Rules for overnight

This is my plan for tonight’s redundancy trial:

2 Likes

You are far more organized than me!

It looks like a good plan. :+1:

Remember though, if you are using the TURN OFF action within the Rule, with your start time (off) in the morning and end time at night (opposite = on) so both the action and opposite action are within the same calendar day (like discussed above), the Rule has to start in order for it to end.

That means that if you built and saved the rules today, they have never started yet. They will not be active to start until tomorrow morning. The rules won’t turn your plugs on tonight. You will have to wait until tomorrow morning to see if the rules fired (off) at the start time, and then tomorrow evening (on) at the end time.

1 Like

@slabslayer
Thanks for the reminder on delayed action on a couple of my rules.
I’m really only organized because I need to better understand what I’m doing and document it for corrective action and review by experts like yourself. Thanks

1 Like

I put everything “except switches” on rules last night, and they all worked as scheduled.

I set switches on schedules rather than rules because they didn’t work as planned and I was re-testing even though the schedules look good. By schedule, the switches turned on but never turned off.

Today I am running everything on rules. Plugs and schedules. If everything works using rules, I will have to go back and try to understand why the switches aren’t working with schedules. They had been once upon a time. You can see how everything is set by the chart above.

1 Like

The switches work by a different firmware since they have different features. And I do not have any Wyze switches in use as I cannot run any Smart Switches that require a Neutral wire (This Old House). :disappointed:

If the switch schedules are giving you fits, we are going to have to tag in someone familiar with them.

1 Like

As of now the Switch schedules are turning devices ON but not OFF. Therefore I’ve put them back on Rules to see what happens tonight. If they work with Rules I may need to stay with them on Rules.

The only reason I wanted to put the switches on schedules is to use the Redundancy feature that you took me through with the plugs. Maybe that’s not possible with switches. I don’t know so that’s where it stands now.

Post one of the switch schedules and I can tag someone in to take a look.

@SlabSlayer
This is a schedule:

1 Like

I’ve asked some folks to take a look.

Have you tried breaking it apart into two schedules? Schedule 1 = on, Schedule 2 = off?

I have not tried breaking it apart into 2 schedules as you suggest I’ll try that later on when I get home unless I hear from you that there’s another thing to try.
Thanks again for your help which has been remarkable. TLHUTCH4

1 Like

This looks correct, any chance you turned the light on after 10pm?

In that event and the light was on the schedule would not retro back to the off time.

Definitely did not turn the light back on after 10.

Also, my switch schedules turn the switches on as scheduled but they never turn off.

Lights with plugs and schedules at working according to their schedules

@SlabSlayer
@R.Good

Just tried Slabslayers suggestion of setting 2 schedules. Screenshot below. Did not work.
I will try uninstalling my switches and reinstalling because I’m running out of ideas.

Reinstalling the switch and setting it up again with the schedule did not help

Another @Mavens volunteer setup a test schedule much like your first and it worked for them. The second set should have also worked. At this point I would drop back and punt :football:. Can’t think of a reason for it not to work. Perhaps others with switches will have some ideas.

I was traveling but before I did I made one that fired within 4 minutes and it worked.

Then thought it would be nice if schedules logged like rules, went looking for a wishlist item for that but had to bail.

1 Like

I’m disappointed to report that nothing I have done has enabled me to successfully schedule my switches. This is a mystery to me. I’ve put them on rules for tonight to see what happens.

2 Likes

The good news is that everything (smart plugs, smart switches, smart lights) turned ON and OFF according to their associated RULES.

Also good is that plugs follow their associated SCHEDULES.

The not so good news is that I have not been able to get the switches to follow the schedules despite efforts by @Slabslayer and @R.Good to assist me. I will keep trying but right now it looks bleak…Thanks, tlhutch4

Note: My main plan is to run using RULES daily with Schedules set slightly later as a redundancy (great suggestion by slabslayer) in event online connections are lost. At least my plugs are covered with backup Schedules set and working. Maybe someday switches will be covered as well.

1 Like

Thanks for your help guys. I’m going to start a new thread because the issue I’m having now is different than the title suggests for this thread. A new title may elicit responses from people who have specific knowledge of Switch schedule issues.
Many thanks for your input thus far…tlhutch4

1 Like

@SlabSlayer @R.Good

Love this concept that you mentioned earlier in the thread. It will be very helpful when I am away from home for a while and can’t get home to Unplug and Plug to reset. At this point I have established Rules that work very well with all my Plugs. Then I went in and established Schedules set to fire shortly after the Rules in the event that a plug goes Offline. Since I set this up I haven’t had a plug go Offline. That’s great except I don’t know if it will work as planned.

I can’t think of a way to force a single plug to go Offline yet still be plugged in so the Schedule will take over when the Rule fails to fire because the plug is Offline. Can you or another member of this Forum think of a way to accomplish this ?..Thanks, tlhutch4

1 Like