Add features to the Wyze Mesh Router and Router Pro

@carverofchoice, You can. You and I are using the same manufacturer router. Look it up on their site. on a PC you can access via www.asusrouter.com or it might be router.asus.com and use your routers admin/password to get in. The account you created with you setup that system.

Under the left column, General, first item is Network Map. Select it. Then in the center column, you see View List. Select it. Many of your devices will help you identify what they are, by the name, such as Google, Google-Mini, or Amazon. Wyze for instance will say Wyze Technology. Hereā€™s a tip, Want all your devices to group by type? Put a number or letter to force the device to group together in the client name blank. Then when you sort they fall together. Actually seconds have you update the name, it resorts itself. You can copy and paste the ā€œmeaningful nameā€ you use in your home network device spreadsheet, vice retyping everything.

AND once you are inside the list, and select and client, to rename, thereā€™s also an icon to its left.
STOP RIGHT THERE. Got back to the left column, and click on AiMesh and wait for the screen to redraw. Half way down on the far right column, You see Client List. Move a little lower to the first client and click on its icon or name. Now, click on the icon change button and bring up a selection of more unique identifying icons for that device. AND if that is not already ā€œslickā€ enough, you can scroll down to the bottom of the icon list and import your own icon choice into your list to more uniquely identify your device.

AND, once you have changed these names, and selected a ASUS provided icon for each client, you can save this entire configuration out to a separate file. Later you can restore that backed up file if you need to. It does NOT save the unique icon you imported though. Shucks.

From the Network Map > Client List, you can sort all the column. Clients Name, Client IP address, Clients MAC address, Interface (2.4 or 5) Tx Rate, Rx Rate and Access Time.

Of my 140 devices, I have two that I canā€™t find on my network. WiFi devices. They only show by MAC. So, I placed a ? mark in front of the Client nameā€™s MAC address to push it to the top.

2 Likes

I use the iOS version free version of a product called Fing. Pretty cool. Map my network, and lets me sort device the client name is manufacturer generated, but help me id the device. An earlier version allowed a login with an account and store all the hard work I did id and naming the devices. But not of late, canā€™t.

I am impressed that you remember I had ASUS ZenWiFi Mesh routers. :slight_smile: Update: I actually took those offline now --I still have them, but I am not using them at the moment. As of now, I am using these Wyze Mesh Router Pro routers, especially since they have a 6GHz band with them, and will eventually allow me to save Wyze Cam videos to a harddrive. :slight_smile:

But yes, I wish these Wyze routers had all the wonderful features the ASUS routers do. Like you described, it is much easier to sort and view devices and find MAC addresses in the ASUS router. I am just telling Wyze here that they should make something similar to what our ASUS routers allow. :+1:

3 Likes

Hmm, Your ASUS ZenWiFi didnā€™t have a 6 GHz Backhaul?

Thereā€™s a fast market on eBay for ASUS routers. You should post them.

Wyze Proā€™s support only 75 devices each node. I canā€™t do that.

1 Like

I think my XT8 had dual 5GHz-2 bands with WiFi 6, but not 6e (6GHz).

I thought about selling my ASUS routers, since they are so expensive, but I think Iā€™ll keep them as a backup. They are great routers, and I like having a backup when needed. Who knows, maybe Iā€™ll sell them. Weā€™ll see.

Going to try using just the Wyze Pros by themselves for a while for now either way. I would just like Wyze to add some better Device list features like is in this wishlist.

1 Like

Sell the XT8ā€™s and watch for a deal on the ET8ā€™s. ET8ā€™s have 6e. That way you improve your backup set while positioning yourself for a better pair.

1 Like

Wyze Routers Support for both ā€œMatterā€ and ā€œThreadā€

1 Like

These should be capable of this since the FCC records indicate these have a Zigbee radio in them, which means they could eventually turn on Thread and make them Matter compatible. I am mostly adding a comment here to show support for the request of Matter and Thread for these routers.

3 Likes

I would like to be able to see full list of active client devices sorted by which Band they are using.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not as tech savvy as you. Are you saying that you if you pay for a VPN, then, for some reason, you canā€™t use it with the Wyze Routers?

Or are you saying that with some other brands of routers you get a free VPN?

Thanks for your reply!!

1 Like

vLan tagging would allow me to eliminate the CenturyLink provided modem/router unit. So thatā€™s high on my list when looking at purchasing new routers.

3 Likes

Parental Controls Are A Must !

Please expend the existing feature.

Blocking access to a domain for the entire network is not parental control.

• blocking domains per device and per group

• scheduling access allowed/denied to network/site per device and group

• stats per device and group

• network traffic log per device

9 Likes

Donā€™t own one yet, but things Iā€™d expect to see include:

• Add data usage / bandwidth tracking and reporting
  • List of Devices by router
  • Add ability to delete devices
  • Use device name for ā€˜devicesā€™ in the Mesh Router / Router Pro device list instead of the MAC address.

Things Iā€™d like to see:

• Add VPN capabilities
  • vLan Support
  • Force a device to only connect to a specific router
  • Add an ability to see a list of all devices including details, similar to a spreadsheet.
  • Add a more enhance Parental Controls, not just site blocking
  • Support ā€œMatterā€ and ā€œThreadā€
  • Ability to sort devices by the Band it is connected to.
6 Likes

I got my Mesh Router Pros and switched the first to bridge mode and was happy to see the second one I added automatically in bridge mode, but Iā€™m very disappointed that I can only select one WPA encryption for all SSIDs and not per SSID. Iā€™m using the 2.4 GHz guest network for IOT devices and some of them donā€™t support WPA3 and I was very disappointed I had to downgrade all SSIDs to WPA2.

Even having the IOT devices on the guest network has made me really wish VLAN support was there so I could have them more fully segregated.

2 Likes

Are you having any problems with bridge mode? Iā€™m trying to configure my non-Pros for bridge and keep getting a red light on the satellite intermittently.

Enabling guest mode really made them mad, it offers DHCP for clients but doesnā€™t actually route traffic from that subnet to the bridged networkā€™s upstream router as the gateway.

I have both of mine using wired backhaul and the only time Iā€™ve noticed issues is when I enabled guest mode the devices stopped allowing the app to manage until I power cycled, and that was hit or miss whether it would revert the last changes or not.

I did notice that the 6GHz was WPA3 while the 2.4 and 5 were WPA2 after the last time I toggled the setting, but since the 2.4GHz guest network I tried using for IoT wasnā€™t routing I had to fire up one of my other APs that can properly handle VLANs and multiple SSIDs.

Thanks for that response. Iā€™m just trying to turn on bridge mode and as soon as I do the satellite starts displaying a red light, intermittently, and it seems to go offline as well. I donā€™t see any problems when in non-bridge mode, but havenā€™t really gotten past this issue to do much else.

Try doing a factory reset and put the primary into bridge mode BEFORE you add the satellite. I believe thatā€™s the order I did things.

I need to factory reset again and switch which router is primary (or just physically move and rename them), and see about seeing up the SSIDs to avoid conflicts with my AP that is serving the IoT since it can do VLANs and per SSID security settings.

Tried adding the satellite after switching to bridge mode and the router couldnā€™t be added. According to the post from one of the Wyze product managers, you should add all the nodes, THEN switch to bridge mode. Doesnā€™t seem to work either way.

Will the Wyze router support EasyMesh in the future. It is new standard software that allows for using external WiFi network hardware, but across your mesh network. I would like to use it with my outdoor antenna array, over using it as a bridge with separate WiFi SSID names.

1 Like