Reconnect to different router

Is there an easy way to reconnect the Wyze Cam v2 to a different router. I set it up connecting to a repeater, now I want to connect to the base router. I don’t see a way where I could input the router address or change the network ID without going through a complete new setup.

You have to use the same SSID and password. If you cannot, you have to set it back up.

It’s not necessary to use a different name for the SSID on the WiFi repeater. If you use the same name (and same security mode (WPA, etc) and same password) for the repeater, the Wyze cam will happily connect to either AP. However, if your repeater broadcasts a different SSID, you’ll have to reconfigure the camera from scratch, connecting it to the ‘other’ network.

1 Like

Thanks, for the tips. I’m going to make sure that base and repeater have the same settings.
So I’m going through a new setup, but it says cannot connect. Initially I set it up with no password as I have an open network, but maybe with the latest firmware update this can’t be left blank?

Open networks are very dangerous. I would put a password on it and close the case :slight_smile:.

It’s never a good idea to have an open network.

2 Likes

While your repeater can have the same SSID/password/security_mode, it should NOT be on the same WiFi channel as your primary AP. Assigning channels on a multi-AP wireless network is somewhat of a black art. Ideally, you want to choose channels that are not in use by your neighbors. A lot of consumer routers come set (out of the box) on Ch1. If that’s the case, you could choose Ch6 for your primary base station, and Ch11 for the repeater.

Best practice is to use a WiFi scanner app to assess the radio environment in your area, and then choose channels which are least congested. But in any event, it’s not ideal to put your repeater on the same channels as your primary router.

+1 to the advice not to set up an open network. That’s just asking for intruders…

1 Like

Some routers do not allow you to pick the channels and instead they automatically assign them. If your in a less populated area, I really wouldn’t worry about the channel. However, it is safe to say don’t have your repeater on the same channel or you will have high jitter.

1 Like

Here in the Yukon backwoods, WiFi security never really was a concern of mine. And when I was traveling I actually was glad when I found an open network I could get online for a while.
And yes channels are separate. I had turned the cam off for remounting, but then it did not want to turn on again for quite a while.

Thanks for your help, all!

Two more tips:

1. If you have to setup the camera again to change the SSID, do not delete it from the app first. When you set it up anew, it will come back into the app with settings retained if you have not deleted it.

2. If you have to set it up again, you will not be able to use open wifi any longer with the current app version. More info:

For security reasons, Wyze made the decision to no longer allow setup on open wifi networks. Unless Wyze changes their minds on this, there are a couple of workarounds that can be used if you want to keep your base home network unsecured but also provide a secure network for the Wyze Cam. One is free and the other has a small hardware cost. I realize these may not be suitable in all cases.

1. Most wifi routers have the ability to have a separate guest network, often without a password required. You could set the guest network up with your existing SSID (so you don’t have to change any other devices) and set up the primary network with WPA2 encryption to be used with the Wyze Cam.

2. You could use a travel router as an intermediary device that will connect to your unsecured home network and bridge that over to a secure network accessible by the Wyze Cams. Complete instructions for that are here:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360015185552-How-To-Connect-Wyze-Cams-To-WiFi-Networks-With-Portal-Pages-or-Unsecured-Networks

Finally, there is a #roadmap topic about this asking Wyze to reconsider (link below). You can hop over there and vote for it. Be sure to click the VOTE button at the top.

https://forums.wyze.com/t/allow-unsecure-wifi-networks/13968

2 Likes

Very good to know. Thank you!

1 Like

How do I get to another area for wifi change since I got a new server

Are you asking how to change the wifi SSID and password that the camera connect to?

To change the wifi credentials, you must push the setup button to start the setup process and add it as a new device. But DO NOT delete it from the app first. When you add it as a new device, it will see by the MAC address that it was already on your account and retain the settings you had previously set up.

2 Likes

This is true about the channels– and I third that “open network” is a bad idea. Use WPA2 if at all possible (and it should be).

Also, regarding networks with multiple access points, you may look for some certain features in the router/AP’s settings, such as “fast roaming” which will allow a much quicker handoff between access points as signal strength changes and the device hops. Without it, the device will have to re-authenticate each time it changes AP’s and this can cause lost packets, a blip in connectivity, or even momentary disconnect as it as it connects to the new one.

This wouldn’t much matter for a camera that never moves, but is good for other devices such as cell phones or tablets that are constantly moving around a coverage area.

P.S. I did not realize this was an old post until after I posted this. I didn’t catch your reasoning for explicitly wanting open security? Maybe I missed it. Curious what the appeal of that is. In the absence of a valid reason to NOT use encrypted communication, I would always default to having it.

To me that’s like saying I feel that I’m in a safe parking lot, I’m comfortable with leaving my car unlocked. Maybe true, but I would rather err on the side of caution. But that’s my opinion only.

Here’s a scenario where there’s a very good reason to use an open network.

Your aging mother lives in a assisted-living/nursing facility and is prone to falling. You would like to set up a Wyze camera so you can check on her several times a day, from work. The facility’s wifi for residents’ use is an open network and you have no control over it. You and you mother agree that for safety’s sake, it’s worth the risk of using an open network.