Power Outage with Home Monitoring Service

I just installed the Home Monitoring Service for my Mom. She lost power today when she wasn’t home and panicked that if she entered her house, the system would re-arm when the power came back on and dispatch the police.

I called Wyze and they told me when you lose power, the system will return to its current state when the power returns.

Can Wyze update the system so that if power is lost, when it returns, it arms in “Home” rather than “AWay”. This way, if the person enters their home when the power is out, and it returns, the motion detectors won’t trigger the alarm.

Returning the system to the last state is the best option. Since the use of motion sensors in the Home or Away state is a user defined variable, it wouldn’t meet all users needs to default it to a state that was not active when the power failed.

The Sense Hub does have a battery backup for short power outages. I’m not sure how long that is rated for, but the system can be operated locally when there is an outage. The keypad and sensors will still work so long as the hub is still on battery backup.

It won’t register an alarm with Noonlight, but it can still be disarmed and armed via the keypad.

One solution for redundant systems I have employed is installing a dedicated Uninterrupted Power Supply (UPS) aka a Battery Backup.

I have my modem (fiber), WiFi Router, and Hub plugged into the UPS. When I experience a power outage, I have several hours of protection and working WiFi until that battery fails and the Hub battery kicks in.

It can be armed and disarmed but it will NOT activate the alarm while on battery. It will see the keypad. Give chimes for sensore opening. But the audible alarm feature will not work until main power is restored. I found this out when my power went out. I opend my front door and the Hub chimed. They keypad was still showing HOME, but no alarm activated.

I just unplugged my Hub and it told me it was on battery backup. I placed the HMS in Test Mode to disconnect from Noonlight, and armed the system to away. The exit countdown concluded and the hub announced Armed Away. I tripped the alarm via a motion sensor and the entry count down started while the hub chimed the countdown. I received a push notification of the Entry Delay. After the entry delay expired, the Hub siren activated and I received a notification of an Active Alarm. When I disarmed it, the hub siren stopped and it announced Alarm Cancelled. All while operating on battery backup. The hub will activate an alarm on battery backup provided that the sensor that tripped the alarm is listed as an On Duty sensor within the Home & Away settings.

If the keypad was showing Home and the door chimed but did not set off the alarm when opened, the door sensor was checked within the Tone list, but was most likely not listed in the On Duty sensor list under the Home button of the Home & Away menu. The Home state on duty sensors and the Away state on duty sensors are two independant lists.

1 Like

The user didn’t state it specifically but I’m guessing they had no internet connection due to their power being out. That is based on this statement, and like I said they didn’t say it specifically that they had no internet or Wi-Fi but I’m guessing that’s the case with them as well.

@jimjrfl , Did you not have internet or Wi-Fi as well? Can you confirm?

I was only addressing the Hub Siren…

Granted, my internet was active during my test which is why I received the notifications. But my internet remains active during a power outage, as does my hub, because they operate plugged into a dedicated UPS. However, I don’t believe the Hub’s audible alarm is affected by the internet status as it is designed to operate as a local alarm when the internet is down and running on battery backup.

1 Like

From my significant power outage (about 20 hours) last week, I noticed the HMS seems to be able to hold for more than 12 hours but not 20 hours.

1 Like