A plane or a satellite?

3 Likes

Possibly the ISS.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty awesome catch. I believe that it is a plane and not some sort of space craft or satellite. This is because planes usually have a strobe on them to make it easier to see and avoid. Anyways awesome video.

1 Like

Agreed that airplanes have flashing anti-collision lights (usually strobes). But there does not appear to be any flashes in this video. I’m also going with towelkingdon - maybe the ISS.

3 Likes

There is an App for that :slightly_smiling_face: ISS Detector seems to work 4Me.

3 Likes

I vote ISS also. Have recorded predictions myself. Bright w/no flashing colored lights. The solar arrays usually help to make it so visible. Pretty incredible that you caught it by chance, it is only viable like this a few times a month in most locations!

If you look in the center of the recording, you may see a satellite there.

2 Likes

Will the app let me search past dates, I took this video on the 14th May?

I’m going to go on a limb but as bright as that is, no visible flashing, and the concurrent speed relative to the stars, my vote is that it was the Space station. :slight_smile:

planes normally wouldn’t be that bright. but the ISS would.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, I have just been going through some more clips from May and I have a very similar video to this one, its wonderful that this little camera can pick this stuff up.

2 Likes

My prediction app is based on orbital elements that drift every day or so, but I should be able to estimate its rough position if I know generally where you live so I can see what time zone you are in. I can also confirm the angle you saw it at if I know what direction the camera was pointing when you recorded this.

2 Likes

Vancouver, British Columbia and the camera points straight up.

Looks like that was the ISS, all right! It was passing west-to-east in this picture:

9 Likes

Brilliant research, thanks so much!
Its exciting to think that the camera can pick the ISS up.

3 Likes

Awesome detective work!

1 Like

Yes, I am very impressed with the V3’s new starlight sensor. Kudos to you too for randomly catching the ISS by chance! For instance, it probably won’t be visible to you like that again until JULY. So not like it is picture-ready every night.

So that’s how long you have to download your own predictor app to alert you when it is due to pass overhead again when it is visible! :grinning:

I use the free GoISSWatch for iPhone. @dr.know’s ISS Detector is also available on Android.

I secondarily use a costed GoSatWatch for iOS that can track satellites and things like that Chinese rocket booster that was supposed to fall on our heads recently. That one says there is a good chance that the ‘possible’ satellite you see in the middle of your video at the beginning is a Chinese Amateur Radio Satellite cataloged as BY70-2.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks again, I’ll definitely be downloading an app or two to try and identify all this stuff I’m seeing.

1 Like

There are actually two items in the capture. One moving from the upper left corner to the bottom right corner, probably a satellite, very small, dim.
and the larger image going from the bottom left toward the top middle. That is almost definitely the ISS, that is about the correct brightness.

Bob Willey - K3RLW

5 Likes

Wow, good eye. I missed that the first time, Satellite most likely.

1 Like

I see lots of those small faint satellites, sometimes more than one at the same time as well.

I think I identified that dim satellite in the video at the bottom of the message I am replying to. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes