Color Bulb Mandatory Firmware Update not working (resolved)

I just bought 3 Wyze color bulbs during amazon prime days, The initial setup was the easiest of any smart device I own, and I have a ton. No idea how long these sat on the the shelf, but they all required a firmware update, else they are shipping with old firmware, if the latter then shame on you Wyze. On the first bulb I spent 45 mins trying the update firmware. try after try I constantly got the “Oops Something went wrong” after waiting what seemed like forever for the update to apply. I went online looking for help and did not find much but I found this reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/wyzecam/comments/r90qbm/wyze_bulb_color_new_bulb_install_firmware_hell/ which unfortunately did not help. I then contacted Wyze support via their web based chat. Unfortunately their tech support is script based and the people running them either cannot, or will not deviate from the script and try actual tech support. The script they are handed by their in house technicians has a lot of mumbo jumbo about rebooting routers (which we called a punt in my tech support days), and when that doesn’t work they then blame your wi-fi being interfered with by too many neighboring wi-fi signals. They might as well have used the BOFH’s excuse calendar.

So there i was with one, possibly 3 dead to me color bulbs. I could not use them with the lower firmware as the app instantly puts up a “firmware update required” overlay on the controls. I was about to send them back but gave the interwebs one more try. I then read into the comments (something that rarely if ever should be done :wink: ) of the reddit thread and found this gem:

OMG got it to work for both bulbs! Turn off the light first within the app before updating firmware!

Exact steps:

1. Via app; Tap on the color bulb.
  2. Tap the off button which is just to the left of the “brightness” slider.
  3. Tap “Settings” > “Device Info” > “Firmware Version” and run the update.

Voila! Worked!

Figured this out by accident; that is, not from help from support. I suspect this works because the firmware update is trying to access some subsystem that is locked while the bulb is on.

So I gave it try, I was not able to click the power button in the control area of the bulb due to the firmware overlay, but conveniently there is an on/off button on the list of devices. Once the bulb was off, I then went into the control area and ran the firmware update as normal. The firmware update went through without a hitch. I hope this post not only entertained, but may also be informative for the next unsuspecting purchaser of the Wyze Color Bulb.

[Mod Note]: Post moved to this more current topic for better visibility and consistency in grouping similar posts related to production (vs beta) firmware.

6 Likes