RTSP without Wyze app

I don’t like hearing what you just said, but I am darn sure glad to hear about it! I had no idea of the full ‘feature set’ of the Wyze RTSP firmware… :expressionless:

I have four Wyze cameras and eight of other brands like Amcrest. The Wyzecams constantly lose connection to my video software, Security Spy. None of the others do. They are pretty much worthless on RTSP. The network consists of three Ubiquity enterprise access points, a controller, USG, and Ubiquity gigabit PoE swtiches. No junk. Everything works great…except RTSP to Wyzecams. The front door can stream 4k perfectly on wifi, far from any access points, while the Wyzecam UNDER a ceiling mounted AP is disconnected from RTSP.

The Wyze app can call them up though.

I flashed the RTSP firmware. It looks like you need to have it linked to a Wyze account so they can push the RTSP user creds to the camera. I’m OK with that. I have my camera on my NVR AND in the Wyze app. It’s the best of both worlds.

1 Like

I have the same problem! My motion sensors quit working, now my door sensors are failing one by one. My band won’t connect to my phone and the scale rarely will. I’ve reset everything, repeatedly. No joy.

Both bridges and ALL connected units have stopped working for me. Wyze has stopped replying to my email request for support. Not only do Wyze products not work but any support also seems to have a short lifespan.
Oh I forgot “What do you expect its only $20” So tired of that lame excuse for this company

1 Like

Indeed, the focus is definitely not on fixing the problems of the products that have already been sold. It’s on creating more products to sell. Disappointing.

• List item

Well one of the first items wyze sold was the pan cam - STILL a piece of junk with the jerky motion - still zero fix. I threw the two I had in the trash where they belong.

1 Like

Worked just great for about two years for me!! I have 4 cameras that don’t move and 1 that is a pan. They all worked just fine for what I want! When some complained about a $24 camera that does not do all a $50-$100 camera does, it ruined it for the ones who wanted what we bought and still think it was a great deal! Give its back our simple camera for watching kitties and babies and built whatever others want! It seems to be a contest to see just how much one can get from a $24 camera! I am sure this company can build what ever is wanted, but please just give us back our $24 camera!!—John

2 Likes

As I sure you already know - wyze does NOT build ANY hardware - they take cheap Chinese units and do some firmware changes. And now it seems they can’t do that correctly!
I agree - Cheap cam - basic firmware - consistence notification - skip the bells & whistles (which has screwed up these cams)

2 Likes

That probably hurt. :wink:

1 Like

I just went through about two hours getting my router to accept 2.4 to match my cameras. I had them working for well over a year and then lost all 5 at once. Still can’t get them working! I am getting some new cameras!!!

Worked just great for about two years for me!! I have 4 cameras that don’t move and 1 that is a pan. They all worked just fine for what I want! When some complained about a $24 camera that does not do all a $50-$100 camera does, it ruined it for the ones who wanted what we bought and still think it was a great deal! Give its back our simple camera for watching kitties and babies and built whatever others want! It seems to be a contest to see just how much one can get from a $24 camera! I am sure this company can build what ever is wanted, but please just give us back our $24 camera!!—John

Adding RTSP firmware to a camera is the customers choice. No one is forced to do it and it didn’t change the cameras for people who didn’t install the firmware.
Your connection issues sound like a router setup problem. I would surrest a second router setup as a 2.4 Ghz Access Point (AP) just for your cameras.

2 Likes

The more I read here, and the more quirks I work through personally, the more I think this is a REALLY GOOD first step to having a stable Wyze system. Particularly if you’re running less expensive networking hardware or have anything less than a rock solid internet feed. :+1: :muscle: :+1:

1 Like

Too bad that is, essentially, what I already did before installing them. :frowning:

Second router carefully configured as an AP only, hard wired back to the ISP router and with IP addressing DHCPed from the main router.

I’m kind of looking forward to trying the RTSP firmware though. From my reading it sounds as if even plain vanilla RTSP will go a long way toward integrating with stuff like Home Assistant and TinyCam.

Thanks but for the cost of the cameras ($150) it is just not worth the trouble! I have spent over two weeks “experimenting “ with every fix anyone can think of! No one including WAZE has an answer—-just different things I can “try”! Simple-they don’t work and for less than $80 I can buy cameras that work! Tired of being a test idiot for a camera!

1 Like

There was an ‘upgrade’ added to my system and that is when all 5 cameras quit working! I didn’t ask for it but my system quit working completely! I am finished!!

Unfortunately there are several current threads about exactly that symptom. Seems they finally pushed the little things over the edge. Hold on to your old versions, people.

What syatem? Your WYZE cameras?

I have no use for my entire WYZE products. I am taking them down. I have easily replaced them . . . without all the problems!