Experience comfort in every room with Wyze Room Sensor - 5/3/22

Of course a sensor can’t balance the air flow that’s what dampers are for.

The sensor comes in really handy for people, like me, who have rooms on different floors that have a temperature disparity. It’s 5 degrees warmer upstairs than it is downstairs. Currently, I just have a thermostat on the lower level, so all temperature changes are based on where it’s cooler. But when I go to sleep, I would rather have my a/c kick on based on the temperature in the upstairs rather than the temperature downstairs.

However, it would be amazing for wyze to come up with smart dampers that would regulate airflow.

7 Likes

Smart dampers have been discussed here, but the main issue is that an HVAC system is designed to run with most or all of the dampers open. Closing too many of them can cause issues that will hurt the system’s performance more than it helps.

5 Likes

True, but there could be a programmed limit to mitigate that issue. Or some type of warning. I open and close various dampers all the time anyway. It would just be nice to have to not run all over the house to do it. :joy:

Instead of fully closing them, I tend to leave them slightly open. I’ve gotten really good at figuring out which ones to adjust and how far over the years. Lol

4 Likes

I suggest you install a multi-zone heat pump system with electronic controlled dampers to do that. Should only run you $6000 to $8000 for the system and about the same for installation. A solid investment.

5 Likes

I haven’t installed mine yet, but this feature should be on the Wishlist!

2 Likes

From the wording on the Wyze room sensor description I would say this is exactly what the sensor does. It overrides the main thermostat’s control to regulate the temperature based on the location and setting of the sensor.

My a/c and heat are original to my house (1984) and still going strong… But I 100% would look into something like that when it inevitably fails.

Unfortunately their wording is bad marketing. It does not eliminate temp differentials room to room and does not switch the real temp sensor to one of the sensors.

From Jason’s post above, the heat to\cool to setting can react to the Thermostat real temp only or to an average of the Thermostat and included sensors, but not to single remote room sensor only.

So, if it is 70 on the main floor T-stat, and 74 on the second floor sensor, the Thermostat will think it’s really 72 and react to your preset preferences using that number.

4 Likes

The bad marketing is clearly to maintain sync with
the bad product design.

I just got the email for the Wyxe Room Sensor. I do have a thermostat and was initially very interested. However, since my phone doesn’t have motor controlled vents, I cannot see how a thermostat in other rooms will cause the heating unit to heat up only specific rooms (versus heating the whole house).

Is it just me, or is there not enough literature about this in the post/add that explains how only specific parts of the house will be cooled/heated.

I was even thinking that Wyze was going to see the vents which would open / close (or state which had to be purchased; being compatible with the Wyze system).

2 Likes

I am not sure how standard the size of vents are, but when I first saw the Wyze Room Sensor (with the bullet of “ADJUST the temperature of different rooms”; I immediately thought that the sensor would be sold with a damper. How else would they ‘adjust’ the temp in that room.

3 Likes

Agreed. This cannot control room temps individually without the underlying mechanical infrastructure to do so. It can only change the true temp sensor reading to a different area of the house while it continues to heat or cool the whole house.

However, there is some conflicting information out there as to if the thermostat can react to an individual room sensor rather than the T-stat temp sensor or an average:

This post claims that it will.

I am going to wait until I get mine delivered and then post about the experience.

1 Like

Great reading here! Thanks @carverofchoice!

4 Likes

The only way this mystery will get cleared up is for someone to report their experience with it. So I for one would appreciate your sharing what you find.

1 Like

I actually got mine, and of course, it won’t connect via bluetooth.

(a) Is it close enough to the thermostat?
It’s literally touching the thermostat - I hope that counts.
(b) Did you short push the magic button?
Yes. Of course.
(c) Are the batteries good?
They’re brand new.

I’m thinking the problem is that it self identifies as a flower pot.

3 Likes

Might be the same requirements as the T-Stat. Have to have BT, WiFi and GPS on @ the phone to signal the mothership?

:frowning: Just checked. Mine won’t be here for a while. Stuck somewhere in FedEx Purgatory.

1 Like

So buy 25 remote sensors and keep them all in the same room. That way the physical thermostat sensor disappears in the average

1 Like

Jury still out for mine as well. Of the 3-pack: 1st connected immediately; 2nd took a couple of attempts; 3rd still not connecting after about a dozen attempts (including removing the batteries and restarting from the beginning).

1 Like

Found a solution… Removed batteries from the sensor. Then, removed the thermostat from the wall for about 30 secs (to ensure it reset). Re-installed thermostat. Then added the batteries and installed sensor anew. Thermostat and sensor appear to be connected.

1 Like

You, sir, are an Official Home Automation Genius!!

Thank you!! :100: :100: :100:

1 Like