Is the new V3 Wyze Cam RTSP capable?

As far as I am aware it will remain on a separate branch

Well it’s a new design. Why didn’t they build RTSP right into the standard firmware? Why do they insist on making it difficult for those of us that use it?

7 Likes

I have the cam set up, it’s only missing RTSP for v3. Very eager to see the a firmware version going out compatible with v3!! Any release date @WyzeTao ?

2 Likes

I am eagerly awaiting rtsp firmware. I live in a rural community with somewhat unreliable internet. I rely on local control and storage for my home automation.

2 Likes

Add me to the list of cam3 owners that are eagerly awaiting the rtsp firmware. I gave purchased 5 cams but I haven’t installed any of them as I need the rtsp protocol to be able to use them with my home security and automation system.

1 Like

Me too. I dropped back to V2 in my last purchase since I need RTSP to work with motionEye.

I plan to buy 3 more for outdoors … but may change to another brand instead of endless waiting …

Any suggestion?

2 Likes

This is so disappointing! I can’t believe I’ve been waiting for the V3 cams to become available again only to find out the development team has purposefully left this feature out. I have two V3 Cams that will be sitting in their boxes until someone figures out how shortsighted this decision is. What a cruel thing to do to a loyal customer base.

3 Likes

The really disappointing fact is that they did not include RTSP as part of the regular firmware. . Instead they insist on making it a totally separate build. Given the larger internal memory of the V3 it should have been a single unified firmware.

3 Likes

Sorry we don’t have a confirmed date yet.

1 Like

Could it be included in the regular firmware?

3 Likes

As we stated from v2 time, we don’t have plan to make RTSP in regular firmware. This is because the extra complexity will impact stability and different features may conflict with each other. Flash storage is another concern since we are very tight on storage.

1 Like

The tone of this latest reply from Wyze almost sounds argumentative. We paying customers DO appreciate having our concerns heard. It is an increasingly rare thing. But this is starting to sound like Wyze is declaring, “we already told you, so stop asking.”

I have tried MANY different brands and platforms for home security and surveillance. Until this moment, I thought I had finally found a company with solutions that fit my needs without being overly proprietary. I was even considering the new Wyze home security system in the future, but now think I’ll keep looking.

We paying customers put a lot of faith in companies like Wyze when making these types of decisions. Please honor that relationship by partnering with even the smallest band of tinkerers amidst your customer base.

In my case, I’m simply looking for a method of live monitoring multiple feeds. I don’t mind kicking in extra subscription charges for cloud storage and added features. I just need to be able to use third-party apps to access the streams in real time. Right now, I’m using iSpy with a couple of V2 cams and can’t use my new V3 cams without finding some other local network solution.

Surely this is something that the Wyze development team can get behind.

3 Likes

Looks like the v3 is selling for over $50.00 each on ebay. Looks like it is time to dump these 5 cams that I bought and can’t use.

Maybe I will buy them again for $20.00 when rtsp is supported.

Maybe not.

They will be releasing RTSP for the v3 it just wil not be on the base FW it will be like the v2 and on an alternate branch

Thanks Jason. Do you have any idea of when that firmware release will be? Only thing I’m seeing from Wyze is “we don’t have a confirmed date yet”.

I’m saddened by all the entitlement seen on this page.

So let me get this straight, you are upset because you bought a product for something OTHER than what it was being sold for, aka “off label usage”.

You’re mad because a company that was built to make money won’t do something for you that will make them make less money?

Seriously you’re all a bunch of whiny kids on here complaining how they’ve wronged you.

Wyze will never make RTSP a main part of the firmware, their reasoning is total BS though, I don’t buy it for a second. The real reason is the MRR, monthly recurring revenue, from their service which doesn’t work if you enable RTSP. This is the conflicting part they’re referring to, it conflicts with their revenue stream. Why do you think they’re so cheap? Think home color printers.

If you want a camera that streams in RTSP then buy a camera that streams RTSP, don’t complain that the one that you bought, that never said it would, doesn’t. Grow up people.

2 Likes

What entitlement are you referring to? I did my reseach before I purchsed these 5 v3 cameras. Wyze has been saying from the initial release that they are working on a rtsp firmware. I wouldn’t have purchased them otherwise. I have no control of their business model or the price they charge for their hardware.

If they intended to require a subscription to make all of their revenue, then they should never have stated that the firmware was being developed.

My concern is that without the rtsp firmware, these cameras are useless to me. I don’t want to be dangling with hardware until wyze finally decides that they are not going to provide the firmware after all.

2 Likes

Saddened? Why you sound plain furious to me, Brandon. You have been on an internet support forum before haven’t you? Please reconsider posting your next hypocritical rant you’ve no doubt got queued up. Your last post clearly violates the forum’s guidelines.

Whining about “whiny kids” and corporate greed in the same post is pure gold. Well crafted.

I hope you feel better soon.

2 Likes

I agree that using the term “entitlement” is being a little hyperbolic. I purchased my v3 as a pre-order before they were officially on sale because at that time Wyze said they were working on the RTSP firmware, and I had hoped it would be done by the time they went on sale officially. While they never claimed it would be part of the mainline firmware, I had also hoped that it would since Wyze also talked up the fact that the v3 had more resources available than the v2, although having a separate RTSP firmware is well within their rights no matter what the real reason may be.

For now, my v3 is on, but mostly useless for my uses if I can’t access the stream directly on my local network (security and latency reasons). I don’t currently have a CAM PLUS subscription because it doesn’t provide the services that I require, but I would be willing to help support Wyze with a subscription if the firmware on the cameras also provided local access to the video stream (ONVIF, RTSP, simple web server feeding a raw stream, whatever)

I’m not sure what functionality the mainline firmware has over the RTSP firmware for the v2, but I’m able to get the access the video locally with the RTSP stream, and using the Wyze app when I’m not on the local network.

3 Likes

I’m actually neutral on the RTSP issue, but I agree, Wyze did promise RTSP on V3 and it’s reasonable to expect the feature.

What I have been asking for, is to get local access to the video stream, it doesn’t matter what form. I can convert it to any form that I need.

What this discussion fails to mention is that there are people who just want to access the video from their work PCs. Android emulation on a PC just to use one app, is a big waste of resources.

1 Like