Formating SD Card - avoid

After helping a friend setup their camera, I rushed home and ordered 2 for myself. After downloading the IOS app both cameras were humming along each with a SD card and recording locally. Seeing the friendly format button, I thought maybe the recording would preform better once formatted by the device instead of the native format by the manufacturer. After all, what could go wrong? Well, the card became unusable is what went wrong. Since it was no longer recognized by the device, I popped it into my Windows desktop. However, the card would not format, not even with a native program from SanDisk. Ok, over to the Mac it goes. Surely their tools will get the card running again. Nope. Luckily Best Buy exchanged it with no questions. Bottom line (for me), avoid the format option.

1 Like

Good info, I wonder if that is what happened to 8 out of the 10 SD cards that I put in my cameras. I don’t remember if I used the cameras’ Format or not, but pretty screwed up if it is Wyze’s problem.

I had the same thought two days ago and ended up having to repair the card with my Mac. My Mac allowed me to repair the card and then use Disk Utility to reformat it.

I’ve always formatted my SD cards within devices for best results but apparently this is not the case with Wyze.

I have formatted lots of uSD cards in my collection of 13 Wyze cameras. Never had a problem.

1 Like

A couple months ago, Wyze tech support told me that there was a known bug in the on-board formatting routine and advised me not to use it. They also said that the bug had been fixed in a subsequent release of camera firmware. Since then, out of caution, I have avoided using the Wyze format feature.

I wish I would have seen this posting before formatting 3 brand new MicroSD cards from Wyze and now I am left with 3 bricks. I have contacted support. They should probably remove the format option for now. I am on 4.10.2.31. I was really looking forward to the continuous recording. I have no other method to format either other than the cameras.

1 Like

We have 6 WyzeCams, 1 - 128GB SanDIsk µSD, 3 - 32GB 633x Lexar µSD, 2 - 32GB SanDisk 533x µSD cards. All formatted with the WyzeCam format option, all working perfectly. 1 card not present error, we re-seated the µSD card into the slot and formatted the card using the cameras built in format option. Has been working perfectly ever since.

Although, I have heard (read) that the Windows “repair” option can/has damage(d) the µSD cards too. So, if you used that feature on Windows, it may be the culprit.

Hope this helps,

Thanx,

73’

Tuna

Same here, I have done at least 20 formats using five cameras, and never once did I have an issue…

I just got a camera and tried using the format and now everytime I click the view feedback button I get a formating… pop up and it never shows the video. Brand new 32gb microsd card. Any ideas?

Hello @wilhite have you made sure that your microSD card follows these requirements?

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360012132292-What-size-and-kind-of-microSD-cards-does-Wyze-Cam-support-

1 Like

I am very sorry to hear this. For what it’s worth I have 4 V2’s and a 5th coming today. I have SD cards in all that were formatted successfully by the onboard routines. I did not attempt to format the cards until I had completed all available updates.

Do make sure that your card meets the spec requested. Not all SD cards are the same. And a slow card can cause issues like you experienced.

Cheers,

Robert

Completely agree, those cheaper, off brand cards seem to have higher failure rates. Kingston, SanDisk and Lexar are all we use, and we purchase the 533x 633x µSD cards exclusively now.

It seems to have payed off for us too.

Hope this helps,

Thanx,

73’

Tuna

I am 0/2, one SanDisk and one Samsung Endurance Pro… Pretty frustrating.

The absence of Wyze employees in threads like these is very telling.

There hasn’t been a reported issue in this thread for 7 months. Why do you think an employee should be in here?

Wyze employees don’t hang out in the user forums, save for Gwen. If you need to contact an employee about an issue with a card, use this link:

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

1 Like

Please keep in mind these forums are user forums. The moderators and mavens are all unpaid volunteers that are drawn from the users. Wyze employees depend on us to draw attention to truly needful threads and situations. But they don’t spend much time here. They will be found on the official sites like Support as @Bam and @Newshound pointed out.

1 Like

Had same problem on a new Cam Pan. Card worked fine new but I decided to format it in the camera a few days later. This made the card unreadable. Put it in my PC and reformatted there, reinstalled in the cam, rebooted and all is fine now. Firmware is latest 4.10.5.34. Bottom line, don’t format in cam.