Outdoor/Weatherproof Wyze Cam

Since the camera isn’t out yet, I don’t think any of that information is public yet, although I think it’s probably safe to assume that one hub can control multiple cameras.

They’ve said the video quality will be similar to the V2, so I’d assume the focal length/angle will probably be similar, too, although they haven’t confirmed that.

Sorry I probably wasn’t clear. I wasn’t talking in the context of zooming in camera but rather zooming in using a photo editor on some detail in a still taken from the video.

I have to believe that the light on the numbers utilize significantly more power than the V2. Thereby reducing the time for the camera… As I previously stated, I ran a V2 for at least 1.25 days on just 2× 18650 Li batteries in a pack that states 12000mAh on its case.

Thanks DreadPirateRush,

I did not see this delay for the Wyze Outdoor. I guess I will have to stick with 3 apps for now. Wyze for my indoor needs, Reolink for Outdoor and Zmodo for the Doorbell. I may just need to wait for Wyze doorbell to replace my 720p zmodo in the future.

I like the Reolink picture quality better than my Wyze since it is 5MP as compared to 1080P. The video response is faster too due to it being hooked-up directly to the NVR. It could be due my WiFi which is an ATT Uverse 50Mbps using the provided router by ATT.

What I like about Wyze is the app itself and the update that they constantly push to the product to make it better. I also like that I can use Alexa to view my Wyze camera’s from my TV and Echo Show by just saying “Alexa, show me the Living Room”.

So, there is sure plus and minuses between the 2 product. It is easy to use Wyze indoor cause I have outlet everywhere but I like the idea of 24 hours recording for outdoor and being able to setup the alert interval shorter than 5 minutes.

1 Like

Does outdoor cam offer 360 view ?

While they haven’t officially released specs, I think you can pretty confidently assume it won’t. A 360-degree setup would require multiple cameras/lenses. But you could certainly buy 3 or 4 cameras to cover 360 degrees of space.

The wider the view, generally the lower quality the picture for 2 reasons - lens distortion and the lower pixel density (same number of pixels, wider area).

1 Like

I was trying to catch a critter getting in my trash cans out of view of my wyze cam so I used a simple cheap jump starter that I keep in my truck to power the camera placed the camera near the trash can sitting in a coffee can to keep it out of the weather and ran for days on continuous recording, it was still powered 4 or 5 days later, it’s a great way to record events that are out of reach of ac power…

4 Likes

The hot Florida sun has killed two of my Swann cameras and they were installed under the eaves out of direct rain and sun. The only option for a camera in the sunny south is external power as there isn’t a battery that can handle the extreme heat and humidity (even the new Energizer Ultimate Lithium). My Blink XT2 system has both options of external and battery power; I have the Blink plugged in currently as the batteries just don’t last, they advertise 2 years but I would be happy with 6 months. I think having the option to run on battery or USB power would be a great feature option for the new outdoor Wyze cam. The cameras also have to be made with quality stainless parts as the salt air rusts just about everything, especially the cheap little battery holder springs.

My Swann ir lights attract bugs constantly and trigger false events which render the cameras useless. PIR would be a good feature on the new Wyze outdoor camera; would it cut down on flying bug and spider web triggers?

Another issue I have with wireless cameras is the wifi signal; it’s 100 feet from the router to the front of the house. My Nooie, Wansview cams have failed at maintaining a good wifi signal, my Wyze cameras haven’t let me down yet.

I’m looking forward to seeing the new Wyze outdoor cam and how it compares to my other cameras.

I have one of those it’s 2000A / 20800mAh I figure if I ever have a need I could run a Camera on that for quite awhile

Interesting. Are the battery springs on your XT2s rusting? I’ve got some of those cameras, too. I’ve only had them since July, and I haven’t needed to change the batteries yet, but now I’m curious to look and see if they’re rusted. I’m not sure how that would happen unless water was intruding anyway.

I use this Silicone Paste on my brake caliper sliders it won’t damage rubber.
I put this all around the edges of the blink cameras back where the rubber seal is to ensure a better seal, it is also a dielectric grease so I put it on the battery contacts also to prevent corrosion.
I don’t know if this is necessary but I did it anyway , extra insurance

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005RNEH5O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 Likes

Not yet but I bet there will be a leak or corrosion of some kind by the end of next summer if I don’t get the dielectric grease on the springs. I use dielectric in my remote controls too, great stuff for the humid south!

Dielectric grease is a must have to maintain clean battery contacts especially outside in the elements. I’m finding that even the plug in prongs on electrical cords are starting to rust because they are being manufactured with a cheaper material. I use it on boat battery terminals too, no more caked up corrosion.

1 Like

I thought Wyze was planning to launch outdoor camera by the end of 2019. Is it still happening? Any ETA or status update?

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this info.

1 Like

Looking forward to the release, currently on the fence of buying one or two cameras but also kinda want to wait for the weather proof version!

What batteries leak?
No tell me it isn’t so!

Battery leaks are a big problem in hot humid climate. For example the AA battery back-up in my thermostat died the other day, I opened it up and the batteries had leaked and corroded all over the inside. I cleaned it up and wiped dielectric grease on the contacts. I use dielectric on all my remote controls and outdoor camera battery contacts too. Energizer makes a leak proof battery.

1 Like