2FA failure, unable to log into account after phone reset

100% agree, SMS for sure.

SMS for MFA is sneered at (because phone numbers can be spoofed or duplicated or a maliciously ported) but I think it’s mostly fine.

2FA is a nightmare even at the highest levels. I know a largeish company using Microsoft O365 Authenticator and the MFA responses - whether to SMS or dialback or app - routinely take 1 or more minutes to come through. This then leads to repeat attempts and extraneous mismatched 2FA codes coming through, as well as makes every user ripe for an “MFA fatigue” attack where they may be lured to just click yes or enter a code when overwhelmed with 2FA prompts from an attacker.

The state of “best practice” information security stinks, and 2FA is bad news.

OK. I must be looking at a different image for the recovery code then. teh 23 digits almost fills the screen.

Thank you

Maybe we’re using a different authenticator app? I’m using Google Authenticator for Android.

For me, I was using Google Authenticator, that was my issue in recovering the backup. I was not able too. It required I use my pin and the backup did not like the PIN I was using. Google was unable to help.

As for Wyze, it’s pretty obvious they have helped people in the past as there are a few threads that show they were helped by the Eng team, but the support quickie says it’s
“no longer available”. Since you can do SMS or Authenticator, they should be able to flip the accounts from one or the other for you.

What amazes me, I have access to my web account, I even can view my camera’s in web view beta (https://auth.wyze.com/login). Neither need MFA to logon. But the app does. Go figure.

I ran into the same thing where my account that I had three subscription licenses for was locked. I was unable to access my account and unable to reset my password so I had to create another account. But now I have three annual subscriptions that I paid for and am unable to use. Wyze will not answer any of my emails, and the app doesn’t provide any assistance. I’m afraid the only way I’ll get any resolution is to start legal action. What a shame, I used to be happy with my Wyze products. 3 cameras and 3 annual Cam plus subscriptions bought and paid for and I can’t even use them. I wish they at least had a decency to answer my questions, Even if it’s to say “tough luck buddy”. I’m shopping for a whole new system now. Wish it could remain Wyze, but …

You don’t need the app, to manage the account for the subscriptions, log to the web site via a PC or cell and manage and disable the subscriptions that way. Give it a try, you should be able to remove them all there.

https://www.wyze.com/account?view=subscriptions