Range Extender for New Outdoor Cam

With the new WYZE outdoor cam on the way this year I have an interesting idea. Since the new outdoor cam uses a base-station to communicate with the camera there seems to be no way to extend the range between the outdoor cam and the base-station. This idea is for a device that just plugs into the wall and boosts the signal between the base-station and the camera. This would allow you to put a camera father away from you home and extend functionality. For me this would allow me to put a camera out on the other side of a shed where the typical signal for the camera/base station would not reach. This is an idea that I would love to see and hope it might help anyone who needs a camera farther away than whatever range is standard.

This is a great idea! Something for Wyze to think about in the future!

4 Likes

was about to ask the same question. I didn’t realize the base station was tethered to the router. My router is in the basemet and a decent distance from where I want to install. I have a range extender I use, it has a ethernet plug, can I use that instead of the router?

1 Like

Yes you can that should not be a problem

Would I just plug it in or do I have to reset the whole thing?

You should be able to just plug it in if you already have it set up

Just installed the new Wyze Cam Outdoor with rechargeable batteries. Hoped to put it about 150’ away, at the end of my driveway but I lose the signal pretty quick. About 80’ from the router through one wall seems to be about the limit. It would be kind of cool to have an external antenna on the base unit.

Other than that, works well, easy install, just would like more range.

1 Like

Your lucky to get 80’ I can’t get 40. I’ve tried everything, moving the bridge, going through setup several times, nothing helps. I’m not happy with mine at all. My indoor camera have much better range. Bill A

having the same issue. I have the base unit on the exterior wall and it’s a straight shot to carport I’m trying to put the camera in. Get about 80 away and loose connection. Am I wrong or did I read it’s supposed to have a 300’ range

I use a TP-Link N300 to push my wifi to my dock. I discovered by kayaking out that it gets 20mbs about 2 football fields away. Why do we have to use a base? Can’t it just talk on our wifi? Now I’m limited to 50’ according to the help vids. Or is this a power issue? If that’s the case, include solar charge for the camera (I’ll happily pay extra!). :wink:

3 Likes

A solar powered outdoor cam repeater so that outdoor cams could be placed further away from the base.

4 Likes

I love these outdoor cams but the really short range (45’) is preventing me from purchasing more of them. Hoping their products Dev folks are working on a fix for this.

2 Likes

I have an outdoor cam 150 feet from the base and through one outside wall. Shows 2 of 3 bars and works reliably.

1 Like

And mine works 30 at best. All depends on how strong your neighbors signals are on the same Wi-Fi channel :weary:

Hi, I think we really need this ASAP. I have trouble getting a signal since I have thick plaster walls. Please create a extension antenna for the outdoor wyze camera system

This would be a great feature. I got mine for the sole purpose of monitoring a basement parking spot. The range is terrible even when the base station is mounted just above the parking on the first floor by a window. I’m looking into ways of changing the outdoor cam antenna or boosting the base station because it’s not working

I want to install an outdoor wireless camera at my dock also, but the range limit of this camera is really annoying! Wyze creaters: please create a solution for this!

One suggestion was to add an additional base station. Would this work connected via wifi to the router? If so, can one buy an additional base station separately?

Ability to daisy chain wireless outdoor camera to each other to increase distance from base

I would like the ability to daisy chain multiple outdoor wireless cameras to increase the range from the base station for larger areas.

I don’t believe one can daisy chain cameras together. Multiple base stations can be connected to a router, each with the capacity, I believe, to handle four cameras.

I found the base stations of limited range and was not able to reliably connect four cameras over a length of approx 120 feet with the base station at roughly the center point.

My somewhat expensive solution was a new mesh network with three modules / nodes to cover most of the property length coupled with an additional base station connected to the farthest mesh node. Three of the cameras were connected to one base station near the center of my property and one camera was connected to the base station connected to the farther mesh node.

Although this improved the camera reliability, it did not solve my main issue, that being, slow activation / detection.

I ultimately ended up replacing these cameras with ones that have a more rapid response.