Most of the times sounds and alarms don’t trigger my cams mic, even when set to high sensitivity. Really disappointing! Hoping someone from Wyze chimes in soon on this before I start leaving negative reviews on Amazon!

One of our mods let me know about this conversation. Could you please tell me more about what you’ve been experiencing? We’d love to look into this!

As a quick note, the “Ask the Community” section is intended for community discussion and Wyze employees don’t necessarily chime in. For stuff like this we’d usually recommend contacting our support people. Looks like we missed the conversation from last year! @LAZZZERS, did this improve for you over time?

1 Like

Hi. Thanks for your message.

I have two issue with my unit.

1. The micro sd card slot won’t work.

2. Visual detections work well. Sound detections sometimes don’t work at all! I set my fire alarm off and it didn’t capture the event or notify me! This is happening a lot!

J Deschamps
Static Motion Pictures

staticmotionpictures.com

That really stinks! We’re sorry about that. This is probably going to be something that support helps you out with. They’ll probably be able to get these things working with you but if that doesn’t work they’d be able to help with a replacement.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

Same here - no luck with smoke alarms. CO alarm detection is random, too…

In my testing of smoke alarm detection, I have noticed that one test cycle on the unit is not enough. I must let the alarm blare for perhaps a full minute, and then it gets detected. I think this is a good thing to reduce false alarms from short term detector tests or when the alarm is set off by kitchen smoke and quickly canceled by the cook.

Same here. I have tried multiple tests of the smoke detectors and have failed to receive any notifications from my camera. My wife does not like the lost of privacy with the WYZE camera in our home but she like the smoke detector alarm notifications…if it works. I have sent a message to wyze support and it will be 3-10 days before an answer. May be too late for my wife and the end of wyze in our home. Does anyone have an answer for this problem of no notifications following a smoke detctor test. Hope to hear a solution.

I’ve had the opposite problem.

A few times my lights have started flashing red and I find a notice that the carbon monoxide alarm was triggered on the living room camera. I have an IFTTT trigger that does that.

The last time it happened, I asked Curadh if an alarm had gone off and he said one did on the television show he was watching. He said it was during a prison breakout scene.

My house was built in 1993 and at the time of construction only two hard wired smoke detectors were sufficient as per building code. These smoke alarms emit the traditional high pitched beeep-beeep-beeep. Wyze cam can detect the SOUND of these smoke alarms when I have that feature enabled in the Wyze app. However, shortly after moving into my home, I decided to bring the fire safety up to current code standard so I purchased several wireless interconnected first alert combination smoke/CO alarms to add to the existing system. These alarms emit a noticeably more unique horn type of sound that is very different from the traditional beeep-beeep-beeep. I must report that Wyze cams unfortunately, in my experience, DO NOT detect this unique horn type of sound for my particular newer smoke/CO alarms. For specifics, here is the model number info for my combination smoke/CO alarms that Wyze cam is not detecting the sound of:

First Alert
Model no. SCO500

Demonstration video:
Although this is a slightly different model number, the sound is the same as mine in the video demonstration. I tried holding the test button down so that the alarm would sound continuously, which it did, (not done in the video) and still Wyze cam did not detect its sound.

For comparison, below is a demonstration video of my hard wired smoke alarms that emit the traditional beeep-beeep-beeep.

P.S. Yes, I also replaced my hard wired smoke alarms too, these are not from 1993.

Specifics:
First Alert
Model no. 9120B