Wyze would sell more V3 cameras if they didn't need to have power recycled periodically

So we have…

OP @tomac14 at wit’s end with a stand-alone $100+? willing to pay a PREMIUM for certainty

@tbagcam at $0 (+rental fee?) for an AT&T isp-supplied
@customer banging his head against the wall (less) at a future $59 refurb stand-alone :slight_smile:
@R.Good at ~$70 for a stand-alone, IoT-dedicated
@slabslayer at ~$45 for a stand-alone with extender ~$35
@Omgitstony at ~$125 for an access point (AP) tied to isp-router (+rental fee?)
image at $170 (on sale costco) for a 3-node mesh (using only 2)
@ssummerlin at ~$185 for a stand-alone IoT-dedicated
@spamoni and @carverofchoice at ~$400+ for multi-node mesh
@Bam at ~$500+ for a 3-node mesh

Did I miss anyone? This maven-level detail is exhausting. :yawning_face:

4 Likes

Well, you left out Tony - apparently not such Ubiquity after all. (Edit: slippery little amphibian added it.). And the frog telling everyone to get religion.

2 Likes

You could do worse. :slight_smile:

So, what…?

• Many devices and configurations CAN work. But which is MOST LIKELY to?
  • Who would be in the best position to determine this? Wyze?
  • Throwing money at the problem may not be necessary.
  • Throwing bandwidth at the problem may not be necessary. Good upstream capacity may be key.
  • And is there really any better method than trial-and-error (with a 90-day return option) for the average customer?

FWIW, the S.O. suggests the topic title be changed to something like:

Can a New Router Keep My Stuff Connected?
or
Can a Better Router Make My Stuff Stay Connected?

…to better represent the topic as it’s evolved (and generate more traffic.)

She has a hard time keeping her opinions to herself. :roll_eyes:

Waddaya say, @tomac14 , has this exercise been of much use? :slight_smile:

Hmm first we’ve heard of a Mrs. Pee.

1 Like

I have found this to be so. And yes, size matters. :wink:

1 Like

Who would know small better than the Brits? :grin:

(He’s meaner than he looks, folks.)

I think the work I’ve done here is exemplary. Perhaps a little ‘Maven Wear’ is in order.

(Hurry, @tomac14, the thread’s getting away from you… :wink: )

Jester wear for sure.

Meant as a compliment.

1 Like

Thanks, Steve!

@tomac14

I have a friend who’s a damn good artist and good critical thinker and he has no interest in insurance but needed it. He was really happy with the agent that visited because he made a good presentation of options then told him exactly what to do. My friend loved this. He was smiling over the phone when he said it.

So, I’m gonna try it here.

Looks like @spamoni responded most precisely to your stated wants and needs - with no qualifications!

He’s a Maven, his pick is backstopped by another (more voluble) Maven, you’re willing to pay a premium and Wyze has a router coming out but they don’t want you to know just yet.

So… Buy this:

ASUS ZenWiFi AX (XT8) Mesh

And don’t look back.

:wink:

2 Likes

I have 2- V3 cameras that do this, and of course it;'s always when I’m on vacation or 400 miles away.
I do have 2 other V3 cams that are fine, and they’re all the latest firmware

if the product does not properly negotiate, respond, and recover from network issues…that’s entirely a firmware issue.
resilient embedded systems use effective event logging (none on wyze cameras) and other recovery methods to increase it’s availability/reliability.

1 Like

And therein lies the faulty reasoning. It’s easier to treat the symptom of the illness then it is to differentially diagnose the source cause and cure the disease when one doesn’t know where to or how to look for it.

If it is being caused by network issues, as the overwhelming evidence laid before you in the 70 preceding posts suggest, fix the network issues. But, it is far easier for some to blame the peripheral network clients for not being the supercomputing holy grail of IoT we have all delusionally fantasized them to be.

In the end, it is a $30 cam. An industry disrupting, feature rich, $30 cam.

Please find me the $30 rock solid bulletproof cam with your resilient embedded systems that can handle 100% uptime HD streaming on any crappy network or ISP out there, with the CamPlus features Wyze has for $5 $1.25 a month, and you will have my attention.

EDIT: My mistake, $5 a month is for my HMS subscription. CamPlus is $1.25 \ month.

1 Like

This is V3 of the Wyze camera. IMHO, being low cost doesn’t mean is has to come with bugs, like failing to connect and the poor audio, on all versions. My cheap broadlink rmpro is always connected and it was dirt cheap. I haven’t rebooted in …I don’t even remember.

2 Likes

true, treating the symptom is often the best time/$ tradeoff, but I’m seeing many different “solutions” at pretty high cost. it’s really just throwing network hardware at it and then claiming root cause was a “bad” router, and then recommending to others to do the same. Root cause has not been measured, and is not understood.

basic reporting of network status/strength/etc in logs available to users is very simple. no super-computing necessary. and basic reset logic “I’ve been disconnected for 10 minutes, log event, reboot and try to recover”… simple stuff for embedded devices.
And the end-points are the best place to collect that type of troubleshooting information…all the responsibility of the firmware. IoT, M2M, doesn’t matter. it’s not an 8086, it can get it done.

Yes, it’s definitely a great price, and I don’t recall reading anyone demanding 100% uptime. but those are both moving the goal posts.
The point is the various network issues that users are experiencing could be better understood through basic firmware improvements. And ruling out firmware as a contributing component to the issue is not possible without better diagnostics.

The only things on my networks that are consistently dropping off are my wyze devices.
hell, root cause could even be an app issue failing to initiate comms correctly and improperly reporting the device as not connected…again…better debug and diagnostics would be needed.

If I do find a better camera, I will definitely let everyone know though, that’ll be sweet. maybe their SD cards record reliably as well :slight_smile:

most of my cameras are line of sight to my router, all display full bars (a dB value would be more useful), yet I’ve experienced connectivity issues intermittently as well.

1 Like

I’ve had excellent luck with Eero mesh networks. My Gigabit fiber internet connection came with a two-node Eero mesh network! This made my installation very easy!

Their hardware is solid. The software is regularly improving with new features.

I agree with the person who said to use the ISP-supplied box to bring in the data and then go to your own WiFi network.

The most important thing I like about Eero is their technical support. I give it an A++. I’m not an engineer, and they have helped several times. It bugs me that computer magazines don’t assess customer support when they review equipment.

Cheers!

What nobody mentions is their A+ support.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply.
Wyze has a PROBLEM with their V3 cams dropping off line.
Wyze may NOT be the CAUSE of the problem.
But Wyze has a PROBLEM.
It may be the ISP or the modem or the router or the house.
But Wyze has a PROBLEM.
The name on the camera is WYZE.
Wyze would sell more cameras and other products, if they did NOT drop off line.
Wyze needs to address this PROBLEM.
Build and sell a router that fixes the problem or change something in the camera.
No matter whose fault it is,

• Wyze has a PROBLEM.
        Until Wyze addresses this PROBLEM,
      • Wyze has a PROBLEM.
        The message here is
      • Wyze has a PROBLEM.
2 Likes

Thanks for your excellent comprehensive discussion.
I agree many things may be causing the PROBLEM.
But Wyze needs to accept that Wyze has a PROBLEM.
Wyze has a PROBLEM with their V3 cams dropping off line.
Wyze may NOT be the CAUSE of the problem.
But Wyze has a PROBLEM.
It may be the ISP or the modem or the router or the house.
But Wyze has a PROBLEM.
The name on the camera is WYZE.
Wyze would sell more cameras and other products, if they did NOT drop off line.
Wyze needs to address this PROBLEM.
Build and sell a router that fixes the problem or change something in the camera.
No matter whose fault it is,

• Wyze has a PROBLEM.
        Until Wyze addresses this PROBLEM,
      • Wyze has a PROBLEM.
        The message here is
      • Wyze has a PROBLEM.
1 Like

I challenge carver to answer in less than a screenful. A laptop screenful even. Let’s be liberal. :wink:

2 Likes

As it is, I’ve had to set all 8 of my Wyze cam (mixture of V2 & V3’s) to power cycle 4X daily for any sort of reliable operation. Even then there are still glitches when displaying live feed on my Echo Show devices periodically from any cam…