REFLECTION OF CAMERA IN WINDOW

I have read about peoples complaints of their camera facing through a window creating a glare on the window even during daylight which I had the same issue. Here is what you can do. The glare is caused because the camera is a shiny white color. I painted my cameras with a flat black poster paint and no more glare. You mainly just need to paint the front side that faces the window. The camera is now not as attractive looking but more practical to use. It also makes it less noticeable from the outside. Just be careful not to get paint in the microphone opening or on the light sensor, etc. You could probably use a black marker to cover up the white surface just as well but I already had paint so I used that. Have a nice day

1 Like

Great workaround mine is on a white window and window shutter it is not ez to spot but painting it will make it stand out sadly. Heard of UV filters but not sure if someone has experience installing it. Thx again

UV won’t help glare. I use matte black paper under it on shelf and behind it and over the top to basically shield glare and reflections. For the cam I just cut out some of the same paper with holes for lens and sensors and double sided taped it onto cam. This way if we want to relocate it, it’s not permanently colored. For a filter, a polarizer should work. I thought I had one but haven’t found it yet.

1 Like

Thx for the suggestion

I’ve got a camera shooting through the window with it pressed up against the glass. I have IR “off” and use a $10 IR illumination that’s outside. Outstanding picture at night. YMMV

2 Likes

Good idea. I might be able to get power from the overhead light fixture for an IR fixture. I use the black paper to help cut the glare and reflections because I can’t press it up to the glass - I have to angle it a little down and to the right. Plus it’s a double pane so the white reflects off the outer pane. The matte black is a big help.

Putting a polarizing filter on the lense and rotating it until the reflection is eliminated will probably work. Putting the lens flat against the glass should work too.

1 Like

:hammer: or in the alternative, :brick:.

This other older topic (Window reflection/sun) explores this a bit. I just added a post suggesting putting a polarized sunglass lens in front of your cam. My first test is promising.

UPDATE: I put polarizing sunglass lens over my Wyze cam, and also blacked out the front panel of the camera only using a Sharpie. The blackout did remove cam from reflection. The polarizing lens did improve but not remove reflections of the white window shade. Much improved as it gives better view for a few more hours until sun is directly on the cam. I think other suggestions to ‘dress’ the window by placing a dark cloth behind the camera, between window and interior light colored shade is the only way to beat window reflections. Not a great solution given I also like to look out that window myself so I likely will live with a few hours of lost cam visibility.

My dad used to make polarizing filters for microscopes. He used sheets the size of letter paper to cut them out. Not sure where he got it, was many years ago. I’ve been hoping to come across some in box of his stuff my sister saved for me. But I moved a while back and haven’t had to time search. Anyway, I suspect it could work well.

I had the same issue and what I did was took a black marker and colored all of the outer case of the camera all the white part and that almost completely stopped the reflection worked well for me