WyzeCam becoming more & more unusable?

Dude, you wanna go in on a Asus together? We could do joint custody, I get it for the first three years, you get it thereafter, waddaya say? :grin:

/edit

Wait, I just heard I had a lot of money in my savings account but nowhere to spend it…

…Woohoo! Hedge fund girl was right, score!!

image image :clap:

1 Like

I wish you luck finding a company that you’ll be as satisfied with on day 1000 as you are on day 10.

You’ll probably have better luck with a company that is long established, but even then, at some point as growth begins to slow, someone will think it is a great idea to start cutting costs (and thus support, development, etc.).

A granular time lapse of the principals’ faces since inception might be interesting

image 's version is kinda scary.

Well said……

Very good statement. Wyze HAS to get this act together. Ever wonder if management reads these post. If they did, something would hopefully happen…NOT!

1 Like

A speculation.

What percentage of customers never budge off the ISP-provided WiFi router?
What percentage upgrade to a Costco-level ‘premium’ product?
What percentage upgrade to a true premium (or enterprise) product?

Razor and blades

The razor is the low-margin devices.
The blades are the recurring services.

Why wouldn’t Wyze add a customized router to the razor lineup?

Wireless stability would improve
Customer support costs would fall
Customer satisfaction would rise
Additional purchases would increase
As would sales of essential services
And profits

Stable connectivity is the IoT linchpin.

Why leave it so much to chance?

Thoughts, @Customer , @spamoni , any others?

1 Like

I agree, in spite of the absolute glut of routers out there, if Wyze were to produce or rebadge something quite good (as they did with the original V1 and V2 cameras) it could be a worthy competitor in that “space”. Signal strength, capacity, and stability are key, possibly in reverse order. As a bonus they could incorporate the low power segment that wakes and talks to the WCO models.

I gotta wonder whether the newer routers are better partly because they push the limits of FCC signal strength in these bands. "Mesh* shouldn’t be significantly better than my two access points connected by Ethernet, but from most accounts it is?

1 Like

Interesting Thought.

First let me say that I believe very few actually change from their default ISP provided routers. I would also venture to say that a percentage of individuals who say they do, actually leave the router in place and add WiFi Nodes and turn off the ISP Provided WiFi. I think the Percentages decrease as you go through your list. Note: We are talking about Home users not businesses, correct?

• Keep ISP providers: about 70%,
  • Upgrade to Costco-level Premium: about 20%
  • Purchase the more expensive routers: about 10%.

I like to tinker with Technology and figure out how it all works and what the limits are. I used to run my own PBX with ViaTalk VoIP service. It was fun, but required a lot of work. It also required a lot of tweaking with QOS on the routers. Yea, I am sick that way. :slight_smile:

I seem to recall that there is a possibility that Wyze may be looking into providing a router in the future. I remember so survey where tey were asking about routers. But I may have been dreaming. Now I need to see if I can find it.

I agree that it would be a great idea for Wyze to come out with a Router. One which could provide the necessary stability and efficient streaming of their devices. It would have to be a valid competitor though: WiFi 6 or even 6E, Mesh Technology which can support Ethernet Backhauls and possibly even Power. Available Ethernet Ports on the Nodes and even a USB ports to attach a potential Wyze Hub. :wink:

Heck, I would be happy with a Hub Like Hubitat or SmartThings. You can then connect your camera’s to the Hub or WiFi, which ever you want. In addition all devices could then utilize the hub and perform local processing. I think it would bolster the experience as well.

Either way, I would purchase a Wyze Router and a Hub.

1 Like

I would say that the router would be a loss leader bad investment on there end,what we don’t understand is that we are a service company and we manage over 12 sites,87 cameras and customers that we have maintenance contracts with and our service technicians are busy installing new cameras for customers and we rarely get service calls for cameras not working,if we do get a call its allways customers did something wrong, in the 2.5 years we only replace 1 V2 camera,I would say the majority of people that have wyze cameras have no clue about there cameras they just want an item to work

1 Like

I was thinking of replacing my isp provided router with this one from Asus: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BNH26P/?coliid=I34C4ZTHT73RZO&colid=114BLLBZVZTSH&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Anyone have experience with this or similar re: using it with Wyze systems or have any other thoughts in general?

You will get need to be able to have separate SSID 1 for 2.2ghz,1 for 5ghz. I don’t know if that item will do that

Most routers in that price range allow you to set your SSID names separately for both bands, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

The biggest issue I find with most consumer routers is inadequate cooling. At the low end, I’ve seen some horrific lack of heatsinking. Even the ones that have a decent heatsink rarely have active cooling. My LinksysWRT has a decent heatsink, but no fan. Buying a USB fan and setting it on top (the Linksys fortunately has top vented, not at the back rear like the one you are considering) dramatically dropped the reported temperatures of the the WiFI chip and CPU.

My previous Linksys of the same model developed flakey WiFi over time, while after adding the fan to this one, it has far exceeded the lifetime of the previous one with no noticeable issues.

The new wifi 6 smart wireless routers use only SSID on both bands,which is bad most wireless devices do not recognize the auto mode due to the age.

Hi @kae4560

In your opinion, is the average person capable of successfully setting up and maintaining a mesh router, the Wyze app and ten v3 cameras in and around their single family home?

If Wyze DID decide to market a quality router, what do you think is the MOST they could charge for it, given their customer base?

The average person, the answer is no,for the wifi router it all depends on what chip set the router will be useing,$120.00-$180.00 a good router to use now is the tp-link ac1700,we have those deploy at a few customers locations,we also deploy this router for our cable
customers Motorola MG8702 | DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem + Wi-Fi Router (High Speed Combo) with Intelligent Power Boost | AC3200 Wi-Fi Speed | Approved for Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Charter Spectrum.excell router/wifi,and this model also NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem WiFi Router Combo C7000-Compatible with Cable Providers Including Xfinity by Comcast, Spectrum, Cox for Cable Plans Up to 800Mbps | AC1900 WiFi Speed | DOCSIS 3.0 both are excellent good chip set,our service technicians mount the router as hi up on the wall to get the maximum wifi coverage,we have notice that if the router is mounted at 10-14ft. Above ground will give you an average of 6-18 daily gain over if the router is sitting on a desk.

So the stability and reliability of the Wyze devices depends largely upon replacing the ISP router with one of proven quality and suitability, and on the skillful setup and installation by experienced technicians?

It all depends on the individual knowledge of wifi,router info,also on a cable ISP/TV need to check the signal level on the line at the modem/router our service technicians have found that alot of the cable systems the dbm is way to hot which over loads the modem and goes into fail soft,need to have the IP provider put there test set on the line and test it,and get the levels balanced.

1 Like

Interesting K, thanks. That’s info I don’t recall seeing here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Copy

My current Spectrum-provided wifi6 router has only the one SSID and it automatically assigns out which band. So that shouldn’t be a problem if the Asus one does the same. If I got it, I would just be hoping that it would be faster and more reliable than the one Spectrum gave me.

UPDATE: I saw it I could get it delivered tomorrow, so I couldn’t resist. Too eager to see if this new router will make a difference with the cameras. Will report back my findings.

1 Like