Doorbell cam Wired correctly but no chime

Yup! Fortunately, yours looks similar to the one I have. (Here’s a PDF of its manual if you need one for future reference.)

1. Plug the red test lead into the VΩmA jack.
  2. Plug the black test lead into the COM jack.
  3. Turn the knob so that the dot is aligned with (on mine it’s a triangle for pointing to) ACV 200. You could start with the knob on 750, but that’s for high voltage, so you’d likely be stepping it down to 200 after the initial measurement anyway.
  4. Turn the multimeter ON.
  5. Touch each lead to a separate terminal/wire to measure the alternating current voltage across the terminals. (Something that can be helpful to have in your kit for this is a set of test leads with alligator clips. Then you can clip one end of a test lead to the wire or terminal you’re checking and the other end to your multimeter’s pointy wire probe, so it can free your hands from holding both probes against terminals.)

I just measured the voltage at my 16V/10VA transformer and read 18.4 V. I couldn’t remember exactly what I’d measured at the old “dumb” doorbell button’s wiring, so this gave me an opportunity to check again. :smiling_face:

I haven’t (yet) tried doing this, but I imagine you’ll need assistance for this, because I think your Video Doorbell v2 button will have to be pressed in order to complete the circuit and send power to the chime. (This would be another use case for my Wishlist request for a simulated Doorbell button press in the app.) Also take note of this Help Center article:

I believe step #3 is there because the Doorbell camera housing contains a large capacitor that needs time connected to power in order to fully charge for operation. (I watched a teardown video on YouTube recently that was enlightening.)

I’d also try the advice in step #6. I’ve read elsewhere on the Forum of someone being instructed by Wyze Support to do this (for a mechanical chime, set it to Digital in the app and then set the duration as advised in the article).

I hope this helps!

:pencil2: Edit: I added a photo to illustrate the multimeter setting and measurement at the transformer.

1 Like