Add Android app feature to connect to camera on isolated, guest network

Please add a feature to the Wyze app for Android (tested version v2.25.22) to make it handle wifi isolation better, just like the Wyze app for iPhone already does.

The steps to reproduce the issue are below. The environment for the reproduction of the issue is a home network that supports 2 wifi networks using the same /24 IP subnet: an isolated, guest wifi network, and a main, fully-interconnected wifi network. The guest network and the main network use different IP ranges within the same /24 IP subnet. So a guest-network device might have IP 10.0.0.109 while a main-network phone might have IP 10.0.0.24

1. put a Wyze Cam 3 on a wifi “guest” network that is isolated. In other words, on this guest network, the camera can only see the internet; it is isolated from communicating with other guests, or communicating with anything on the main network.

2. put an Android phone on the same guest network: the Wyze app for Android can connect to the camera, all is well.

3. put an Android phone on the main wifi network: the Wyze app for Android will fail to connect to the existing camera

NOTE: the Wyze app for iPhone connects in all cases; it already has this feature. The iPhone app apparently senses when the camera cannot reply because the camera is isolated, and uses a network path via the internet instead of a direct path to the camera.

In the Android case, the app running on the main network can see the camera and send requests to the camera, but the camera cannot reply since it is on an isolated network. So the app needs to adjust and use the internet to communicate with the camera.

Please add this feature to the Android app.

[Mod Note]: Your request was moved to this Category for better visibility in order for the community to help troubleshoot your issue.

Welcome to the Wyze community larham. My networks are set up in a similar fashion with subnets, but I don’t experience your issue on my Android and iOS devices…

Community members are more likely to assist if you provide additional detail. I.e., LAN hardware details, phone/tab model, phone/tab OS version and phone/tab UI details etc.

Alternatively, you may wish to call Wyze Customer Support for assistance:

Wyze Customer Support: (206) 339-9646
Available Monday - Friday 4 am - 8 pm PT
Saturday 8 am - 4 pm PT

1 Like