Lock Bolt - doesn't auto-sense door position like Lock does for auto-lock?

Hi all,

Installed a Wyze lock + keypad, really liked it and decided the lock bolt would be a nice upgrade for our main entrance with it’s fingerprint capabilities. I did know it doesn’t have wifi, but didn’t realize I’d really miss that feature - oh well.

What I didn’t know, it the auto-lock feature is pretty much brain-dead. It’s on or off, and only “feature” is you can disable auto-lock for some number of hours of a day (every day) if desired in the app. If enabled, even it the door is standing wide open, the deadbolt will extend if the time to auto-lock comes. Huh? I find this quite unuseful, and can see the grandkids trying to close the door and damaging our molding and maybe even the bolt-lock.

Wyze Lock knows when the door is ajar - why doesn’t Lock Bolt have this capability? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

You are not missing something. It is a downside of the lock bolt. The Lock Bolt is amazing in many ways, and I use it on my front door, but there are a couple downsides:

• No sensor to tell when it is open, closed or ajar
  • Limited or no internet (thus, no notifications, etc yet)

Other than those 2 things, it is an awesome device.

5 Likes

One of the reasons it has the lesser price is the lesser amount of sensors. It was something that was mentioned during its development but it was also something that was requested by the masses. Maybe it’s something that needs to be revisited in its descriptors showing the difference between the two so that people are more understood as to what one has that the other doesn’t. If I get the chance to talk to someone in marketing I will bring this up and see if it’s not something that we might be able to bring to their attention as something that someone that might already have the lock would miss from the bolt.

The door position sensor omission is really craptastic. I would not have bought the lock bolt if it had been mentioned anywhere that it could not sense when the door is closed.

For the Wyze lock, one of the best features is simply to be able to pull the door closed and it immediately locks. The lock bolt, on the other hand, requires two hands to lock - one to keep the door pulled closed and another to push the lock button.

This is terribly, terribly annoying.

1 Like

@DHCR sorry it took me so long to respond, I didn’t see this reply, i apologize.

I see what you mean there. for years our maven team has attempted time and time again to put together graphs of comparable devices showing the main differences but for the most part making it understandable it a nightmare. being as they dont name what sensors are in each lock it would be difficult to decifer that type of difference. Sadly I think the closest you’ll find is that on the lock it says it automatically locks behind you because it knows when the door is closed whereas on the Bolt It says automatically locks if you forget but leaves out the crucial statement that is included on the lock about knowing when the door is closed. But I agree that would be easily overlooked if you already owned the lock and expected it on the bolt.

Sadly I don’t think there’s really a good way to write the sheer comparison of the 2N because if you start attempting to list the things that the bolt does not have inevitably you’ll find people that confuse that with how it’s read and think that it does have it. We’ve run into that for years with some of the cameras and their differences. Although I do want to thank you for bringing this type of thing up, there’s got to be a way to make certain things such as this known, with our level of community involvement there are times that employees have reached out to our team to try to better understand how to describe items they are working on or ask what type of confusion they might run into for the consumer base, this is definitely something that I will make known next time something is run past us so as to avoid it in the future. But keep in mind if you ever have any questions on any device you’re looking at buying reach out and tag any of the mavens or the entire team, we have quite a few excellent nerds on this team and if we don’t have the answer we can reach out to people that definitely will!