Question about Wzye Cam Outdoor Model connectivity

Hello all!

Hoping a beta tester or Wyze Employee can chime in here. A colleague and I were discussing this awesome product and a question came up that we couldn’t answer based on looking at the spec sheet.:

Are the cameras themselves connected to the WiFi network, or do their pair to the base station using a non 2.4/5ghz protocol? I am HOPING that each camera connects to the base station using a separate connectivity as to not clutter the wifi network with a bunch of devices. That said, either way I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with the product :smiley:

Thank you!

No, the outdoor cams connect to the hub not your Wi-Fi network. Unlike other Wyze cameras, your Wyze Cam Outdoor must be connected to a Base Station to work. They are 2.4 ghz only.

The base station is connected to your router via Ethernet cable, or If your Wi-Fi extender has an Ethernet port, then you can use that to connect to the Base Station as well.

1 Like

Thanks for the information. Just to clarity, The cameras connect to the base station via 2.4ghz? That’s a bit unfortunate from a wavelength congestion standpoint. That said, still super excited.

The cameras connect to the base station via 2.4ghz?

Yes, that is what I understood from the Wyze AMA video yesterday.

Wyze explained why they chose the 2.4 GHz in the AMA video yesterday. One reason was the cost. They wanted to make sure the cam would be affordable as possible for everyone.

Range and Coverage

The 2.4 GHz band provides coverage at a longer range but transmits data at slower speeds. The range is lower in the 5 GHz band because higher frequencies cannot penetrate solid objects, such as walls and floors.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it is 2.4ghz that the WCO is using to connect to the base station, someone posted a fcc link that showed the wifi bands…in fact, when u put the WCO in travel mode, you are connecting directly to the WCO via 2.4ghz

1 Like

Ah. Thanks. I must have missed the AMA. I’ll check it out.

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

You’re welcome!

1 Like