Adding an antenna to the V3

OK guys and gals I’m going to post a link for a YouTube video in which a gentleman installs an external antenna on the V3 camera

It’s very clear very concise and it will be very helpful for those of us who wish to modify that particular camera

Wyze Cam V3 External Antenna Install - YouTube enjoy…

17 Likes

Nice find! Thank you for sharing! :+1:

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t need this for an antenna, but I’ve been desperately trying to figure out how to open one of my V3’s that stopped working after a short fall (6ft?), and jiggled something loose inside…I want to try to reconnect it to work again and close it back up all without making things worse, and this shows me how to open it without causing extra damage.

This video will be useful for my situation too! Thanks again for sharing.

4 Likes

What’s the purpose of the external antenna?

Stronger signal and increased distance.

Be able to place a camera somewhere it wouldn’t work before because of a weak signal (thick walls or other obstructions, or far distance.

3 Likes

Basically it increases the range of the camera from your Wi-Fi

1 Like

Does anybody know the transmit power of the cam? I think the fellow on YouTube is using some 8dB gain dual band antennas. It’s very flexible in terms of mounting or placement but not the antenna I would use for maximum range. I’m curious what the total dB output would be there.

2 Likes

Afternoon, all. Very helpful video. Does anyone have any info on the antenna and connector installed? Like to try this fix if I can track down the parts.
Thx,
dph

Disregard. Found the info from the comments.
Have a good day.
dph

You can use any antenna type where you can solder leads onto the board. You don’t have to use any particular model, just make sure it is a 2.4GHz compatible antenna. For a brief overview of antenna types, Prof Messer has a succinct video on the subject. The second video is a bit more in depth but between the two, it’ll give you a really good idea of what antenna to choose if you have a specialized need. For most home users though, a simple omni antenna will do the job for you.

1 Like

Thanks, very much.
dph

If you go to the official youtube video, someone asks him the same thing and he provides the Amazon link to the exact Antenna he used in the comments.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B088GWHNCR/

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks, much.
dph

1 Like

I would guess this voids any warranties

Does this help to be able to to connect through a metal building? I bought one of the kits but I can not connect through my building. If it does not have you any idea how to connect an external antenna to the base station so I can run to the outside to be able to connect to the camera?
Thanks PR

@rives Yes, it would void warranty. :upside_down_face:

Yes @p.restivo , you can run a coaxial cable to an outside antenna. :slightly_smiling_face:
Keep the length short to prevent too much signal loss in coax. Link to some ideas:

It’s only a 25 dollar camera, who cares…

Just to follow up, I did use this video to open up my V3 and see if I could fix my non-functioning V3, and it turns out, that my guess was correct. The small drop knocked the power plug loose. I just had to plug it back in and it started to work again! This video helped me be able to open it up to fix it! Thanks @Big_monkey for posting this! You just saved me from paying for a $25 replacement and frustration thinking that I accidentally broke a brand new device.

4 Likes

If this antenna has an 8 dBi gain we may expect about 13 dB improvement in the range. It is about 20 times! However, this antenna looks to be vertical, hence has an omnidirectional radiation pattern. In this case, it simply cannot be 8 dBi but only about 2 dBi. Secondly, probably a patch antenna will be the better choice. It is small enough to be placed inside the camera case, therefore, will not affect installation at all. Patch antenna of this size for 2.45 GHz may have the gain of at least 5 dBi to 8 dBi. For installation of patch antenna inside the camera case connecting cable and SMA connector are not necessary and antenna may be soldered directly to the board. Wyze can easily implement this improvement into its design. It should not increase the cost of the camera.

2 Likes

That statement would hold some value if you only owned one camera but many of the usual out here have 10, 15 and some have even more than that multiply that by the $25 and the hours of frustration trying to get them to work and people do care and rightly so and it’s too damn bad that Wyze doesn’t seem to care

2 Likes