Cam outdoor

No way to change the channel unfortunately. A 2.4GHz wifi signal shouldn’t affect a PIR sensor.

If you enable the backup option your 12s clips will be stored on the sd card in the base.

Sorry the range I was referring to was camera to base station. Some people report very short operating ranges. Yes, the base station can do the back up, but is that cloud based too or direct from the camera?

Here’s the norm on events notices from my new WCO

2 Likes

It’s not cloud based. To the SD card and you have to remove it and use computer to see files. Pretty lame.

1 Like

The thing i dont like it dont have the view playback option like the other cameras i have a memory card in the camera but it dont give me the option to view the whole day i guess you have to set it up to what time but that just takes more battery

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t know that. So I did as you suggested, which worked, but I just tested the detection and that’s not working. I’ll keep playing with it. This is in response to flyingchipmonk and the magnet on the top.

ok yes… this helped me! thanks… i put my camera upside down outdoors, and now the motion detection is working with settings of close/far=80 and sensitivity = 80 as well. at least i am getting some notifications, cant’. tell yet if everything is being detected but seems like mounting up high 12’ off the ground and upside down helped

1 Like

The detection zone should be changed to correspond with the rotated image. I’m guessing that will be the case in a firmware update. I’m not sure the camera is intended to be attached from the top to the base. It does work but the grip is not as strong as it is from the bottom.

Lame indeed. Hopefully more software will fix that in time. I moved my SD card from the camera to the base, then disconnected the network cable from the base station. I triggered the camera a few times then went back and reconnected the network. I immediately got the alerts for the movements I just made. That confirms what you said camera to SD w/o cloud. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

One more motion detection than I’ve gotten! This is at the end of my driveway and every car, dog and human that enters or exits my property passes it. It’s been up for 5 days and no Events. Just went out and adjusted it to better use the detection zone. Stood right in front of it and could see me and my dog on it, still no notification nor Event. Broken junk. I knew I was in for trouble when the installation videos only showed it being installed in places I already have V2s setup . . .

1 Like

Well IF you get it to have an “EVENT “ that 12 seconds is to the cloud. Recording of scheduled recordings and time lapse appears to be the only thing the SD receives. But all those clips would be backed up on base station SD which you can access from app. Very lame

1 Like

It works for me upside down.
I used Alien tape to secure the base.

I had “Detects Motion” and “Back up to Base Station” turned on in the camera directly from the opening screen that lists all devices, but when I went through My Base Station to my Cam Outdoors they were turned off. Maybe it will work now that I’ve turned it on there too? Mostly want to review the 15 second videos through the cloud. I do have a SD card in the Base Station, but that appears to be a useless “feature” if I have to remove it to view the files.

Okay just now the wife and I along with two dogs walked in front of the camera slowly at or about 30-35 ft. We were invisible to the camera.
Circling back we came across the view of camera at 15-18 ft. We got a 12 second event recorded and notification.

So far this thing is really only good for time lapse and live viewing. Both are battery draining. Guess I’m missing the purpose of actually owning it.

Was having a battery and water proofing the only development parameters?

1 Like

I think it’s good to have the small PIR sensor which is underneath the lens , as close to the ground as possible . Mine is mounted 9 ft up with the mounting magnet flipped downward and the camera magnet then attached to it. Then I swiveled the whole thing downward too at an angle. Because the pir senses heat, I think the motion has to be triggered close to it, then goes for the twelve seconds. I’ve also noticed the cool down takes longer than set sometimes.

Please keep all messages confidential and do not forward these to a third-party without my prior authorization.

Hi All, assuming we get past the PIR sensor working well, and all the other issue mentioned, does anyone know if using the SD card in the camera will eat up more battery than just always recording to the base station with no camera SD, for situations where it is home setup and base station is always available?

Like everyone else, I was excited to get this camera to replace all the v2s I have setup outside. so I ordered 5 of them. well, seems like I may end up with 5 duds and base stations until Wyze can fix things up with more firmware/software upgrades.

1 Like

The SD card in the camera is only used for Time lapse and Scheduled recording. 12 second videos from motion detection are stored in the cloud and on the base station if you have an SD card installed and set to backup the cloud files. You can only play back the cloud stored videos on the app not the ones stored on the base station.

You’ll also have one more camera than a single base station can handle. Well unless though have two coming that is. Limit is 4/base station

Got mine today, and like most of you, my motion detection & notifications don’t work either, even after the firmware update (lol that’s no “upgrade”!)
The camera definition is great, but otherwise this release is (as most are saying) is a horrible letdown. As with the fitness band, the software was buggy af, I can’t see how devs missed, idk, the friggin’ MOTION DETECTION + NOTIFICATIONS not working? That’s kind of a major miss, eh? heavy sigh
The “Founder’s Letter” in the outdoor cam ad, the “we sweated for two years/late nights/international flights” trope doesn’t really carry any weight when you guys deliver what’s basically half a paperweight. Perhaps a few legit nights spent actually testing the firmware so you don’t deliver… Bricks?
Like the majority here I’ll be waiting for the next? firmware release that (in theory, not practice) might un-bork this rig.

**Oddly, the outdoor camera just alerted for the first after the tenth attempt. After a 90 second lag, with full signal. Not horribly reassuring.

In the future, if Wyze wants us to beta test their buggy stuff, then offer it at a STEEP discount. If I’d only paid $30 for this & it was a stated Beta Test, I’d not be annoyed by this debacle.

Also: When camera is added to a group, it won’t initialize until you physically tap the “play” button on the screen. Not sure why, but it’s annoying.
When moving around in the camera group after the initial camera initialization, the outdoor camera will reconnect when you switch screens, mostly, but it’s quite slow & buggy.

Also (also) it’s pretty lame to not mention that you need to hook the base station directly to a router. That’s a not at all small detail that would have maybe cost you guys a few sales instead of p*ssing people who bought them, off. Just an observation.

3 Likes

After playing with my camera for the last 3 days I am relatively happy with it now. For the first day or so I thought it would make a good gift for someone else.

I have both detection settings cranked to 100. I get notifications from the things I want and no longer get notifications for the things I do not want…like my flag whipping in the wind. It works fine during the day as well as at night.

With all this said, I hope a future release allows us to “logon” to the base station such that we can watch the events saved on the SD card. We should also be able to logon to the base station and change the SSID and channel. I don’t like advertising the current SSID of “WYZE_…” to all those around my home… Also, they need to add a ‘restart’ function for WCO like we see with the v2’s.

1 Like