Wyze thermostat turning on both AC and Heat in Heat mode

I opened the Wyze adapter since I wasn’t using it (5 wires to my thermostat) and diagrammed the circuit.

The R lead is switched to G and to Y.

2 Likes

Right. W is a straight path through the adapter, nothing connects to it. I think they just put W on the adapter to make it easier/put all the wires in one place.

My daughter replaced a battery operated 4 wire thermostat with the Wyze thermostat. Followed the directions exactly, which required the C Adapter. But the AC came on, as well as the furnace, whenever the heat mode was activated.

Wyze requested photos of old thermostat wiring and new wiring, which we sent. Then asked for more photos… Never offered a solution.

We determined, with a multimeter, that the C Adapter and thermostat were sending on signal to Y wire in heat mode.

Don’t waste your time with a ticket. Use a spare wire in the wiring harness to run from C to C ( be sure to label it) and match the original wires as they were before.

I don’t think it affected heating, but it did use a lot more electricity than it should have using the C Adapter.

I had the same problem, what I found out was I was putting the y wire form my ac into my adapter instead of the sone from my thermostat. Find out what y is from the thermostat and put that into the adapter then the end of that y from the adapter put that one and the yellow from the ac onto the furnace and it should work

When you use the C adapter, it uses the Y wire to send both the fan signal and compressor signal from the thermostat to the adapter, and uses the G wire as the common wire. Therefore, if your compressor is in series with the thermostat run, instead of both the thermostat and the compressor being hooked up directly to the air handler, your compressor will run whenever the thermostat calls for the fan to run.

But you’re correct, whenever possible, it is best to use a real C wire.

Why would it use “Y” wire (cooling) in heatingmode,?

It runs the fan (G) using the Y wire when the C adapter is installed. The C adapter detects the fan (G) signal on the Y wire and turns on just the G wire, but if your compressor attached to the Y wire between the thermostat and the C adapter, it will also be turned on by a fan (G) signal.

Exact same issue here, but it’s not clicking in my brain. I have 4 wire to thermostat and a c-wire on the furnace board. I connect the c adaptor to associated colors and left the c wire (on board) where it’s at. I must be missing something. Any help is greatly appreicated.

I had to hook it up per the wizard (ac fan came on with heater), then wired thermostat the same as the heater (no adapter)

You’ve got your compressor in series with the thermostat. the fact that you don’t have separate Y and C wires running to the compressor tells me this. Find the splice point and i can show you how to add a wire to fix this problem. see this post. Wyze Thermostat Problem - AC on with Heat - #37 by speadie

2 Likes

Splice point?? And thank you for your time!!

follow the thermostat wires from your furnace to the point where it splits into 2 different wires- one will go to the a/c compressor outdoors, and one will go to the thermostat