New Wyze Item?-Gun Safe

Was trying to get a parts breakdown for the Wyze Cordless Vac and noticed a new item under the Home grouping: Wyze Gun Safe. I’d be interested in feedback from everyone, given the often buggy nature for Wyze items over the first couple months, how many people are going to be ordering one of these when they first go on sale?

[Mod Edit]: Tags modified to enhance search clarity.

It’s actually available to purchase now.

I have placed an order and will give a first impression here in the forums once I have it.

2 Likes

An interesting product for Wyze to make.

1 Like

I think that Wyze needs to send one of these to @LockPickingLwyr

2 Likes

W-WH-WHAT? No Alexa or Google Support? It will never fly.

1 Like

I saw this post earlier thought it was 17 days early…then I saw my email.

1 Like

Yeah, someone breaks into a house and says “Alexa, open the safe.” lol

3 Likes

I am fairly impressed with all the options they give for this product, including backup power for the smart options even if the batteries die, etc (you can plug it into any USB-C), and physical key access as a worst-case scenario. So there isn’t really any risk.

The only regret I have about it is that it is not fireproof. :cry: Which still makes it a great gun safe, and still good for other replaceable items that need to be kept secure or restricted, but not as ideal for storing irreplaceable items like fireproof safes are for. I can see why it is marketed specifically as a gun safe. Still a great option for lots of people.

1 Like

When I first read this I was wondering why you were expecting this to launch in a couple of weeks, then I realized that would make it April Fools’ day, so you were saying you thought it was a joke post up until Wyze officially announced it. :rofl: Nice one, it took me a minute to figure out what you were saying.

1 Like

My only problem is the size. We need a rifle version

Give the backlog of desirable wish-list items and general current product enhancements, pushing out this particular product seems…questionable…at best.

2 Likes

I believe products are partially decided based on what the ODM partners are currently working on. So even if Wyze is working on some of the other desirable wish-list items that are taking longer, it’s possible an ODM supplier has things already set up for affordable mass manufacturing of something else that can be ready RIGHT NOW with only a few firmware or other modifications, and so it can be ready and sold a lot faster than something that Wyze has to put a lot more personal R&D into based on demand. In that sense, it’s not that Wyze is blowing anyone off, it’s that some things take longer because Wyze wants to deal in single digit profit margins while keeping things as affordable as they can. Thus some things in high demand may take a lot longer and require a lot more modification, design and testing than something that had a partner developing a lot of stuff for them already. For example, when the Scale S came out, people were upset that it had baby/pet mode but the old scale didn’t, and Wyze publicly answered that those new features weren’t even added by Wyze for this new scale, but their ODM partner actually built that new functionality for them included with the rest of the product, so they didn’t even have to do anything to have it in there and could focus on the other things to tweak the scale to be what else they wanted it to be. This same thing will be the case in lots of these situations. Wyze leverages other suppliers until they can get the best affordable products they can. That’s why some things take longer. They could definitely offer ANY product they want, but if they rush it just because it’s in demand it might be expensive and possibly even not as good. On a recent live broadcast (I think around the end of the year), the Wyze founders said they can easily do 2K or 4K cameras like everyone was asking for, it’s not hard to do that they said, BUT they want to make sure they can offer it at really affordable price, not an expensive one. The same ideology applies to ALL their products.

2 Likes

It would be nice to add a cable option to be able to secure it in an automobile or any other instance where bolting it down is not an option. Just a suggestion.

Well the good thing about it is with Wyze’s track record of problems problems problems, when the safe fails to open due to “firmware”, you wont be able to shoot it open since the gun will be inside.

2 Likes

There is a purely mechanical solution using the physical key that is not dependent on any firmware but will function just like any other mechanical safe. The smart options are bonuses, but the safe isn’t dependent on them.

1 Like

From the way their Camera’s work, abut a year from now you will have to start paying for Gun Safe Light if you want to use it at night…!

1 Like