Issues viewing more than one Wyze Cam at a time

I am curious if anyone else has run into this problem. I bought three wyze cameras for black friday (1 Black, 2 White v2) and set them up throughout my house. I cam across the “grouping” feature within the Wyze app and added those three cameras to it. However, when I go to view the feeds, all three connect but lag (often times in excess of 20 seconds). When doing only two feeds at a time, the issue is less noticeable but still there. Is this an issue with my router? Or is there something else I need to change to help make the playback smoother. When viewing one camera, even with HD, there is no lag or issues. Additionally, would installing the RTSP firmware and having the feeds “rebroadcasted” help to resolve it? Our internet is 500 up/down. On our specific 2.4 network it appears to be 70/70.

1 Like

I have three cameras in a group with zero lag and my Internet is at 50mbps. My wife even uses them to talk to me through. And we use them to talk to my dog or scold my dog if she’s on the bed or in the kitchen. I would look into your router or Internet provider to make sure that their speeds are accurate. I will have a friend that works for an Internet provider and it’s kind of shady but what they do when they know that you are running a speed test they bump the speeds up. So if you go to a site to test the speed they somehow know that and they bump your speed up to what it supposed to be so that you think you’re getting what you’re paying for and then when you’re not doing the speed test your speed goes down.

3 Likes

Hello, Thanks for the response.

While I do agree with your statement about the speed tests, I believe in this situation its not the case. Myself and other members of my household can stream 4k video, gaming, ect without any other lag. The issue seems to be more isolated to the cameras, and their video.

1 Like

I believe the issue is more related to the ability of your viewing device to process and display video data. My old tablets and phones have been stripped of extraneous apps yet still can’t display 4 feeds without an increasing lag. When the lag gets close to 60 seconds, the Wyze app terminates. The same old tablets have no issues displaying 1 feed and have a 1-5 second lag. 2 feeds doubles or triples that lag but the Wyze app still functions without terminating. My new tablets and phones have no issues whatsoever with lag viewing a 4-cam group.

4 Likes

Having many old devices here, I’m going with the lag being a slow/overloaded device. But what will help is TInycam (free or pro version). I’ve found while trying to adjust cams, tinycam always has much less lag in all situations. Plus it’s available on firestick, so you can have them on the big screen.

3 Likes

Well to be honest you can have them on the big screen without tinycam if you have Alexa. But only one at a time. Unless you do like I do and plug your phone or tablet into your TV via HDMI port. I kind use a cheat method. Lol

2 Likes

Hello, Thank you for the response.

Tinycam causes the same problem. The issue still occurs reguardless of the device I use (Bluestacks with tinycam or tinycam on my S10) along with the default Wyze app on both devices.

1 Like

Then we’re only left with the wifi. The problem with IP cams I think, is that unlike most everything we connect ot the wifi with, the cams transmit more than they receive. And there’s no app that I know of that measures signal strength at the wifi from the IP cam. I’ve talked about in other threads how the cam showed 95% reception in the wyze app, while a dd-wrt wifi AP showed only 38% reception from the camera.

But backing up a little, has anything changed? I mean was it better yesterday/a week ago/etc.?

2 Likes

Hello,

I figured it was something with the wifi, since the cameras work fine when viewed individually. I’ve never been able to view multiple feeds, even with trying tinycam over the past month.

If it is our wifi, does using RTSP alleviate some of that burden on the cameras to upload their video feed? Since it would potentially be coming from another source.

1 Like

I just did the RTSP for the first time on a cam not more than an hour ago myself. But I don’t think so, because it’s all the same from the cam’s point of view. But if each single cam isn’t lagging, then I think we’re down to either your device or your router/AP (Access Point). Maybe try resetting your router (power off I mean). And make sure you’re on the 5GHz with your device for greater bandwidth.

1 Like

Hi @Pdog1111, and welcome to the community. I see you tagged this is not being device specific, but it may be. I didn’t see which device you are using to view your cameras. Can you tell us what that is, and the version of OS is on it? Also, are you having this difficulty over cell data, or locally on your WiFi?

1 Like

Hello,

Both of those solutions did not work. I tried my device on:
Mobile Data
2.4ghz
5ghz
And received the same issue/outcome when looking at the cameras. My assumption now lies with the router, which is still confusing due to this being isolated with the cameras but I will continue to see if there is something else I can do.

1 Like

I’ve used a variety of devices:

Samsung S10 running android 10
A Bluestacks Android device running the same android version
An IPhone X running the latest IOS build

Each of these have resulted in the same issue, both with wifi/data

1 Like

Wow, no wonder you didn’t specify which device you were having the issue on. :smiley:

With that said, this does sound like it might be an issue with your network. Have you contacted support about this? They might want you test your network with a tool called, “RouteThis Helps”. They have used it with success with some Wyze users. My ISP has used this app to test network issues, and have been able to narrow my problems down rather well.

3 Likes