Does Wyze Plug need my location?

The wemo plugs now need location turned on and I have a problem with that.
Does the wyze plug need me to turn on my location in my phone before using it?
Thanks,

1 Like

Not the plug specifically, but the Wyze app may ask for location when you set up devices - maybe it does this because to work with the new lock? - but I always turn location off without any issue.

2 Likes

I installed two wires plugs and I do not recall them needing my location. I donā€™t remember that at all. Thatā€™s something Iā€™m pretty sure I would remember the only thing I remember needing location is the door lock. And thatā€™s for the Geo fencing for auto unlock.

1 Like

I had to reinstall a plug last week that lost itā€™s marbles, and it did ask to turn on location. I just turned it off after.

2 Likes

Devices that allow automation to turn on or off during the day or during the night need to know the location so the sunrise and sunset times can be calculated.

1 Like

Yeah, um, except thereā€™s no ā€œsunrise/sunsetā€ available in the Wyze app, so thatā€™s not a valid reason.

2 Likes

I get that but, and I donā€™t want to turn this into a Wemo-bash thread, they donā€™t even let you access the app unless you have ā€˜locationā€™ turned on.

1 Like