App Dark Theme/Mode

They have no problem writing new modules for the ever increasing onslaught of new products.

If they focused their energies on writing the long promised “V3” app, addressing 98% of the wishlist, they’d sell a boatload more product and gain better reviews and press…

I know I’m holding off investing further, how many countless others?

3 Likes

I add my vote for a Dark Mode in iOS app. I was trying to use it last night and was constantly blinded by the white screen. Super frustrating, especially since every other app I use has a dark mode.

3 Likes

He probably saw it in this very thread, or on Facebook or Reddit where it has also been mentioned.

1 Like

I saw it 5+ years ago too…
Can we have a beta or something?? I don’t think you folks understand how much this blinding white ruins the entire experience. I have a lot of wyze products, and have gotten a ton of others using wyze products. That has ended though, for now at least, since it seems like the company is far more focused on pumping out new products, and not giving current users a reason to stick around.
5 years…

3 Likes

I’ve used DarQ to do this:

CoFounder Dave Crosby posted about the progress in February:

3 Likes

1 Like

Just learned the difference between Dark Mode and AMOLED Dark Mode…

I will be happy with regular Dark Mode, but AMOLED Dark would be amazing. the difference:

AMOLED Dark Mode means the pixels are actually turned off completely when black, thus not wasting any power and having no light of their own at all. Whereas on other LCD screens, black pixels are technically “On” and drawing power and are much brighter because they aren’t really true black, but a dark gray being shone on the screen.

I’m sure Wyze is first going to do LCD dark mode for now, but I wanted to point out that it would be really awesome to be AMOLED compliant so that battery drain is significantly reduced (something that has traditionally been a struggle with the Wyze app for some people). AMOLED is also becoming more popular, particularly with higher-end smartphones and TVs because it has wider color gamut and superior contrast ratio, while still having decent refresh rates, plus flexibility in design, and thus production costs have also been dropping. I’m just saying that it would be nice to have Dark mode to start with since all phones can use it, but have an optional AMOLED Dark mode which would be amazingly better since most smartphones are switching to AMOLED where the pixels can actually be off when dark.

3 Likes

With a large part of the screen in the app being taken up by video anyway, so that probably wouldn’t have as much of an effect as you think it would? :man_shrugging:t3:

In portrait view, only 1/3 of the screen is using video for live stream, cloud events or SD card playback. Nearly 2/3 of the screen could be “off” in a good dark mode design still. And that’s just for cameras (of which I have roughly 40) and not counting the rest of my nearly 300 Wyze devices, many of which could have even more than 2/3 of the screen turned offg designed well.

FYI, they have stated that for now they are only working on dark mode for cameras.

But for me personally, I’m usually either:

1. looking at a camera in group view (where most of the screen is taken up by camera views),
  2. clicked into a camera but turned sideways so I can see a larger view

So I guess it just depends on how you use the app for how much non camera view is on the screen :wink:

Yeah, I mean I don’t care what sort of dark mode they roll out. But either way, I wouldn’t want that to hold them up from releasing some sort of dark mode haha.

The issue of “backlight vs OLED self illumination” is managed by the phone/tablet/PC hardware. It is not an issue for coding an app.

The lower energy consumption of OLED when viewing dark screens is noticeably improved battery life.

Samsung Browser Dark Mode blows away Chrome. Rarely if ever do i find a web site which has an issue.

Too bad they make us pay for the privilege of viewing our own videos

Interesting, if it’s just determined by the hardware, why do some of my apps have a different selection for Dark Mode vs AMOLED Dark Mode? That seems pointless. It was this alternate selection that prompted me to look into what the difference is. But if it is not necessary, then what is the point in them having different options?

I’m highly confident the next thing coming will be the Wyze ShamWow …

What are you guys doing that you leave your phone vertical and leave the Wyze app on to where AMOLED would actually impact the battery in some significant way?

I personally want dark mode so I don’t have to wear sunscreen to bed on the off chance I need to check the Wyze app.

1 Like

100%

Looking at the camera at night hits the eyes like 1000 suns :rofl:

1 Like

Hmm… I’ve never run into an app that offers that setting for screen type, though being in the graphic arts business, I would imagine it is for loading a specifically balanced contrast/color profile to give a consistant appearance across both types of screen.

Are they graphics programs? If you can give a name or two and a platform (iOs or Android) I’d be happy to look into their reasoning.

You’ve piqued my interest!

1 Like

From what I’ve seen, a lot of times “Dark Mode” is dark gray and “OLED Dark” is black.

3 Likes

Ugh, ok let’s address the people Wyze hired to distract from the real issue…

Dark mode is typically grey #121212 which lights up the brightness of your pixels to 7%. Over at XDA when they modeled it the expected power consumption is .03% which is technically higher than 0%, but in testing they said it was 1.2mw more than AMOLED.

The reason many apps don’t offer full AMOLED is likely due to avoidance of black smearing when scrolling. Grey isn’t as impacted as this. Could also be harder to program (not fully privy to all reasons).

Ultimately though what’s by far the most important about the dark mode vs AMOLED dark mode debate is if having a pure white mode on the Wyze app actually causes damage to your retinas over time. It’s also important to determine if it has a long term negative impact to your sleep and mental health.

Ok Wyze, we’re no longer blinded by your hired consultants trying to distract from the point, we’re now only blinded by your app and staring into the sun (testing is currently underway to determine to difference, but models show it’s only about .03%).

1 Like

@Jeff_CA the information you shared about Dark vs AMOLED dark was extremely appreciated, though I wish it was written with more courtesy and respect. I’d like to clarify that I am a user just like you, and Wyze did not pay me to “distract.” Wyze has never discussed AMOLED with me or anyone that I know of in any way, ever. Wyze has never hired me as a “consultant” as you said, I do not work for, speak for, or represent Wyze. I am a user/customer.

I simply learned about the difference between Dark mode and AMOLED dark mode just within the last couple of days and am trying to understand it. Discussing the difference here in no way affects Wyze’s efforts on this. They already have it listed as approved and finally recently moved into the “In progress” phase and “development” label. I have been advocating for dark mode with Wyze for years now. I’ve even brought it up many times in AMA’s and keep making sure they have conversations about it. I want it as much as anyone.

I use dark mode on everything that supports it, I have even used force dark mode and alternative solutions to force it on things that don’t support it. I am and have always been VERY pro-dark mode. Even just a few comments up I clearly indicated I will happy with regular dark mode, especially to start with, so I was in no way suggesting any “delay” or distraction or advocating for white mode as implied.

Having that clear, the information on the different considerations and background on it was very appreciated and exactly what I was looking for. I had not heard of this black smearing yet. That is very interesting, and makes sense. It was really awesome that you also posted numbers about the different power consumption differences, which I agree are fairly negligible between the 2 types of dark mode, especially compared to how much more white uses compared to either of them. I have always wondered about the mw differences. That is cool. Thanks for sharing, I love the data/numbers and history of it that you shared. That was great stuff. Thank you.

2 Likes

[What] are you on about?

It doesn’t matter what is said in this forum. Wyze is going to do what Wyze wants to do.

You, I and your imaginary Wyze employees have zero influence.

MOD NOTE: Post edited to conform to the Community Guidelines.

1 Like

Sorry, forgot the /S

2 Likes