Add support for Tasker Integration

You can do that kind of schedule directly through Wyze App Rules, or with Alexa or Google for free. I think you can do it even if you don’t have any of their hardware devices, just with the Amazon Alexa or Google Home Apps (Though Wyze and Google make you enter a specific scheduled activation time, and Alexa will let you set the “Time” as “Sunset” or X minutes before or after Sunset and then it will continually update the trigger for you based on when sunset is, even as it changes over the course of the year).

First make sure to link Alexa or Google Home to Wyze so the skills work and the devices are recognized, then the following instructions work:

For Alexa, Select / Click the following in order (instructions from the Alexa Mobile App…though you can probably set it up online too):

1. More -
  2. Routines -
  3. Plus Sign in the upper right -
  4. When this Happens -
  5. Schedule - Sunset
  6. Now select specific days or all of them, and you can have it start X minutes before or after sunset or right at sunset
  7. Next
  8. Add action
  9. Smart Home
  10. Lights
  11. Select the Light
  12. Next
  13. Change the settings how you want (Power On; you can also set Brightness, color, etc).
  14. (update the name of the routine if you want)
  15. Save

You can do it through the Google Home App with a Scheduled Routine too.

1. Click on Routines
  2. Plus Sign
  3. Set a Time and Days (I don’t think you can select Sunset as a trigger like Alexa, but you can figure out your average sunset and set a time for then.
  4. Under Assistant will - click “+ Add action”
  5. Type in your command (ie turn on the Front Porch Light), or click on Browse Popular Actions, select Adjust lights, plugs and more, click the settings gear icon next to it, Select the light and change status to “Turn on” then click okay
  6. Click Add
  7. Save

Wyze App

1. Click Plus sign
  2. Add Rule
  3. Schedule
  4. Select Light
  5. Select Turn on
  6. Next
  7. Name the Rule
  8. Select Start Time and Save
  9. Select Days
  10. Save

I love the possibilities Tasker will give us too, but thought you might like some alternative solutions that are available to implement immediately.
(You can also follow the same steps to turn things off in the morning/sunrise).

I was looking at and considering the Wyze Home Monitoring but one of the things I was wanting was to be able to use Tasker to turn monitoring on when I leave {and naturally forget} then turn monitoring OFF when I return and set off a distinctive tone so I know it was done. Basically avoiding the entry code part.

Perhaps the Wyze app for the monitoring device{s} will have something similar I don’t know BUT Tasker integration would be AWESOME.

In the AMA this fall, Wyze said they are working on a geofencing feature…which means it will do things based on your location. So it sounds like [eventually] this will be built into the app, or at least this service. However, there is no ETA on when this may be available.

Thanxz for the reply!

Yeah I saw that but still Tasker is such an incredible app that’s both popular and has been around for the last 10 years … actual integration would be awesome! Currently I have to use tricks to make Tasker fake tap the screen. There are just so many options like NFC control that I’m hoping Wyze incorporates Tasker.

Can you elaborate on what you’re doing with this and how? I am very interested in understanding this.

It’s a kind of a long topic but I’ve always rooted everything and Tasker has had for a long time “input tap x,y” and "input swipe x1,y1 x2,y2 " which basically lets you emulate a tap or swipe just replace the X and Y with your screen coordinates.

There are also apps like Tasker AutoInput that makes things easier and I believe work without requiring root but I root everything so no guarantees.

This sounds like it lets you easily do anything you want BUT like most worthwhile things it’s tricky and can take a long time to figure out. There’s the whole orientation thing that can change the x, y coordinates, then lock and unlock issues, screen visibility, blanking, Tasker version, android version, phone type ad infinitum, etc.

So short answer “input tap x, y” AND Tasker integration = AWESOME.

That is pretty cool. I definitely understand how it can be tricky with all those variables that could interfere with what it needs to be consistent in some ways. How do you figure out what to enter for X and Y? Do you use a another program to tap and see what it shows what the coordinate numbers for it were, and input those? Does Tasker help you to know in some way? That’s something that could be difficult, figuring out the exact X and Y numbers to use to know where that tap happens. Do you just enter guesses and refine them little by little until you figure out the exact right numbers for where you needed it to be?

When you go into Developer Mode there is an Input Option for “Pointer Location” that will give you X and Y coordinates. Also nearby there is something like see or Show Taps which I recommend turning on.

Keep in mind that tap location is specified as a point but depending on the button size it’s really more of a defined shape bullseye that you just need to get inside.

Many of the Tasker apps like AutoInput {which I do recommend} have their own ways of getting the coordinates but they don’t always work.

For me I use developer modes Tap Location to get an idea of the point I want, then turn on Show Taps and then use Tasker to tap that location but with a delay so you can see where it is tapping AND if it works or not.

After that I typically nudge the point keeping in mind that bottom left is position (0,0).

I’m glad someone is interested in this but I’m really no expert and I’m sure there are better ways by now, I’ve been doing this for 7 or 8 years, just google “Tasker input tap” and I’m sure you will find better explanations and likely easier ways of doing this.

1 Like

Thanks, that is really helpful. I already had some of those things turned on in developer mode (I use the show taps stuff a lot for things like professional QA user testing purposes so they can recreate the bugs I find and record for them to re-enact). I didn’t think about Pointer Location options and apps (I have some that provide that, now that I think about it), that makes sense.

I understand the inherent limitations and potential issues (varying loading/timing can be an annoying issue that’s hard to judge consistently), but I think I (and others) can make it work successfully by using an old phone as a dedicated Smart Home device or even just a Wyze device with Tasker macros. For example, I just upgraded from a Note 8 to a Pixel 5. Now I have a spare Note 8 I plan to dedicate as a Central Smart home device. Tasker will allow me to use to do things otherwise nearly impossible for automation because I can use it act as if a person manually did everything…so I appreciate your recommendations. I’ll have to check it out.

I still fully agree that it would be nice if Wyze helped with all this by providing some API access to Tasker to not have to jump through all those complicated and unpredictable loopholes. It would also allow us to add customized shortcuts to the new Android Smart home control screen that shows up when we hold the power button (Android 11).

I’m glad that was helpful!

If you have an extra smartphone I highly recommend rooting it. I know some of these options are root only OR require an additional Tasker app so was a little apprehensive about posting about them. For instance I just checked and I believe “input swipe” requires root to work properly.

The swipe command is rather important to scroll through a long list of Wyze devices.

In any event Yes Tasker integration into Wyze devices or just the app would be Awesome. A button or voice command to directly go to cam1 or cam2 and have it in landscape mode would be perfect. I already use RTSP on my V2’s to avoid the Wyze app and just stream the video.

That’s a good idea. I’ve always wanted to root my phone, but have been scared to because it voids the warranties, and if Google notices, they ban you from access to certain things like Google Pay, and who knows what else (though there are things that will try to hide that you did it)…I want the access, but not the risk of being banned from things I still want to be able to use. Stupid google…let ME decide if something is secure enough or worth the risk, quit making my decisions for me.

That goes for you too Wyze…intentionally restricting us from choosing how often we want the smart watch to check out heart-rate, and not allowing automated oximeter, all to force us to have a longer battery life…let ME choose my own balance between functionality and battery life, don’t choose for me.

That’s the whole point of tasker…let me choose what I want to be able to do…even with Wyze automations here. Come on Wyze API’s!

Wait what … since when does google care? Honestly more than half my apps require root access and I got them from Google Play. Even the ones that the play store said wouldn’t work on my phone. Just go to an APK Downloader site, download the app you want and sideload it.

I’m also pretty sure google doesn’t care if your phone/tablet is rooted. I rooted the Nexus 7 a day or two after I got it almost a decade ago and have never had any issues … well no issues that I didn’t create but google never said anything.

Unlocking and rooting is a choice you can do more but yeah your warranty is gone.

Um yes I would like a Wyze Tasker interface but I’m ok with what Wyze chooses. Yes, the oximeter would be better if I could schedule it to run at certain times or intervals BUT I still think it’s worth the cost.

Wyze are not the “best” products that you can buy but they are seriously the BEST Value.

I made better cameras than the V2 with a Pi Zero W and MotionEyeOS and yes I have a 3D printer too. But the V3 is weather proof AND has a Starlight sensor … I cannot even get a starlight sensor for $20.

In any event, it’s a new product, Wyze knows what they are doing, it might need tweaking but that’s the way things go. Maybe they’ll produce an oximeter only watch that checks blood ox every few minutes 'cuz that would be incredibly useful.

Honestly I like Wyze I pre-ordered one of just about everything. The watch is cheap if I decide I don’t like it … I’ll see what I can do to hack it.

I’m also not sure about the headphones BUT mine are arriving next week so I’m stoked!

I don’t know if there will be anything to use Tasker for with these but honestly the cameras, bulbs, sensors and home security could be amazing with Tasker integration. For everything else I’ll just ride along and enjoy the Wyze journey.

Ah, when I was reading up on rooting my new Pixel 5 to get past some of the latest protections in Android 11, there were a bunch of warnings about making sure to find a way to bypass “safetynet” saying:

Google’s SafetyNet system can now detect Magisk (what you use to root Pixel 5 on Android 11) unless you take a few extra measures. In other words, you’ll want to do these last few steps if you don’t want to be blocked from using secure apps like Google Pay or games that people use root to cheat in like Pokémon GO.

I don’t care too much about games, but I do use Google Pay, and it made me hesitate, wondering what else I might risk losing. Then I read posts by several others complaining about how once they rooted, google’s Safety net was still restricting them. Also, to root the Pixel 5, they have to change the fingerprint of the phone to a 3a, which causes issues with OTA updates and who knows what else…so maybe Android 11 is worse to root than earlier versions? I guess I can root the old phone…but so far it sounds a little scary to root the new Android 11 Pixel 5 when people don’t even know what all breaks by doing the root and spoofing it as a different model. There are some other bugs that aren’t fixed yet (USB transfer to and from PC has issues too).

Anyway, I am glad to hear your experience with rooting. I’ve always really wanted to do it, but the scary stories always make me hesitate.

Yeah, I love Wyze too. I’m coming up on roughly 75 total Wyze products…so I completely agree about the best value thing. Wyze should do a 3D printer, I’d be all over that.

What I hope will be an easy addition to the Wyze Watch is the ability to run defined Tasker tasks from the shortcuts menu.

I have a number of Tasker recipes which allow me to do things on my phone and in my home automation setup beyond my Wyze devices. It would be great if the Wyze app could, at the very least, see the list of defined tasks, and allow them to be called as shortcuts from in the Wyze app, and thus from the Watch.

1 Like

This would be an amazing addition.

1 Like

This would be AMAZING. The watch is lacking a few things, like media controls, but with the ability to trigger tasker profiles from the shortcuts menu, I could add those and so, so much more!

I would like to use Tasker to have my Wyze doorbell give my phone a doorbell ring with the volume turned up that is distinct from other Wyze device notifications (set to vibrate only). Also automattically pull up the doorbell camera.

Use a wemo switch instead of a wyze switch. Problem solved.

Tasker integration

Please consider adding Tasker plug-in functionality to your Android app. Tasker is a very powerful automation app for Android devices. For the apps that have this plugin functionality, there is no need for the IFTTT intervention to do incredible things automatically. Tasker’s developer is quite active on support forums (Reddit, Google Groups) and would share with you whatever is needed to get this going.

Imagine this scenario: When you get a text message from a specific person, change a Color Bulb to a different color.

Another one: When a user turns on the bedroom lights, Tasker changes the user’s phone from silent (or do not disturb) to ring.

One more: When the user’s phone reaches full charge, change a Color Bulb to green and switch the Wyze Plug to off.

I believe this Tasker plug-in would increase the value of your products because it enhances the smart home experience.

3 Likes

I second this request.

Everything else is crude by comparison, Tasker is the reason android is light-years ahead of IOS in automation. Wyze events made available to Tasker would be a game-changer - like turn on my outdoor lights at night when a person is detected, but not for raccoons or birds…

Tasker effectively manages automation, geofencing, phone states - I use it to boost my car’s audio level according to speed and road conditions, and to stop charging my phone beyond 80% unless I’m in my car leaving my neighborhood.

4 Likes