Cable ISP + 2 Google WiFi Mesh Network Nodes + 5 WyzeCams : Connectivity Issues

Topology:
100 MBps Downstream Cable ISP
Two Google WiFi Mesh Network Nodes (Same Floor in a 1300 Sq. Foot Home)
Five WyzeCams running latest firmware (as of this writing)

Anyone else out there with similar experiencing cameras dropping off network?

I don’t have this problem, yet. But, I’m getting a mesh system and I currently have 4 Wyze Cams, so I would like to know what the problem is and if and how it gets solved thanx.

how does the light at the back of the status flashing ? when it is disconnected ?

WyzeR,

Could you please rephrase your question? I want to ensure I answer your question.

Please note, this camera is at a remote location. It would be appreciated if you share any follow-up questions you may have, in advance.

With connectivity issues, our first check is usually the status light. Whether it is flashing yellow/blue ( indicating having problem connecting to router ), or flashing blue ( indicating connection issue with live stream ), or solid blue.

We recently release firmware 102 that has specifically reduced “flashing blue” issue. Sorry to hear that it is in a remote location, this question would not apply to you then if you are not able to see the camera. Do you plan on going to that location anytime soon ?

WyzeR,

I plan to go to that location in the next day or two. What would you like me to notate upon visiting the location about the cameras that are not connected to the local network?

I am losing connectivity to the wyzecam every couple days with a blue flashing light. I’m using ASUS AC66U router with the cam connected to 2.4Ghz. It seems the cam is still working as I’m getting notifications from the cam. If I power cycle the outlet the wyzecam is on then it returns to normal. I can also playback the video on the sdcard after I’m able to connect to it. I have been running 3.9.1.102 since I got it. I’ve been using it for a week now and the app has lost connection 4 times now. Any tips to try?

WyzeR,

I visited the location yesterday.

The LED status is showing an alternating blue and orange indication.

I want to also emphasize that there is a Google Wifi Mesh node right in the same room with a WyzeCam that is showing the flashing Blue/Orange indication.

Please advise.

All cameras are running 102.

Did you change any of the router default settings ? if so, can you tell me what you changed ?

We’ve found many issues with ASUS routers and we purchased ASUS AC68U and are stilling testing out to see what is the cause.

Did you mean that the Google WIFI nod is also flashing yellow and blue ? If so, what does that flashing pattern mean for google wifi ?

If possible, can you help grab a log from the camera when it becomes flashing yellow/blue ? below is the instruction.

Firmware log:
(please do not unplug your device after issue happened, otherwise the log will be erased)
1. Insert a micro SD card into the camera SD card slot. If it is already in the device, please take it out and reinsert the card
2. After hearing two chime sound (in about 5 seconds), wait for another 10-15 seconds and take out the SD card
3. Use a PC, laptop, or Mac machine to read the SD card. Under the root directory, there will be a log file “log_9451XXXX_s.txt”. That is the firmware log file. If you see more of the log files, please select the one matching your device MAC ID (at the bottom of your camera).

Did you mean that the Google WIFI nod is also flashing yellow and blue ?

No. I am speaking the WyzeCam only.

As feedback, I wish you would have made this firmware log file request earlier. At the beginning of this thread, I indicated:
It would be appreciated if you share any follow-up questions you may have, in advance.

I hope we do not have a language barrier.

I’ve found that manually setting the channel(s) for the 2.4GHz SSID helps with the issue of connectivity. Try setting the wifi channel to 1, 6 or 11. With these modern routers jumping channels to avoid noise & conflicts, some devices may not be able to keep up.

Also, with some modems & modem router combo units like the Arris Uverse/Fiber modems from AT&T, changing the bandwidth usage from 40MHz to 20MHz will make a difference in connectivity reliability & speed. 40/80MHz bandwidth only really helps in the 5GHz wifi radio which the Wyzecam currently does not support (although that would be a nice future feature).

1 Like

I was running the latest merlin firmware for the router. But I don’t have any special settings enabled. I’ve been running this firmware for the last year. Last night, I downloaded the OEM firmware and flashed it back to the original oem firmware. I’ll keep an eye on it to see if it still has issues.

WyzeR,
In your instructions for ‘Firmware log:’, you indicate the following:

1. Insert a micro SD card into the camera SD card slot. If it is already in the device, please take it out and reinsert the card

My cameras all contain a Class 4 Micro SD card. I understand that your company suggests Class 10, however, should Class 4 work OK?

Would it be OK to use a different micro SD card rather than reinsert the original card that is in the WyzeCam?

Just to update, with the factory firmware flashed… this morning I got the blue flashing led again and cannot connect to the camera. So, I just factory reset the router and all I did was setup the 2.4/5Ghz network names. The only setting I changed was set the 2.4 to channel 6 like the other poster suggested everything else is default. Lets see how this goes.

WyzeR,

Are you able to assist?

Also, please advise where I should send the log files?

UPDATE:
In chat with Mary Mann. She inquired what size and class microSD card I am using. I have 32GB microSD, Class 4 cards installed in all cameras.

Is it possible to insert a new microSD card (let’s call it “card A”) into the camera to capture just the log file?

Is it possible to take “card A” and take it to another WyzeCam to capture the log file without deleting the original contents of “card A”?

Also, this thread was submitted to the WyzeCam support email. The ticket number is:

Adding myself in to this comment chain for visibility, thanks!

sorry for the late reply.

1. Is it possible to insert a new microSD card (let’s call it “card A”) into the camera to capture just the log file? – the answer is YES.
2. Is it possible to take “card A” and take it to another WyzeCam to capture the log file without deleting the original contents of “card A”? The camera will not delete content on your card ( except for continuous recorded video files ). It will not replace the logs you captured from previous camera neither. Each log is named after the MAC ID of the camera, so 2 camera will have 2 logs.

3.Answer to the Class 4 card , yes, you can use class 4 card.

Regarding where to send the log, you can send it to support@wyzecam.com. You can reply and attached to the ticket #18580 you already created.

Does your router have Firewall and DoS protection enabled by default ?

Hi WyzeR,

By default, firewall is enabled and DoS protection is disabled. It disconnected again yesterday. I’m running factory Firmware Version:3.0.0.4.380_8120.