WyzeCam V2 shows up as "Google Home Mini"

I’ve got 2 V2’s and one pancam. Examining my network with FING app on my phone, my oldest V2 is identified as Voice Assistant Google Home Mini, but the MAC address vendor says Wyze Labs. My other two cameras are properly identified as Wyze cameras. The firmware of the misidentified camera is 4.9.6.241.

Anyone else seeing this?

No, I have a similar scanner called Ning and my oldish V2 cameras come up as “Wyze Labs Inc”. Wonder what yours is using to classify other than the MAC range owner…

Just for good measure, I checked several scans on my network.
My Mikrotik router (DHCP server) is showing all 18 V2 cameras and two Pan cams as nothing for the active host, but the eight V3 cameras show as WyzeCam, and the two Outdoor plugs show as Wyze Outdoor Plug.
My Meraki WiFi shows all 28 Wyze cameras as Generic Linux, and the two Outdoor plugs as Eye-Fi Wireless Memory Card.
The LAN scanner on my phone shows the Outdoor plugs as Wyze Labs Inc. The first four V3 cameras show as Wyze Labs Inc and the last four V3 cameras Show Unknown device. The 20 V2 cameras are a mixed collection of Wyze Labs Inc and Duratech Enterprise, LLC

1 Like

@K6CCC That you’re running Mikrotik and Meraki means I need to follow you. Pi-Hole, too?

Also, it matters where they are getting their MAC labels from. Fing self-sources AFAIK. I can’t use that on iOS because it won’t allow reporting out MACs.

I remember when Apple “fixed” it so you could no longer see MACs - very annoying. In my case, both my router and access points will correctly report the MAC.

I use iPhones but they’re not my primary smart phone. Though I hadn’t heard about this arbitrary MAC blocking it’s a perfect illustration why. Inane. There are so many ways they could have allowed this to work and still address privacy. How about just passing enough of the value to see the manufacturer prefix? How about prompting the user? Way to cripple a handheld computer. :frowning:

Interesting. The Wyze app on my iPad shows me the MAC addresses of all my cameras, which correspond to the MAC addresses I view using FING on Android phone or browsing my router using Safari and Firefox on my Mac desktop.

I think what you’re reading is Apple blocking the MAC address of their devices on the internet, which can be used for tracking. In the iOS WiFi settings there is an option to generate a “private” address to fool trackers. Turning it on can also block the device from your local network if you use MAC filtering on your router. FING and my router report the correct MAC for my iThings as I don’t have the privacy option flipped when I’m connected to my home network.

chrisjost answered my original question, FING is trying to figure out what type of device is being monitored using their own LUT. I was concerned that maybe Wyze was up to something with Google, but apparently not.

That’s not what the Fing docs say. They say Apple’s change prevents them from seeing the phone’s ARP table to retrieve the MACs of other devices the phone has reached. So I don’t know how it could work for you. On the other hand the Wyze app could be talking directly to the camera to identify the MAC of that camera.

1 Like