Fix-It Friday 3/3/2023

Fix-It Friday Callout

Well my Forum friends, we made it to Friday!

You know what that means. it means it is time for this month’s Fix-It-Friday callout! :tada:

If this is your first Fix-It Friday, welcome! For background, while our communities are not designed to be a replacement for Wyze Support , our community members and community managers do our best to help you out here. As our communities scale up, we want to make sure that any outstanding bugs or issues that you folks are facing are on our internal radar and that we’re transparent in our process of working on them.

Here’s how this works:

• We’ll make a post on the first Friday of the month in every community (Core Community on Facebook, Forums, Reddit, and Discord).
  • Check the comments. If you see any other comments with issues that you’re facing, vote for them with a like (the heart button at the bottom of their reply)
  • Got something new? Reply to our post with the top issue that you’re facing this week with your Wyze products to help loop us in.
  • We’ll grab the top comment from each community and make a follow-up post on Monday to detail what those issues are and how we plan to fix them. If we need more info from the community to help figure out what’s going on, we’ll let you know on Monday - so please make sure to take a look!
  • The following Mondays in the month, we’ll be posting updates about our progress on Fix-It Friday submissions.
  • Sometimes Mondays are actually Tuesdays if we don’t get all the info we need on time for posting on Monday. Our apologies! :sweat_smile:
  • Remember, this is for existing things that aren’t working right. If you are looking for a new feature or for us to add functionality that’s not already available, please use our Wishlist instead!

We’re constantly working on improvements for everyone. But we hope that this process will both help us prioritize issues that are important to our communities and help you feel more in the loop.

Got a request for something new or an additional feature? Check our Wishlist to see if it’s in the works or has been requested. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you want to see how this works, you can check this previous Fix-It Friday post:

2 Likes

Alexa Person Detection Triggers on some V3’s with Cam Plus Lite have disappeared for new activations for some users but are still present for several people, or those who previously set them up

See the following thread:

Basically, Person detection triggers for Cam Plus Lite (and it’s predecessor) have been available for years, including with V3’s, and anyone who previously set them up is still able to use those routines, while others still have them with new activations (even in V3’s) while some don’t get them on V3’s now but do in other model cams (V2s, pan cams, etc), & are being told they need to update their cloud cam subscription to enable it. This indicates it is a bug because it was available to everyone for a while and then recently disappeared again for some people with V3s (but not everyone), indicating it is supposed to be there for all V3’s since person detection triggers on Alexa used to be supported for this service and still is for some people with V3s but not everyone.

5 Likes

OG cams detection zone image is static/frozen instead of a liveview like all the other cameras

The fact that it is different than the other cameras indicates it is an unintentional bug where the image is freezing. This makes it hard to set up a detection to ensure the right areas are blocked out. For example, see this post where the user needed to see the full range of motion their flag waved into in the wind, but could not check that because the image was frozen in place:

5 Likes

V3’s on FW 4.36.9.139 are losing spotlight connectivity.

Please fix the 30-second forward/Back playback on V3 Pro.

5 Likes

Event View in Wyze app does not work as intended in landscape mode in iOS.

2 Likes

Thanks Bobinpensacola! This has been aggravating! Please fix the V3Pro 30 second skip on SDcard playback!

1 Like

Please bring back the detection zone grids for Wyze Cam v2. It was reverted back to the drag-to- resize rectangle after the latest firmware 1851.

3 Likes

Bless you for remembering to ask this, @carverofchoice . My new V3s are on CamPlus Lite but don’t work with Alexa person announcements, as the skill is reporting I need to upgrade my plan.

2 Likes

This has probably been mentioned on previous Fix-It Fridays, but I wanted to make sure it is still on the Wyze firmware Team’s radar. The v3 skipping / jumping video playback.

3 Likes

Just noticed that another of my cameras, a V2, lists person detection capability in Alexa but cannot be viewed in Alexa, while my other V2s can in the same app. (“Live View Unavailable In Alexa App”.) This is similar to other reports in the thread carver linked. Alexa skill integration remains a big mess for many of us.

4 Likes

Yeah, it seems there are more Alexa inconsistencies here than I realized. Since I have been seeing these reports I wanted to at least make sure it gets on the official radar, and I remembered for sure that you and others confirmed definitely having issues getting V3’s to work with it, and it is more wide-spread than an isolated incident, so hopefully they can look into it. I am kind of concerned that they might not have a lot of options with the Alexa team struggling lately, but it can’t hurt to see if Wyze can try to reach out to their contacts to try resolve it. I know it took a while for them to resolve the Alexa plug issue that was last reported, but it did eventually get resolved (though I think it happened before all of Amazon’s layoffs), but maybe they can try to do the same with this as well.

It’s not affecting me personally since I use cam plus on almost every camera, but I try to look out for everyone, especially when something seems like an obvious bug and is affecting multiple people. :+1:

3 Likes

I only have a few beefs with Wyze. Been a user for a long time. Have a lot of cameras. Doing the cam+ subscription. Here’s what’s been on my mind. Please don’t tell me to search your labrynth of forum chats to find the same topic. I did. I found a lament from someone else a couple years ago and it still hasn’t been fixed. Seems more like an attic or junk box.

BTW, if you think these things have been fixed, think again.

• 5G compatibility on 2.4G cameras?
  • Camera don’t always connect when trying to view playback. It often tells me Connection Failed (error code 0) Sometimes it tells me it does’t have a Micro SD card inserted - but it does have one and it used it on many occasions previously
  • Every morning, or when the app malfunctions, I have to log out of the app, reboot the device, log back in and hope I have “fixed” the problem
  • When streaming a camera group, the iPad times out and go black. This was not a problem before the big “fix” a couple months ago
  • Because the group live-stream times out, I monitor key cameras on separate iPads. One of them, a newer iPad running the current iOS, will start the stream and then freeze. When I get it back it then becomes choppy, jumping 2-3 seconds at a time.
  • Wyze groups are still unstable. When I try to open a group, the cameras sit on “Loading Live Stream” and often does not recover. This is a problem when I need to see something urgent and the camera won’t load. Makes it nonfunctional
  • Wyze outdoor cam v1. Sudden battery drain, despite the indicator in the app. Basically when the camera becomes non-responsive, I have to charge it up
  • Too easy to turn off cameras / groups. Should have a two-step off process (off is different than off-line noted above) - this is the one I saw from a couple years ago
  • Outdoor cams have audio issues - I get an alarm / ringing sound
  • When a camera starts recording it clicks and can be heard both in the video and standing by the camera
  • On many cameras there are other creaks and groans, peripheral noise even though there is no motion to generate the specific noises
  • When scrolling through the videos it is jumping videos, sometimes turning it into an Easter egg trying to find a particular video I just saw
  • Please make the contrast darker when a video has been accessed
  • Consider an indicator that shows when a video has been successfully downloaded
  • Sometimes when I tap on a video to zoom in, it goes too far - both too large and then too small
  • Way too many “Failed to Upload” messages
  • Please make a mode where Cam+ has cooldown options. There is one on the Outdoor V1, but not on regular cameras that I could find. Having Cam+ on perpetually is driving me crazy to review the videos and end up just deleting them en masse
1 Like

Please add cam pan v3 and other new camera’s to cam plus lite so I can see 12sec video recordings under events and not just a photo image

1 Like

Fix the bug in the Mesh Routers (Pro and Non-Pro) that crashes the router when certain characters are used in the SSID or Password. Known examples provided by @carverofchoice include quotation marks and apostrophes. All punctuation marks (*,?;"') etc. should work for either SSID or the Password.

4 Likes

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Do the new cameras support RTSP? Or are they preventing me from upgrading my cameras?

@WyzeJasonJ I am the one having the spotlight issue on my V3 pro from last month’s fix it Friday, It is happening again after a month of it working great. Log# 960805. And I provided the time that it first turns on in the log.

I have the camera set so it should turn off after 15 seconds in spotlight settings. I don’t have anything set up in the rules tab

I @ Gwendolyn on discord but thought I should add it here as well.

3 Likes

Happy Friday, everyone! :grinning:

We have our new batch of Fix-It Friday issues! We also have some updates about submissions that were dormant so we’ll add those at the end of the document. Let’s begin with our new topics!

Forum - Alexa Person Detection Triggers on some Wyze Cam v3s with Cam Plus Lite have disappeared for new activations for some users. They are still present for some people or those who previously set them up :thinking:

We’re looking into this from our side! Stay tuned!

Reddit - Wyze Cam v3 Pro and Wyze Cam Pan v3 30-second forward and back Playback buttons skip random hours :pensive:

We have confirmed a fix for this issue and we’re working on adding it to the 2.41 app. We’ll keep you posted as we progress.

Core - Wyze Cam Pan v3 detection zones not working :face_with_thermometer:

It’s suspected that this is related to the motor drift issue that we’re working on. We have an improvement in beta now but we’re still collecting more data to find the optimal tolerance level for the devices. Once we have that sorted out, we’ll release the firmware to the public. We’re also working on new processes in manufacturing to prevent this problem from occurring for future cameras. We’ll keep you updated about the beta progress.

Discord - Special characters not allowed in Wyze Mesh Router Pro SSID or password :keyboard:

It is expected that SSID and passwords with special characters should work unless that special character is an apostrophe. The block on apostrophes is by design. However, we saw a report that the router behaved incorrectly when dealing with this case so we want to look into what happened there. If your router crashed or otherwise stopped responding when special characters were used, please make sure that you’re using firmware 1.0.0.73 or later. If you are on updated firmware, please then send in a log using these instructions:

Recreate the issue. Then in the Wyze app, go to Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Select your device from the dropdown menu. Then fill in the description box with the date, time, and time zone of the most recent time you noticed this issue and a description of what’s happening. Make sure the Send Logs option is selected and then submit your log. When you have the log number, please post it here as a reply to me so I can get it to the right folks.

- Let’s Take a Look at Some Previous Submissions -

Discord - Wyze Cam v3 Pro spotlight will not turn off after first motion detection at night. Resetting fixes it but becomes an issue again about a month later :crescent_moon:

No further update on this one this week. We’d like to have more logs from people that have set up Wyze Rules to turn on the spotlight for X minutes instead of just to turn them on, if you don’t mind! Here are the log instructions:

Recreate the issue. Then in the Wyze app, go to Account > Wyze Support > Submit a Log. Select your device from the dropdown menu. Then fill in the description box with the date, time, and time zone of the most recent time you noticed this issue and a description of what’s happening. Make sure the Send Logs option is selected and then submit your log. When you have the log number, please post it in the Fix-It Friday topic so we can get it to the right folks.

Reddit - Wyze Cam Pan v3 does not return to set home position :house:

The beta still looks promising but we’re still collecting more data to find the optimal tolerance level for the devices. Once we have that sorted out, we’ll release the firmware to the public. We’re also working on new processes in manufacturing to prevent this problem from occurring for future cameras. We’ll keep the updates coming!

Core - Playback stutters when selected for the first few seconds of Playback from the microSD card :nerd_face:

We have verified that this issue is fixed on future firmware. We’re about to have another round of testing for the build that is currently in beta testing. The version that goes through after that is released to the public will have the fix.

Core - Cameras appear offline in the app, though they are online and viewable :sob:

No further updates on this one yet. Here’s the info from before: We’ve gone through all the submitted logs! Some of them don’t have information because the log was created after the camera was power cycled or rebooted. But we did find that all the useful logs showed that the firmware keeps trying to reconnect IoT but cannot get the IP address and cannot connect to the internet.

If your internet connection was solid at the time, we think that there was probably a crash on the Wi-Fi driver not related to the firmware. We’re working on adding a health check function to recover devices in similar states. The cloud side is already in place and next we’ll work on firmware.

Reddit - Event recordings are skipping/stuttering :face_holding_back_tears:

We’re getting ready for the next beta firmware round! We’re aiming to release it to testers next week.

Forum - Wyze Cam v3 microSD card Playback is skipping the first minute of every hour (excluding midnight) :clock12:

We don’t have a new update for this yet because the fix is moved into the firmware build following the one currently in beta.

- Updates For Dormant Topics -

The Alexa Routines trigger "IF clear for ‘X’ time” wasn’t executing when using a Wyze Sense Hub and a Wyze Sense v2 Motion Sensor :thinking:

This isn’t something we’re able to replicate anymore. Is this still a problem for people? We’ll leave this open for a bit to see if anyone is still experiencing this problem. If we don’t hear back, we’ll close it. We have reason to believe that this has been addressed already.

Slow Alexa announcements of Person Detection from outdoor cameras :walking_man:

Is this still a problem for anyone? If so, how long does it take for an announcement to happen after the Event Video is triggered?

Greater control over marketing popups in the Wyze app :face_with_thermometer:

We’re working on a toggle for improving control over marketing messages in the Wyze app. We’re also working on auditing what we send and when as well as a duplicate data cleanup initiative that will help ensure that messages sent to folks are more relevant to them. We’ll provide more information as we move forward.

Wyze Cam Pan v2 siren not able to be selected as an action in Rules when it was previously available :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Is this still a problem for folks? We’re looking into it but could use some confirmation from all of you.

Moving object detection :red_car:

We are testing out a prototype. It’s possible that this will be released to cameras in the future but we can’t promise it yet. We need to see how it performs first.

Wyze Sense Hub Events not showing the correct time :mantelpiece_clock:

We are aiming to work on the Wyze Sense Hub time sync in the next firmware release but this isn’t final yet. We’re aligning on a solution and will provide updates when we have them.

Thank you for reading! We know this update was longer than usual. See you next week for Fix-It Friday!

5 Likes

Why? Every other router I have supports this.

3 Likes