AWS Outage Impacting Multiple Wyze Services - 12/15/21

I mean, that’s how my children try to get their way so…why not?

We had a few of the version 1,all we did is unplug it and pull back in and it work…

ok then, and if Wyze finally decides to give us local access as a result of enough people being fed up and yelling about it to get their attention and drive home how important it is, Especially after multiple global outages… I’m failing to see the downside.

1 Like

Done that already, interesting enough after I deleted the camera from my app, reset the camera and re-added it started working and this was about 15-30 minutes after posting. Now is back to the same thing and done the power cycle, sign off the app and signed in again. Both this older v3 and the one I just installed this weekend have the same firmware so not sure if it is just the older cam having issues.

Gwen, appreciate your tireless efforts to help people out with this.

However, this massive single point of failure showcases extremely poor judgment in infrastructure design. I cannot afford to spend days trying to literally keep the lights on in my house whenever there is a small AWS outage. Half of my lights are still screwed up from yesterday morning.

I’m going to replace all my current Wyze products with a hub-based solution, and I will not be coming back to Wyze in the future until the company can show that it is serious about reliability and quality code.

3 Likes

My doorbell cam was offline this morning. I power cycled it and now it’s working. I have a v2 Cam that refuses to stay connected and keep getting a Connection failed message in the Wyze app. I’ve reformatted the microSD card and power cycled the camera and still the problem persists.

Forums must be the safest place for a company to have people complain because they’re just complaining to other users. It’s the rubber room of the internet. We’re a tiny audience, and they don’t monitor these forums as a general rule. This dead letter file is the perfect place for ragethreats and ragequits.

3 Likes

What a POS… I utilize your products and services to secure and maintain a property over 100 miles away. The WYZE solution to any problem is to go physically touch the devices / power cycle or if all else fails delete and start over…

This crappy design is a rush for the money in my pockets for a play thing.

Great marketing, but the word of mouth praise I have been giving, ended here.

Higher someone who knows something about operations to build requirements for real products and hold developers responsible to meet those requirements.

Your hick YouTube videos should have been a clue to the level of professionalism of the organization.

Robert

1 Like

At 5am (EST) today my Alexa was able to turn off a light.

I love, Most of the Wyze Tech,

Yet I dread the idea of, more outages.

“The Best Ability, is Availability !”. -
Once said by a An NCAA Coach

This is 12/16/21 at 17:24 est. I attempted to reset my bulbs and plugs but they would not reset. I deleted each item from the Wyze app and attempted to connect them from scratch. The bulbs (2019) and plugs will not connect at all. I have been on hold for sometime. You posted that the problem has been resolved but it has not been resolved.

Here’s the fallback system for the next cloud outage…

3 Likes

Ouch.

Anyone who uses Wyze products for mission critical applications should have their head examined. Their stuff “Maybe” OK for hobbyists.

1 Like

Indeed. Amazing when people buy products from Apple and also from Onn, and then expect the same level of infrastructure and support. We first worlders are awesome at inventing problems based on arbitrary expectations.

2 Likes

Mine is doing the same thing. I have already power cycled the device as well as reset the deleted and re-added the device. Still have the issue. I’m even getting camplus notifications from it, but it still says offline in the app.

4try to sign out of the app then back in

So here’s a weird one - I fired up my headphones today and they’re having trouble connecting or more specifically, they show connected but I don’t get any audio. After I turned them off and on a few times, they operated normally. I took them off, the music paused and now I can’t get any audio again. Other than firmware, I didn’t think/know they had any cloud dependency but it’s too much of a coincidence for that not to be a factor. At this moment, I get no audio. Anyone else?

Indeed, the DOrbellCam failed to reconnect without power cycle.
This is bad, super bad, I am glad I was in the same physical location this time.
WYZE -fix it so every device reconnects no matter what.
Of course, AWS failure is yet another warning that converting my devices into your income stream is dangerous to us all.
Just get us the camera with built-in HTTPS server like in old days and offer any real > service for reasonable pay.
Mark my words -there will come day when we will outlaw the poaching and drive-by robbery as you and many others practice today.

That’s a fair point. When there’s a systemic issue that has the potential to or does affect the user base this significantly a notification email should have been sent and perhaps some updates along the way as well. This doesn’t cost anyone anything and is easy for Wyze to do. Hopefully the recent service degradation(s) will get Wyze to have a process in place for the inevitable next issue.

1 Like

Just power cycle it I did my 2 and it was so easy turn breaker off,on there was thousands of companies that were down yesterday and there’s nothing that wyze can do about it its a risk that all companies face everyday that involves technology.