Can't flash firmware to Cam Pan

I just received a cam pan this weekend and I set it up including the app updating to the cam to the latest firmware. My intent was to use RTSP for use with another software that I have outdoor cams setup with. I started trying to update the firmware using the manual method and have not been able to do so. I talked with support and did not end up getting a resolution.

I decided to try to roll the firmware back to a different version and have been unable to get the firmware version to change at all from the latest version release of 4.10.5.111. I’ve tried the factory reset and the firmware still stays at the latest.

Android app both normal and signed up for beta. 8GB Sandisk class 10 MicroSD card formatted to FAT using windows, using SD Card Formatter, using the built in cam.

Looking for any help here.

1 Like

Try these instructions:

Yeah, I went through these instructions multiple times prior to contacting support, multiple times while talking with support and multiple times since unfortunately.

I will add the button you have to push is a pain, I usually have to try it a few times. I also have never tried with an SD card smaller than 32GB, I have never got a larger one to work but I don’t see an issue why a smaller one wouldn’t.

Which version of the firmware were you trying to install? And are you sure it was for your camera? The Pan camera and the V2 and V1 cameras all use different firmware specific to them.

I actually started trying to use a 32 GB, and then moved to an 8GB as it was the only other one I had.

My Pan Cam updated via the app setup process to 4.10.5.111. The RTSP firmware I was trying to install was the one found in the zip file download - demo_Pan_rtsp_4.2.4.41, so it is the one for the Pan Cam.

When I tried to go backwards in firmware to prove I was flashing the firmware, I tried to do 4.10.5.98

Gotcha, it appears you were using the correct files. As @WyzeJasonJ mentioned above holding the button down correctly can be tricky. If you are sure you are and it’s not working I would try returning the camera perhaps yours is defective?

I have a Pan myself and it’s button is a little trickier than the V2 at least for my fat fingers. I end up (carefully) using a small flat head screw driver.

1 Like

I may have to just return it. Yes, I’m sure I’m holding it down properly - I can feel the tactile detent/click of the button. I was hoping to avoid having to return it.

Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

What type of USB cable were you using?

1 Like

The provided cable with the provided wall adapter.

1 Like

You need a USB type A male to USB type A male cord for it to work. A USB type a male to USB type c also works. The supplied cable in the box is USB type a male to micro usb, which won’t work. That is for powering the camera only.

1 Like

Wyze linked this cable in the webcam firmware instructions. This is a USB type a male to male cable.

1 Like

Why would you need this cable if you’re trying to install firmware from a microSD card?

1 Like

This A to A type usb cable @Omgitstony is referring to is only for the new webcam setup and isn’t necessary to flash the firmware on Craig1507’s cam pan. I think it was a mistake because Craig1507 isn’t trying to setup a webcam if I’m understanding correctly. They’re only trying to flash the firmware on the pan to a different version.

I decided to try to roll the firmware back to a different version and have been unable to get the firmware version to change

3 Likes

My bad, with all the other posts everywhere about webcam firmware recently I guess my mind couldn’t shake that thought process. No for rtsp you don’t need the type a to a cable. Props to @StopICU33 for the assist and getting this back on track. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes, that is correct - I am only trying to flash firmware to a different version.

1 Like

Thought I’d report back - I did pick up another Cam Pan and had no issues getting firmware to flash following the same procedures I had been doing. So it must be something with the first one I had received.

2 Likes

I would open a support ticket and see if you can get a replacement?

1 Like

I had the same issue. The Wyze pan would not detect the firmware.
I had to format the card inside the cam and then add the firmware file in the root directory.
And the flashing worked (Finally got the solid blue light after pressing setup and plugging in power)

1 Like