How to increase the record time of events

Replies aren’t numbered as far as I can see. Do you mean a posting on 1/15 (assume 2019)?

If so, this posting by Loki (WyzeGwendolyn) is about finding events in continuous recording, not cooling off time.

–Paul McBride

1 Like

I’ll look . Their web site is a confusing mess to me. Takes me a long time to find what I am looking for.

StopICU33
Forum Maven

October 18

alt pbmcbride:
Replies aren’t numbered as far as I can see.

Sorry I confused you, @pbmcbride. It took me a while to get use to this forum software, too. There’s a few ways to go directly to a numbered post in a topic.

• Change the number at the end of the URL in the address bar of your PC brower. In this case, change it to 15.
  • On a PC browser use the sliding date bar on the right to go to the number
  • On a mobile browser, there is a number to the bottom right of a topic. (EX: 19 / 23) If you press that, it should then present you with the same slider you can find in a PC browser.
3 Likes

Thanks. I’m 74 and can get lost in a broom closet!

—Paul McBride

4 Likes

Because of this problem, I just looked into Blink. They have a “cool down” period that is user set, from a minimum of 10 seconds to a maximum of 60 seconds. And their alert recording time is 60 seconds or when there is no more motion,
BUT, they don’t have a SDHC storage card feature in their cameras. Users can download the camera recordings, called “clips” from the cloud via email to themselves.
I see no reason for cloud storage when a 32 GB storage card is used in a camera. That’s sufficient to record several days of alerts. I review my card storage every couple days and delete it if it’s unremarkable

1 Like

What problem are you referring to? The cooldown period? You said that you’re using it with an SD card. You understand that the cooldown period doesn’t apply to SD recordings, right? It’s only for cloud recordings.

I own Blink cameras, too, and I’ll tell you that there are tradeoffs. For one thing, Blink cameras are battery-powered so there’s no continuous recording option at all. It also means that if you set it to record 60 seconds each time, instead of the default 5 seconds, your non-rechargeable batteries will last about a month, not two years. Their cloud recording is also limited to 2 hours total, and that’s shared between all your cameras.

The Blink cameras give me flexiblity in where to put them, since they’re battery powered, but the SD-card videos from the Blink cameras are usually much more useful, in my experience.

It’s also worth mentioning that Blink has more-or-less abandoned their product since Amazon bought them. They don’t really continue to add functionality improvements through the app and firmware, for one thing. They also had several products in the pipeline to create a product ecosystem, similar to Wyze, but literally every expansion product has been scrapped. The tech rumor mill says that Amazon was interested in their chipset technology moreso than the product itself, and based on what has happened since Amazon bought them, that seems to be true. Once Wyze releases their outdoor cameras, I plan to sell my Blink cameras.

1 Like

I’ll test that tomorrow. If that’s the case, I should get back-to-back 12 second recordings of continuous movement in front of the camera. I’ve never even tried to access my camera’s notification recordings in the cloud because I don’t know how to.

1 Like

You need to go to the “Playback” section in the app to see your SD card playback, not the “Events” section. You also need to make sure SD card recording is turned on.

3 Likes

I have an SD card installed but I still can’t adjust the recording time. And it still pauses for 5 minutes before recording again. Stop saying that’s a solution.

1 Like

It sounds like you may not be looking in the right place. See the message above yours. SD recordings are stored in the “Playback” section. The recordings that appear in the “Events” section will continue to be 12 seconds with a 5-minute cooldown.

3 Likes

Hello @Bagoomba and welcome to the community.

Using the SD card will get you full recordings with no 5- minute pause. The SD recordings and cloud recordings are located in different places.

Cloud recordings are located under the events tab and will be 12 seconds long with a 5- minute cool down. There only way to change this is to subscribe to CMC.

Ther SD recording are located in ‘view playback’ this is found st the lower part of the screen when viewing the live view. When the SD card is set to record motion only it takes a series of 1- minute videos, if a video contains motion it is kept, if not it is discarded, by doing this the SD card is able to record the full motion event.

3 Likes

I agree. 12 seconds is not enough time to capture info about the event. Continuous recording until motion stopped with a faster retrigger time is needed. Also, we need an option to store to a local network storage device and not have to use the AWS solution. Cloud solutions are good for the short previews and if someone else is monitoring for you, Maybe a solution to store the clips to a local network device and then use AWS if you want to pull them when not on WIFI. Right now I am testing the Wyze cameras and this is the area that I would not recommend this as a complete solution. I’m leaning It looks like I’m leaning towards a solution with a local controller like NightOwl, AvertX or Lorex until Wyze get’s a better solution. Paid services usually include dispatching Law enforcement and to have 8 cameras in the Wyze AWS solution, you are in the price range for companies like ADT where they provide the system for free or almost no cost installations. Adding up the prices for each item independent of each other, this system is getting very expensive to purchase for what it provides.

2 Likes

Go to some of the events in the event notification and then in playback, scroll back in time to see if you captured the full event past the 12 seconds. I have tried several times to look for specific events in the playback and they are not captured. I have not found a was to snap out time ranges from the playback to watch in a slower speed while saving off the video for sharing. I do have SD cards in both cameras I am testing. My blink cameras are 60 second recording with a 10 second cooldown and I have a much better chance of getting the security event. As I said before, these cameras are almost useless unless you subscribe to the cloud service it seems. I like Blinks solution where customers get fixed space without a subscription.

There is no recording on an SD card if it is a Sound event. You an view the event but it is still only 12 seconds even with a subscription. Why should that be like that? We are wanting to use these cameras for bird tracking via their calls, but there is no way. Birds can sit still in a tree for a long time while making their calls, so CMC doesn’t work for us either.

That is true I had not thought of that as I have not used them for sound

If i use sd cards why can i not control the event recording time that is saved on my cards, not so cloud somewhere? The space on my card is my space.

What are you asking? The 12 second clips are for the cloud only, unless you have subscribed to CMC. On your sd card, the camera saves all motion, if you have it set up for that (or continuous which record everything). Event recording to SD works like this, it saves in minute increments. If you have motion from 8:48:15 to 8:48:30, the cameras saves the 8:48:00 to 8:48:59 minute. If the motion rules to the next minute, it saves 8:48:00 to 8:49:59.

1 Like

I love my Wyze cameras. I use twelve Wyze cameras for all my indoor activities monitoring. I use nine Arlo camera for all my outdoor activities monitoring. For a total of four properties. In each Arlo base I have 200-400gb drives connected in a secure location that I can access even if the cameras are stolen. In addition, I subscribe to their cloud service for $10/month (basically $1/month/camera). In the Arlo cloud service, clips range from 10 seconds to a few minutes depending on the action. I realize Wyze has to keep costs down, but why not allow the user to control their own SD card storage? I would like to see clips up to at least 1 minute. For longer-term and off site storage, Wyze should consider using the APIs from Google Photos, DropBox, and Box. All of our Wyze cameras are connected to WiFi. I see no reason why the videos being stored could not also be copied to my larger storage options (I have unlimited storage on Box.com and 2 TB on Google Photos). Thanks for the consideration.

Didn’t think of that. mark the event time and go to the timeline playback and get it all. I did it this morning while looking a new position for the sensor and it’s pretty darn good.