PanCam v3 not keeping way point settings

I have recently noticed an issue with one PanCam v3, it will not keep the way points I set. It keeps getting off track to a different area. At first I thought it was the wind turning the mount, but after a couple of days of less windy days, I’ve come to find that it’s not the wind. I’ve done everything except deleting and going back to factory settings. Just putting it out there to see if anyone else has had this issue? Everything is up to date and none of my other v3s have this issue.

Update: may 19.
So I changed the pan cam with the issue with a good working one. All I did was take old one down and replace with new one with no issue. I mounted in the very same place, used same power source and rotated image 180°.
Exact same set up as cam with problem.
GUESS WHAT? IT’S DOING IT NOW!
Im starting to think it’s a power issue or software. No way a perfectly good cam went to crap by putting in the same place.
Anyone got any input that makes sense?

What you’re describing seems like an issue that’s being tracked in the current fix-it-friday :

Waypoint issues have been noted in multiple topics. The most detail I’ve seen so far is here:

I’m commenting on this thread since it’s the newest I’ve seen so far. I’ve been searching forums all day for an answer and nothing suggested has worked. I know I’m fighting a losing battle with the limits of the pan scanning issue but my front door pan camera has worked flawlessly since I’ve unboxed it.

Here is what is helped resolve the pan scan issue for me: REMOVE THE RUBBER PAD ON THE CAMERA

I remembered that I installed my front porch camera upside down (while following directions) and couldn’t get the camera to secure due to the rubber pad. I removed it thinking it was a stupid design and realized I was the stupid one. I fixed the mount, camera position and set up my scans and it’s worked fine for a few months. I just removed the pad on my newest pan camera and restarted it. It immediately took the new pan settings and is not getting stuck on itself while moving the base. This more than likely isn’t ideal for everyone but I’d recommend to try it if you lost hope like I did.

Are you talking about the v3? The rubber circle on mine around where it attaches to the base doesn’t come anywhere near contacting or restricting the panning.

That’s interesting, I don’t see that being the actual problem, as when it all started for me, my cam had been mounted and working fine for a year or so, then out of no where I started having issues. Even with a new out of the box basically cam. It doesn’t effect my cams I have mounted in the upright position. Only when inverted. I really do beleive it’s a software problem, and I don’t understand why we haven’t seen a fix yet! Wyze is getting to be a money over quality type company lately.
But your idea is worth a try, I will look at and remove to check off the list of things to try.

There definitely are hardware/ software limitations and I agree with what you’re saying, at least with this camera so far.

I suggested this last night as when I took off the rubber pad, I found that the camera had already started trying to when it was mounted and that was causing mine to think it was rotating or being in a different position than it actually was. Best of luck!

They’ve stated in the official thread where they were testing firmware fixes for this (well of a year old and still no firmware fixes, so not holding my breath) that it is related to the motors in the camera not being able to accurately track their “home” position due to gear lash and slight fluctuations when the camera moves one way vs the other etc. More advanced motors have a sensor in them where it knows exactly where “home” is, Wyze relies on the test it runs when the camera reboots (when it rotates stop to stop) to calculate that position, which unfortunately only works for the initial positioning.

The current workaround is have your camera reboot from time to time using a rule. I only do it once a week as that startup puts some stress on the motors (hitting and staying at the stop for a second or two) and I don’t want to cause excessive wear.

If @Kamekkusu’s rubber pad has detached and is moving around, that’s a totally different issue, and yes that will definitely cause major fluctuations. If the cam is mounted properly and securely I don’t see how that could happen since the screw sandwiches the pad in place making it unlikely the glue would detach or even if it did, the pad shouldn’t be moving. But who knows. Mine are about a year old now and last time I detached one a few weeks ago the pad showed no signs of being loose.

Like I said, I believe it to be software related. Gear wear and lash problems would also effect the cam in the upright position, mine do not. As for a fix, yeah, the wyze guys are slackin, more worried about the $$$ then the quality.

I have Pan v3s both upright and upside down. Both are impacted and by about the same amount as far as I can tell. Maybe where your upright one is, you just don’t notice the difference?

Nope, the original one that started all this is now vertical and has worked flawlessly, I replaced it with a brand new one and inverted it, and right away started drifting. I have set reboot rules for the problem child, and it works for a few hours and starts drifting again.
Still a software problem in my opinion.

Your logic isn’t really working. It sounds like your new camera is defective. If you invert the original “flawless” one, does it start having worse drift? That would be the only way to say it is related to the mounting position of the camera. That would also imply something to do with gravity, not a software issue.

The issue with the minor drift on these cameras (it affects all v3s, some worse than others, and the impact is worse when you have motion tracking on and there is a lot of motion, basically the more it moves, the more it drifts) is well documented and is a hardware limitation. They were testing fixing it with firmware to try and calculate and overcome the tolerance variation between different lots of cameras, but seems they weren’t able to.

One of my V3s faces a busy street and tracks every car that goes by. It is upright. Rebooting it once a week is enough to keep it where I want it. Yes by the 6th day it is noticeably off, but still covering the area I want it to cover. Best I can tell, detection zone doesn’t work when you have motion tracking on, so the slight variation for me isn’t a problem, since I can’t exclude anything anyway.

My logic is fine bro, I ve tried this with all my v3s, it’s only with the cam picture inverted 180°, doesn’t matter if cam is actually mounted upside down or not, invert the image and boom, problems starts. It’s not hard to tell if the cam is drifting, four way points set and after the reboot, works fine for a few hours and starts drifting again on all four.
No tracking is set, my dogs sets off to many alerts as is. Anyway, wyze is slacking on a fix or an apology for selling a faulty product. Really wish they would address it more.

But is it the SAME camera that had no issues that now has issues? From your last post, it was two different cameras. How are you drawing a conclusion from that?

Pan/Scan is actually the feature that makes the problem happen the worst. It will drift very quickly using that.

I guess you have some sort of different firmware than me and everyone else. Upright or inverted (physically) and 0 or 180 degrees both have the same drift for me, and the issue has been widely reported from people with cameras in all different positions and settings.

As soon as someone says “bro”, I check out of the conversation, so I’m done here.

Good, get lost, you obviously can’t comprehend what you read anyway. I’ve explained in detail that it’s between all cams and so on. So it’s your comprehensive ability to figure it out BRO!

Just adding that I bought this camera when it was on sale during Prime Days and I’ve had the waypoint issue since mounting it, even after multiple firmware updates.

If you’re talking about it “drifting” off the waypoints some over time, that’s a known limitation with this camera model. Wyze was working on attempting to fix it with firmware but I think the fact that every camera has a bit different tolerance in the gears and motors made that impossible. I have mine reboot once a week (which re-calibrates them and puts the waypoints back where they’re supposed to be) which is sufficient for me, but you may want to do it more frequently if you’re looking for precision.

2 Likes