Light Switch Single Pole

A few questions about the wyze light switch. What exactly would happen if I installed a single pole switch for a light that has several switches in the house?Most of my house has two or three light switches per electrical box. I can’t seem to find any wyze switches except for a single switch. I take it this means most of my light switches can’t work with the wyze switch? Also, as I read the instructions, it says the switch is only compatible with single pole switches. Almost all of my light can be controlled by more than one light switch. Does this really mean the switch won’t work on any of these lights? Seems a little silly considering nowadays it is very common to have lights that are controlled by more than one switch. I also have these types of switches, is that going to be an issue as well?

1 Like

The number of switches in one box is no issue. The only items to be aware of is:

1. Is the light controlled by more than one switch. If it is, then that is a three way or 4 way switch. The Wyze Single Pole will not work with it.
  2. Is there a Neutral Wire (normally white)? If so you are good to go. If not, you cannot use the switch.

But individuals have installed these switches in a 4 gang box (4 switches).

1 Like

So out of curiosity, If it’s a 3 way, what wouldn’t work correctly?

2 Likes

this is why i came here. i had the same question. it says it can’t be used for a 3 or 4 way switch, but his response above says “if it has a white wire (neutral), then it’s good” so why can’t i use it if i have a neutral wire?

1 Like

Glad i came here before buying a switch. If it doesnt work on a 3way switch thats a feal breaker. Hopefully Wyze overcomes this issue in a future version.
Also, the face plate looks bulky, can i remove it so it fits into a standard face plate this fitting into a box with 3 other switches?

1 Like

Yes , the face plate is removable

1 Like

Thank you!
Do you know if you can connect these to another device like the garage door opener i.e. if I open the garage door will it trigger the smart switch to turn on the light? I would love to have this feature so when I pull into the garage a light inside my house turns on

1 Like

I’m not sure , I don’t have the GDC unfortunately.

Tagging @R.Good and or @carverofchoice maybe they have the device and can give you some info on that question

2 Likes

This is a single pole switch and not a threeway switch. Because of that, there is no way to hookup the Traveler wire.

So if you figure out how to hook it up correctly, the second switch would then be disconnected and will not function.

1 Like

So you can use a rule to “Turn on” a switch as an action. My GDC is not hooked up as I have rcently redone my Garage, but there may be a trigger for when it is open and then use the Switch Action to turn on the light switch. Then when Garage door is closed turn off light switch.

I actually have a contact sensor on it so I trigger things off of that.

3 Likes

Sort of… since the GDC can detect motion or a vehicle with Cam Plus you could use those triggers to turn on the switches. Would look similar to below.

There is not a specific trigger for garage door open.

2 Likes