How to increase the record time of events

Is there any way to increase the amount of recording time allotted for events?

2 Likes

If you are referring to the 12 second alert notifications, not at this time. If you have an SD card installed, you can record locally to the camera. Search the “Support” page link at the top right. There is also a #roadmap section with this topic you can VOTE for extended length alert notifications.

1 Like

The 12 second recording is called a notification and it is simply that. It’s not a record of the event. If you want a record of the event, you’ll need an SD card in the camera. I do wish Wyze was a little more upfront about this, because it’s pretty obvious too many people misunderstand it. Even web review people. 12 seconds is fine for telling me, ‘Hey, something is going on. Do you want to look further into it?’

6 Likes

Another Roadmap topic you may want to vote for is to link the Event Videos to the SD card playback:

Be sure to click the VOTE button at the top left for your vote to count.

8 Likes

I agree strongly. But if you can’t go longer what about recording 12 sec continuously untill there is no longer any movement?

5 Likes

Yeah really need longer clips

5 Likes

I need longer clips as well.

3 Likes

The standard answer to this is to install an SD card. Then use the time of your 12-second alert to find the incident in Playback mode, and capture or watch as much video as you desire.

The clips are 12 seconds every 5 minutes to keep the cloud free. Not having a monthly charge is very desirable to many $25 cam owners. :+1:

3 Likes

SD card is not a solution, because as explained by many users it’s simply can be stolen. Best practical solution is to make clips double longer, but to keep twice less clips on the cloud, in order to avoid monthly charges.

2 Likes

The “Longer Event Video Lengths” item in response 2 is “in development”, I don’t know what more this forum can do.

1 Like

Welcome to the community, @stepshu. Please see my comment in this thread.

1 Like

I really wish I would have seen this before I purchased all my cameras. The 12 sec video doesn’t provide much. Security is pretty much the only reason to have cameras. I’d pay a subscription to record longer but, if that isn’t in the works I think these are headed to ebay.

1 Like

Definitely need longer event notifications. I use camera to monitor inside the garage. When someone opens garage door 12 sec only record the door opening and not who entered. I may suggest to give user account free space in cloud (which you already doing by saving 12 sec clips) and let user manage the length of clips. I would agree if with that setup you will remove 14 days in cloud as your advertised because it is useless.

2 Likes

Cool product, not so cool 12 seconds recording with a 5 minutes cool off. Why can’t you upload to users’ dropbox or other cloud storage? I was about to recommend this to my friends, now I will be a detractor until you fix this.

2 Likes

There is a project underway for a paid subscription to remove the 12s/5m limitations: Paid Subscription For Cloud Storage

There is a #wishlist topic you can vote for about bring-your-own cloud storage: Cloud Storage on 3rd party Storage Providers

You can find other related topics here:

Search Wishlist (enter your search word/s after #wishlist in the search box)
Search Roadmap (enter your search word/s after #roadmap in the search box)

Please read through How to Use the Wishlist and How to Read the Roadmap.

2 Likes

I disagree with the "stolen or destroyed concern. I have a 32 GB card in my Wyze cam, If the camera is mounted out of reach (think 15 feet high under 2nd floor eaves) it won’t be stolen or destroyed. The 12 second recording would be OK if there were no "cooldown " time.

Which is precisely why all my outside mounted cameras are only accessible via a tall ladder. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I doubt there is any actual “cooldown” of the camera from 12 seconds of recording, so why is there any cooldown time? Just have the camera record consecutive 12 second clips! Is that too much to ask?

You are right there is no actual ‘cooldown’ of the camera. The 5-minute cool down is to save on server costs since this is something they offer free of charge.

2 Likes

I would recommend checking out Loki’s comment in this thread. It’s #15.

2 Likes