Battery pack for running cam in coop?

Can anyone recommend a battery pack that will let me run either the regular Wyze Cam or Pan Cam inside my coop for at least a few days in between charges? I’m more interested in night-time checking on my chicks.

We’re hoping to install an electrical outlet at some point, but until we get it done, I’d like to be able to check in on our chicks.

Thanks!

I don’t think you’ll get enough power from a battery to run a camera for days, maybe a deep cycle RV or golf cart battery but you’ll need to get it down to 5V.
Solar charging a battery is probably your best bet. Read this thread.
An extension cord may be an easier and cheaper solution if you’re within 100’.

2 Likes

This will last at least a couple days. The bigger the mAh, the longer it will last. They have slighter bigger one for 10 bucks more. When you don’t need it anymore it works as a jump starter. The pan will likely use more battery so I’d stick to the V2. Also keep the infrared lights on only while you check on them, then turn them off. There might be some longer lasting ones that you can attach a solar panel to.

https://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-18000mAh-SuperSafe-Starter-Portable/dp/B0748D8KT6/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=googloo&qid=1592834817&sr=8-4

1 Like

maybe wait a day and ask this question again…

3 Likes

So you’re within reliable WiFi range for live streaming, yes? If close, a heavy extension cord would prolly be the simplest.

But, yes, a number of the newer car jump starter battery thingies have USB ports on them now.

1 Like

This - new battery version is coming. Meanwhile I saw (and posted) a video of someone getting over 30 hours out of a small 6000 MaH battery. I believe he was just taking intermittent stills and not streaming the whole time.

1 Like

These are chicks. They’ll be McNuggets by the time WYZE releases the battery power cam. :grinning:

I know, the camera may be released tomorrow and there isn’t really chicken in a McNugget.

1 Like

Well “coop” and “checking on my chicks” could mean lots of things…

1 Like

Don’t mess with my bad jokes.

2 Likes

They’re not really chicks anymore, but I still call them that :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you don’t need a jump starter, you can find significantly cheaper battery packs / power banks. I haven’t used this, just found with a quick search…

20,000mAhr, 3 USB outs, USB-C in/out… $20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5MN6ZK

1 Like

i just did the wire to my chicken coop yesterday.
i use half inch pvc pipe to carry the cable.

after it was done i found the wifi signal not enough, speedtest shows 7.6/2.4 MB down/up spped, but not enough to hv wyze plug/bulb work consistently,
most of time offline, i’ll need wifi extender

1 Like

I use a 10,000 m battery pack from Anker. I get 48 hours of operation. A 20,000 pack would offer much more operation time. I also use it on a Google mini and get 2 days of constant play out of it.

4 Likes

Cool. 2 or 3 10,000 MaH packs at maybe $10 a piece and the OP is all set.

1 Like

2 days from a 10,000 mah battery is way better than I expected. That’s usuable. USB battery packs are cheap.

Anker is a top shelf company with outstanding customer service. They sell on Amazon. I will be purchasing a 20,000 mah charger from them soon.

1 Like

Second that. Am very happy with every Anker cable, charger, etc that I’ve bought.

1 Like

I’ve got Anker products. No problem with them at all.
I meant cheap as in inexpensive.

1 Like

Oh man, so many great suggestions.

I read something about wifi extenders causing problems with wifi inside the house. I was planning to look into this as well, we get decent enough wifi out where the coop is but I could see it dropping frequently.