Wyze V4 vs V3 Pro Cameras

Okay. So which cam is better? I have several Wyze cams/products and looking to add a couple new cameras. I dont really care about audio. Any reason not so get the new V4 since it is cheaper?

1 Like

I have wifi 6 and wifi 5 and understand the aspects of 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, but I have two cams very near the router and throught the through-put would be better. I definitely plan to use 2.4Ghz for my distant cams.

I don’t believe I get much more than I currently have with my beautiful v3 cams. I don’t use the flood light as my cams sit on the window sill. I could see them being useful for the outdoors or in my garage.

1 Like

A sincere fondness developed by a user for a designed thing is the ultimate compliment to the designer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is this cam a step back because it seems like there is no advanced detection like V3 Pro offers (Person vehicle package etc) Is this true that it doesn’t offer any?
Does anyone know why on the for sale page the WDR slider shows it’s worse when enabled for v4. It’s suppose to offer better range of color between dark and bright, right? But it seems like whoever put it up only had the interest to show how it make color pop, blowing away some highlights that can’t be seen anymore and making some dark area more darker. Whoever is working with Wyze should pull that down and re-do it because it seems like a mistake. If not, it’s seriously a feature that’s making the v4 worse. I guess most people might just glance at it for a second and think it’s nice to see richer colors. But pay attention to the clouds from the area where the sun is coming from and you will see them gone with WDR on. Also look at some dark areas and you will see the same result

2 Likes

Cam v3 Pro and Cam v4 have the same AI detection offerings.

The v4 sales page example looks good to me. WDR in actual v4 streams and footage looks even better.

Cam pro v3 does offer on-device person detection and cam v4 does not. I’ve heard that this is because cam v4 doesn’t have as much available RAM as v3 pro does. Cam v4 does offer the standard cloud-based person detection, though, if you have Cam Plus. Cam v4 has the same resolution as v3 pro, but offers better HDR and speaker and mic than v3 pro.

I’m curious if the video is less compressed than v3 pro is.

3 Likes

Cam v4 has the same on-board Edge AI as Cam v3 Pro.

Wyze doesn’t usually share compression rate info. One of the Wyze devs posted some Cam v3 compression details somewhere on this forum a long time ago. I’m doubt they’ll take the time to chime in here.

2 Likes

I concur. Thanks for pointing it out to me. I just realized I like my v3 cams. I am content.

1 Like

From what I can tell, the only negative difference between the V4 and the V3 Pro is that the V3 Pro has 1GB of RAM onboard and the V4 only has 256MB of RAM, is that correct? And if so, how will only have 25% of the RAM of the V3 Pro affect the camera? Will performance suffer?

And are there any other “downgrades” in the V4 over the V3 Pro? Things that are better about the V3 Pro than the V4?

1 Like

I have these lovably abused black v2s that have braved the weather bravely without skins or housings or nuttin’. They’re homely as hell and defiant, cheers to them! :cam_v2: :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. That suggests an “opportunity” for a v4 Pro.

V2s are reliable, but I have to put them to sleep when it gets dark outside. V3s run 24 hours a day. All my cams live inside but do see a lot of Florida sunshine.

2 Likes

I generally wait two or three years before springing for the next big thing, wait for them to iron the bugs out. Just got a couple v3s last July, installed them in December, they are real nice, and also black. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

V4 (top) V3 pro (bottom). Not sure how well the differences will show but V4 has noticeably less compression artifacts and pixelation. This is in total darkness with IR. Only allowed to post one image, otherwise I’d post some from day as well; but same idea.

3 Likes

I can confirm that 1.5 Mbps per cam is correct. At the cottage I have three v3s and only 1Mbps upload speed from the ISP. I can’t view any of the cams remotely at HD, only SD in a single view or 360p in a group. Even at 360p in a group they still fight for attention. That is the reason I’m not rushing to replace them with v4s until my ISP offers higher upload speeds.

1 Like

Keep in mind that group view only streams at 360p resolution, unless Wyze has changed that recently.

The best comparison would be to have two devices side by side and both stream at the highest resolution.

1 Like

Fair point but the original observation remains. V3 pro has more pixelation and compression artifacts.
V4:

2 Likes

V3 pro:

1 Like

You can definitely see the improved dynamic range as well.

1 Like

It better be better than the v3 with four times the resolution :slight_smile:

Edit: I just realized that that is the Pro V3. All I can say is, WOW!

1 Like