Network Attached Storage (NAS)

If you have synology, you should already be able to use Docker Wyze Bridge to get direct access to the RTSP stream to save right on to your Synology storage right now. Lots of other people do this with their Synology systems.

2 Likes

FWIW, been using it for scrypted and HomeKit. Docker Wyze bridge works well and web ui is a nice bonus. Another benefit is ability to rotate a stream so my sideways/vertical oriented V2 looks correct in Home or web and scrypted can add motion detection with much improved activity zone selection method.

3 Likes

Oh wow! I didnā€™t know it did 90 degree rotation! Thatā€™s great to hear! I might need to use this later this year.

I am planning to buy a Synology NAS sometime this year whenever one that suits my needs goes on sale, and I have been planning to add Home Assistant and Docker Wyze Bridge to it too.

Being able to do rotation like that will be great for hallways and stairways where I donā€™t need a lot of width.

Thatā€™s cool that it also allows for better customized detection zones too. I look forward to trying it out, and am glad to hear you say that it works well.

2 Likes

The dev is very active, frequently updating and adding improvements. I noticed that the wyze doorbell required an env variable for rotation otherwise the stream is sideways (this clearly demonstrates that wyze already does rotation, so itā€™s not a technical issue). Anyway, I asked about expanding the use of the variable for any cam. He implemented it next day! The GitHub issues page and discussion page cover a good deal of glitches and fixes. The scrypted dev uses discord. Not my favorite - heā€™s not as personable as the bridge guy, but at least he is active. Heā€™s building an NVR option. I donā€™t need much at this point, next house wonā€™t be in a gated community but will be a lot closer to a rural setting so will see after we relocate what we need for monitoring. But so far I like having everything all in one place in HomeKit, especially now that Iā€™m beta testing another brand of outdoor cam that has a homebridge plugin.

3 Likes

Does not work with all cam devices.

Thatā€™s interesting, but I use TrueNAS and donā€™t use docker.

Iā€™m hoping they open up a solution where I can just install an iso in a vm, select my smb share and bam! It starts recording I wish coding was easier

True, but it covers all mine and any I might consider adding :grin:

It doesnā€™t cover all of mine, either, and its handy for those of us who are technically inclined, but itā€™s not a good solution for most people.

Still, interesting app.

Thanks.

Being able to store footage on an old computer/ server

I personally think you should make it an option to be able to store your own footage on your own server or old computer. You can do this if you allow to link a ftp server or write software to download on the computer. Thank yā€™all for reading my post.

[Mod Note]: Your request was merged to this topic for consistency in grouping similar requests. Please remember to scroll up to the top and click the VOTE button to show your support. You may also wish to comment on and/or vote for FTP Option? and Direct access to SD card with download ability.

1 Like

True enough that 3rd party/open source arenā€™t for the casual user. They all require at least a moderate level of ā€œtechā€ ability, most are best to deploy on a separate machine since something like the Wyze bridge can consume a lot of cpu and bandwidth depending on how itā€™s used, and some are much more efficient on Linux which is not really as simple for servers as it is for simple desktop apps. Most are still lacking development teams so rely on an individual, hard to know for sure what the future holds. I doubt Iā€™d bother if I were still working, but retirement gives me time to fiddle with these things, and itā€™s given some usefulness to my old laptops. But considering the options theyā€™ve provided that have languished on these wishlists, it makes me believe Wyze will do nothing if they canā€™t monetize it by subscription. To be fair, I doubt other competitors in this low end price range think any differently.

Youā€™ll have to excuse my naivetĆ© on this topic. So, as I understand a NAS is basically a hard drive connected to my local network where the cameras reside. The cameras connect directly to the NAS without having to pull down from the Wyze server, am I correct so far? If so, the NAS now acts like my Wyze app would in collecting the video stream and storing any actions/triggers/etc. I set it to look for. Would this NAS be software to run on a dedicated PC or is this a hardware piece with an SSD for memory (or something along those lines)? Final question if Iā€™m doing good so far; if this is the hardware route, will there be HDMI out so we can see the Wyze cams real time on a screen. If not, can we add this to the wish list?

Please let me know if this should be a different wish. I am looking to view all my Wyze Cams (just redid my house with 10+ cams - V3 Pan/Tilt, flood cams, and will be doing wireless doorbell cams in the near future) at once on a TV screen with options for different tile layouts (big and small sizes, multiple cams per screen, etc.)? Pretty much like a wired security system would. I love the Wyze products and am slowly converting all things in my house to Wyze for continuity, but would love to see this as an option.

Agree. Iā€™m no expert, but seems easiest way is to allow mounting a network share rather than mounting the sd card as a local drive. Ftp requires an ftp client, but still pretty simple. Doubt wyze will allow anything they canā€™t monetize.

Lots of options in general terms but not from Wyze - NAS is simply ā€œnetwork attached storageā€. It can be created using software but doesnā€™t need to be a dedicated machine, most can provide other functions. My first was simply running Samba on a Linux server that I had setup originally to run the ftp, email and web servers at a small office. Since I had plenty of spare parts, I built a dedicated samba server at home which I also ran as a ftp server. Iā€™m pretty sure most are still running Samba on a Linux based OS. A NAS is not simply a security cam repository, itā€™s generally used for file storage, any type of files. I use mine to backup my primary desktop and as a personal ā€œcloudā€. Having capacity, it would be ideal if wyze allowed using our own NAS for storage. This would allow for viewing stored video from any PC.

A NAS does not by itself provide any real-time views unless it happens to also be a part of something designed as a security system. NVR is another option, ā€œnetwork video recorderā€, typically seen included in systems designed specifically for security monitoring, some have POE for cam connections, some also connect via wifi. Wyze is not compatible with these unless running RTSP firmware which wyze does not maintain. Most can have a monitor attached directly or can be viewed remotely via a browser.

It seems Blue Iris is the software frequently mentioned if you want to view all cams outside of the wyze app, but thatā€™s a different topic and itā€™s an added cost so really more for those who need some level of security more than just general monitoring. Fwiw, at present there are only some 3rd party options - some are commercial like blue iris, some are free opensource but require some tech abilities and are still evolving as the developers have the time to dedicate to their projects. To-date Wyze has not defeated access by these 3rd party options. Iā€™ve been testing out a couple with generally decent results but Iā€™ve had my struggles at times, definitely not yet ready for casual users to deploy.

Iā€™m no expert and there are others here with more NAS experience who will probably offer some advice.

I wanted to add another use case for a NAS being very beneficial.
From my experience with the app to download a video you have to stay on the app/download window while it processes for it to complete. With a NAS you would be able to request the file to download to the NAS as the destination and the app would then be removed from the process. It would be the SD Card downloading to NAS or the Wyze AWS cloud downloading to NAS.

An example is setting up a long timelapse recording and then needing to download it later would be simple to save to the NAS.

Another example is the 14 day cloud limit. We should be able to download select videos or all after the 14 day limit to our own NAS. If I need to go back more than 14 days in the case of a possible theft, porch pirate, vandalism, or what if a neighbor or police come to me looking for possible video to help someone else? Storing to my NAS is the solution!

1 Like

Please consider USB printer support as well.

Do you have, or are you developing a product that I can use to monitor and record the cameras locally? The option of cloud storage in marginal internet areas (remote, Rural) or changing the SD card by climbing a ladder are not really good options, especially in the winter.

Until Wyze develops a network storage feature, you can install a large micro SD card to give you weeks or months or video storage. No need to swap cards, the cam will recycle by writing over oldest footage when card is full. If you go this route, please install a high endurance card specifically designed for extended cam use.

4 Likes

Donā€™t hold your breath, itā€™s been on wishlist for years now. Wyze is all about internet services for cams via subscription plans now. Look at every new cam since V3, canā€™t even use cam lite. Off Internet, local only, appears to be well off the wyze radar.

Meanwhile, seapup suggesting a large capacity SD is best bet as long as cams can authenticate via internet - you will need to access it physically or via the app so will need internet/cell data on your mobile device for the app to function. 3rd party opensource options exist but are not for the technically timid. Most seem to still require authentication with wyze via the internet, although wyze mini hacks may have a totally local option. If you need a totally off internet solution out of the box, you will need to look elsewhere - maybe reolink or amcrest or similar, most likely a POE type cam system with local NVR. I have not checked into these for some time so not sure who is making what for sure now.

1 Like

It might happen. Supposedly thatā€™s what the USB port on the rebranded router is for.

But, like @ChemEngr said, donā€™t hold your breath.

I asked about this in the recent AMA and thought some of you would like an update:

3 Likes