New Wyze Thermostat Configuration/Wiring Issues

Well, tried the install yet again. Direct connected to the furnace via <2 feet of wire. Started a new install in the Wyze app instead of using the one that was already in progress. Thermostat powers up and shows the Wyze logo on the screen but the app never detects it now. Verified bluetooth and location services are fully enabled. Tried several times powering off and turning back on the furnace/thermostat with the same results.

Out of ideas - guessing it is a hardware issue and needs to be replaced. Anyone have any other suggestions before I go down that road?

I have heard of people who had phones that were not compatible. It uses bluetooth to connect, Have you made sure your bluetooth is turned on on your phone and that the wyze app has the permissions to use it?
This is usually an issue with samsung phones, So much that samsung actually has a support page to deal with troubleshooting bluetooth devices that refuse to pair.

Using an iphone 11.

another update…

After I entered my last message i had an epiphany that there might be a way to reset the thermostat back to factory settings and try the entire install again. Of course I had already hooked everything back to the old thermostat so I had to do it all again.

Once hooked back up and powered up, I held the button/dial down for about 10 seconds and it prompted me to confirm I wanted to reset to factory settings. I selected yes. It reset and then I started the install process all over again. This time the app found the thermostat via bluetooth and continued with the install process and connecting to wifi. However, I ended up with the same error about correcting the wiring error that I was getting every time before, so the end result is I still have the same problem - not working.

I guess I’m going to end up contacting support for a new unit unless someone has any further ideas.

Hey there,

I had a similar issue. I had to reset the thermostat several times(hold button down for more than 3 seconds) also had to delete the thermostat from the app,. I turned off Bluetooth and started over again. Sometimes the phone still has the thermostat still paired and won’t forget it even if it’s deleted in the App.

TL;DR - It works

So after I restored the old thermostat AGAIN and made my posts above, I pulled my phone out of my pocket to see a message about skipping the wiring test. I have never seen this message in the 15+ times I have tried to do this install. I clicked ‘skip’ and the rest of the installation worked with no issues and the thermostat passed the test and appears to be working correctly at this point.

I’m not sure A) why I never saw the ‘skip’ option before (app update?) and B) why it was failing the wiring test during the install process, but everything seems to be working at this point even though the app said there was a wiring issue.

Thanks to those who provided input during my little adventure. Glad to finally have a working Wyze thermostat.

3 Likes

I had the same issue but it was with the ground, I too did not realize there was a skip button but after reading this post I found it.
Thanks for documenting your issues it helped me out a bit aswell.

Having wiring issues with thermostat. Four wire and common added, thermostat did not show WYZE on it If I use c-wire adapter, it shows but in setup shows W is extra wire and should be removed. It will not let me connect to network, even though as my other WYZE products connect. Help

Pictures needed.
old thermostat, new thermostat, and multiple pictures of furnace/air handler (both wide and zoomed in to where you see thermostat wires or a control board. If no control board, try to get a picture of the transformer as well.

I have the same problem. All wiring is correct, communication is on 2.4GHz, and the router IP leases were renewed. The APP gets stuck at the personalization stage. I also disconnected the thermostat completely and the APP still gives the same results. Definitley an APP glitch.

If you have not tried it yet, try to start a new thermostat install from scratch. It seems once you get it working it removes the duplicate thermostats from the app and only the working one is there.

Tried that also, but thanks for the suggestrion.

OK. I had a few questions answered here. However I am still confused about the single red R wire coming from my HVAC unit. On the old thermostat the R wire was connected to Rc with a jumper to Rh (they are right next to each other). On the Wyze thermostat there is no way to jumper Rc and Rh. So where do I hook up the R wire? I am assuming that both Rc and Rh do not need a connection to the R wire with the Wyze thermostat???

Hook it up to Rc. The wyze will internally jumper it to Rh if there is not a wire in Rh.